Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

motm95

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
This is a no-brainer. I do use Facebook, but the instant this option is turned on, I’ll be opting out of all tracking and targeted advertising. Thanks, Apple. There are lots of things that Apple does with iOS that bug the hell out of me, but this ain’t one of them.

Reactions: xpaulso and Gasu E.

ShadowJade

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2014

Apple has responded to Facebook's criticism over an upcoming iOS 14 privacy measure — specifically a change that will require users to grant permission for their activity to be tracked for personalized advertising purposes starting early next year.

ios-14-tracking-permission-prompt.jpg

In a statement provided to MacRumors, Apple said "we believe that this is a simple matter of standing up for our users," adding that "users should know when their data is being collected and shared across other apps and websites — and they should have the choice to allow that or not." The options to allow or deny the tracking will be presented in the form of a prompt that appears as necessary when users open apps.

Apple's full statement:As part of its response to Facebook, Apple emphasized that it welcomes in-app advertising and is not prohibiting tracking, but simply requiring apps to obtain explicit user consent in order to track users for personalized advertising purposes, providing users with more control and transparency. Apple said tracking can be invasive, and as a result, it believes users have the right to make choices about the permissions they grant to apps.

Apple also highlighted the fact that developers like Facebook will be able to edit a section of the text that appears in the prompt to explain why users should allow tracking, and it provided a screenshot to visualize this.

facebook-ios-14-tracking-prompt.jpg

In the Settings app, users can view which apps have requested permission to track for advertising purposes, and make changes as they see fit. Apple said that if it becomes aware of an app that violates its App Store Review Guidelines in relation to this change, the developer must address the issue or the app will be removed from the App Store.

Apple said that this change has been on its roadmap for years, and that it will apply equally to all developers, including Apple.

Last, Apple noted that it is expanding its privacy-preserving SKAdNetwork ad attribution API, allowing third-party ad networks serving ads across a wide variety of apps to provide ad attribution to developers without knowing the identity of the user. Apple says SKAdNetwork is free to use and that it does not monetize the API.

Facebook's Criticism

Earlier today, in a blog post and a full-page ad published in three major newspapers, Facebook claimed that Apple's tracking change will have a "harmful impact on many small businesses that are struggling to stay afloat."

"We disagree with Apple's approach and solution, yet we have no choice but to show Apple's prompt," said Facebook. "If we don't, they will block Facebook from the App Store, which would only further harm the people and businesses that rely on our services. We cannot take this risk on behalf of the millions of businesses who use our platform to grow."

Facebook said Apple's anti-tracking change is "about profit, not privacy," claiming that small businesses will be forced to turn to subscriptions and other in-app payments for revenue, in turn benefitting Apple's bottom line. Facebook also accused Apple of setting a double standard, claiming that the iPhone maker's own personalized ad platform is not subject to the upcoming iOS 14 policy, a claim that Apple has now denied.

"We believe Apple is behaving anti-competitively by using their control of the App Store to benefit their bottom line at the expense of app developers and small businesses," said Facebook. The company said it would continue to "explore ways to address this concern," including supporting Epic Games in its antitrust lawsuit against Apple.

Article Link: Apple Responds to Facebook's Anti-Tracking Criticism, Says Users Deserve Control and Transparency
Is it ironic that as I read this story there is an ad for Swarovski crystal in the top right of the MacRumors page? I have never been on a Swarovski website, or said Swarovski to Siri...but I bought a Swarovski crystal bracelet for My mother-in-law the other day...with my Apple Card! Who is selling my information now?

Jamison7

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2020
Yes, Facebook collects and gives away users data. But Apple can't be cleared of allegations of doing the same. Under the pressure of gov't and security agencies, like the FBI, Apple has caved and provided backdoors to access users' data through iCloud: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ps-after-fbi-complained-sources-idUSKBN1ZK1CT

Snowden's leaks revealed Apple's participation in PRISM, also providing the NSA backdoors to users. Apple denies this but so did Facebook, Google, etc.While Apple isn't profiting off of users' data like Facebook, it certainly is not making explicit to its users what data is being collected and who is able to access the data.

Ds6778

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2016
This is great and all, but Developers are just gonna “force” users too agree in order to use the App/Service. Look at what Google Photos does, it’s either access to all photos or nothing. Facebook will update the app, you’ll open the app and be greeted with a ambiguous pop-up and you’ll either agree or you won’t be able to use it at all.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
This is great and all, but Developers are just gonna “force” users too agree in order to use the App/Service. Look at what Google Photos does, it’s either access to all photos or nothing. Facebook will update the app, you’ll open the app and be greeted with a ambiguous pop-up and you’ll either agree or you won’t be able to use it at all.
If Developers start that garbage, I won’t use the app.

