Apple Resumes Selling Belkin's InvisiGlass Ultra Screen Protector for iPhone X Following Durability Improvements

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 16, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple this week has begun selling an updated version of Belkin's InvisiGlass Ultra screen protector for iPhone X on its website and at its retail stores, nearly two months after the original was recalled due to quality issues.

[​IMG]

Belkin's product page states that the screen protector is now 0.29mm thick, compared to 0.21mm for the original InvisiGlass Ultra. As such, the new version will hopefully prove to be more durable, after dozens of customers complained about the first iteration cracking way too easily during normal day-to-day usage.

Belkin halted sales of the original InvisiGlass Ultra in late December due to a wave of negative feedback, including several one-star customer reviews. At the time, a company spokesperson told MacRumors that it considers "product quality and consumer feedback" to be of "paramount importance."

"We have been constantly testing this product since we released the first generation of it timed to iPhone X availability and things have evolved since you and I last spoke," a Belkin spokesperson informed MacRumors. "We identified some improvements to be made in the next generation of this product."

Apple and Belkin appear to have been providing refunds to customers who purchased the original InvisiGlass Ultra and found it to be defective, so we recommend contacting the companies if your screen protector easily cracked.

The new InvisiGlass Ultra remains $39.95 from Apple. The updated screen protector is still listed as "coming soon" on Belkin's website.

(Thanks, Christian!)

Article Link: Apple Resumes Selling Belkin's InvisiGlass Ultra Screen Protector for iPhone X Following Durability Improvements

2. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

I'd be surprised if you could bend a glass screen protector in the fashion shown in the picture. Unless of course their solution was to now make it out of film rather than glass...

3. Malcster macrumors 6502a

I have the original version on mine still, no issues so far.

4. MisterTree macrumors newbie

MisterTree

Are there any glass protectors for the back?

I want both sides protected before I go caseless with protector only.

5. Thai macrumors 65816

Thai

Same with me. Original still works great on my X! However, the same brand on my old 7+ was crap...crack just by looking at it wrong!

6. blcamp macrumors member

blcamp

No thanks. I would never buy a glass-based screen protector. Only mylar/plastic/vinyl/etc. for me.

Maybe Apple could find a way to make a sandwiched screen material, similar to automotive glass...

7. Thai macrumors 65816

Thai

Why not glass based? I am curious.

8. justiny Contributor

justiny

I’ve been using glass screen shields since my iPhone 4, never had any issues. I prefer the feel of glass, as the vinyl screen protectors just feel so plastic and wrong on a $1,000+ device.

But $40 for any screen shield is outrageous. Anyone paying more than $10 is paying too much.

9. Avieshek Suspended

Avieshek

10. CJM macrumors 65816

CJM

I’ve gone naked on my iPhone screen and so far it’s done very well. Only a single faint scratch about 5mm long which can only be seen on a black screen with a strong light reflected off it.

11. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

I agree, there are lots of much cheaper alternatives on Ebay for instance, or Alie, they are made of the same material, didn't have lots of trouble with them, mine were mostly a few dollars, lasts long enough to be much cheaper in the end, even if you need to replace a few times.

12. Thai macrumors 65816

Thai

Had them but they are too small for the iPhone X screen (as is the case for 99% of protectors out there)...you see rainbow effect at the edges because protector edge is same as edge of display. The Belkin is slightly better at this, esp if you let Apple Store install it.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 16, 2018 ---
    Glass protectors also absorb shock better than plastic/vinyl ones because they absorb shock then crack...thus dispersing the shock before reaching actual display. Plastics just bend and your display still gets all the shock.

13. robjulo macrumors 65816

Any recommendations on a cheaper alternative?

14. Thai macrumors 65816

Thai

In my limited experience, NONE, even Invisibleshield sucks. All seems to come from one factory in China! LOL. All are too small for the display. IMO, Belkin is the only that is passable.

15. justiny Contributor

justiny

I’ve been using Anker glass screen protectors since my 5s. They’re excellent quality (as is everything else Anker offers) and they’re inexpensive enough where replacing them isn’t a big deal.

I’ve had to replace three screen protectors on the wife’s 6s because our toddler’s life goal is to destroy everything he touches. They do the job well.

16. coolfactor macrumors 68040

Yah, I don't understand the allure of screen protectors when the glass itself is already super-strong.

17. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

I was going to say something similar as you did. I don’t use screen protectors, and this is coming from somebody that also does not use cases where I don’t have to. I’m also cautious with my iPhones and I don’t put them in pockets with other items that could scratch it. And I have no scratches on any of my iPhones today, at least no scratches visible to My eye. I think screen protectors are great for added protection, but I personally do not think they are needed. I have always been pleased with the durability with Apples display and quality.

18. blackcrayon macrumors 68000

Because the glass is still crackable, and a screen protector vastly improves your chances of cracking it and not the screen glass on your $1200 phone. I hadn't used them before the X, because I have a very minimal case that doesn't protect the face of the screen at all. Having a glass screen protector doesn't change the feel at all to my fingers, and I don't mind the hairline visibility of it at the extreme edges.

19. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

My 8 plus is the first iPhone I've had where I've not used a screen protector. It's got a big scratch on the screen, BUT it's only visible with the screen off, at certain angles, and with a bright light shining on it. The screens DO scratch, just that the majority of the scratches are not visible under normal circumstances .... this may or may not bother you. This round I've just decided to get over it as the phone goes back to apple in 6 months anyway...

20. bushman4 macrumors 68020

Had Invisiglass on my iPhone X and it cracked under normal use Hopefully the new one will solve that problem by being thicker
    The one good thing about Invisiglass is the fit. It does a good job of hugging the edges
    As for the price Belkin capitalizing on what used to be a good product ...it should be cheaper
    Lastly The one good thing about their product is that they stand by their warranty and Apple honors it as well as these are put on in an Apple store

21. Radeon85 macrumors 6502

So far I've had my Belkin InvisiGlass on my X almost 5 months and the protector itself is still in flawless condition.

22. Thai macrumors 65816

Thai

We must have gotten a good batch! I do believe that there are many bad batches out there! My 7+ one was pathetic. It literally cracked while resting on my desk! (Trust me, i am being 101% honest here)

23. justiny Contributor

justiny

I think for most people, that is the case. Chalk it up to my OCD, but I need a screen shield just for my own sanity (and my two-year-old, as mentioned above).

I always have babied my Apple devices, but the smallest bit of pocket sand on my iPhone screen has ruined my day in the past. About a year ago, my 8-year-old nephew was playing a game on my 6s and his fingernail somehow managed to scratch the glass. Not a big scratch at all, less than a 1/4 inch, but it happened and now that’s all I see.

For me, screen shields are in the category of I’d rather have them and not need them than need them and not have them. And they’re less than $10, so no harm there.

24. FlyGuyDEN macrumors member

FlyGuyDEN

I went into the Apple Store I bought the protector from and they didn't offer a refund-instead, I was told to reach out to Belkin. A piece of the glass shield has even pierced my hand...ouch. I told the store representative this and still didn't