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
Facebook is whining that privacy is now being treated seriously and things are being enacted that should have been done long ago.

It’s like a factory that opens and gets to dump all their toxic waste directly into the lake nearby because no laws prohibit it. So the city or county passes an ordinance forbidding it, and then they cry they’re being hampered. Maybe, but you also got lucky in the first place.

Runs For Fun

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2017
It’s funny how Facebook made a stink in a newspaper ad when they sure as hell know their users don’t read newspapers.

Zuckyzuck thinks he’s slick...
They’re targeting a group of their users that do still read newspapers. The older generation who also seem to be fans of Facebook.

The Mad Kiwi

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2006
In Hell
Facebook know if they have to ask, almost all people will reject their tracking since most people prefer privacy over being spied on.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
I haven’t read the developer documentation on this, can somebody clarify something for me: what does the app know about the users depiction? Does it know when they deny access, or does it get a fake tracking code? If the latter then that does seem a little unfair, as they have no opportunity to deny access to users who aren’t willing to pay the cost (in tracking), and this make it a fair choice for users (service at a price or no service). If they do get that information, and can offer the customer that choice, then they don’t have a leg to stand on.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
Why can’t you stay in touch with people you care about without Facebook? You already have the tools needed.
If you offered to give me $100,000 to name 5 people I went to high school with I would be walking home.
But if you asked me to name their pets...

iSRS

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
If Apple really wants to give users a “choice”, it shouldn’t be limited to advertising. Give me a choice of app stores or default messaging apps.
55C7030E-409E-44E4-9FF6-C7E6368A6976.jpeg

It’s funny how Facebook made a stink in a newspaper ad when they sure as hell know their users don’t read newspapers.

Zuckyzuck thinks he’s slick...
Putting a full page ad in a newspaper still makes it appear to be actual journalism, not an ad, to many people.
Sad that newspapers are allowed to run an ad so full of false statements.

Is it ironic that as I read this story there is an ad for Swarovski crystal in the top right of the MacRumors page? I have never been on a Swarovski website, or said Swarovski to Siri...but I bought a Swarovski crystal bracelet for My mother-in-law the other day...with my Apple Card! Who is selling my information now?
I’m guessing what ever ad service macrumors is using is reading your cookies. Don’t overthink it.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Someone please clarify this for me, it says that Facebook will track you across "Websites and apps". I get that they will know what I am doing in their app but will they be able to see what is in my email, my Safari browsing, my Apple TV, YouTube watch history, SMS?!

Is this like an iOS system wide cookie? I got same message installing YouTube app.

This is exactly how it should be. Facebook tracks the user, Apple is responsible for making sure the user knows that this occurs in their platform. The user then has a choice to participate or not. This isn’t complicated.

This is exactly Facebook's problem. The loophole in the system was that Facebook writes this exact thing in a 134 page Terms&Services agreement in complex legal terms so that people do not understand, click agree, they are ignorant and if anything FB is protected by the law as per the agreement.

Now Apple puts it up there, summed and clear "This will track you across websites and apps. This will give you personalised ads". So the people are more informed now and it collapses Facebook business model "gather data on ignorant people with their legal consent"

Reactions: DNichter

innovationwho

Cancelled
Oct 20, 2020
this. But we need another alternative. Perhaps Apple should create a social network with how they view privacy and security
I agree, but sadly. If Apple provides everything for us, even if there is competition. There will be people to keep bashing Apple as a monopoly. (They should look into the food companies before Apple tbh.)

Reactions: TheBuffather

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Facebookers already know damn well they're tracked and mined and collated and amortized and monetized to all hell --- And They Don't Care.
It's all about the Likes. It's all about addiction. This tracking warning screen won't do nuthin to stop them from clicking through. None of them will leave the platform They're all plugged into the matrix .

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Facebook’s “small business” argument is very weak.

If Facebook were to close shop today, one or more services would enter and take their place. Simple as that. The existence of businesses doesn’t begin and end with Facebook. ??‍♂️

While small business will 100% be OK in the long term without Facebook, Facebook is not OK without data from users.

Labeno

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
Tesla proves you don't need to advertise.
Before the internet, blind advertising was successful; "Where's the Beef?"

Facebook needs to end, and send their employees to Tesla and Blind ad agencies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.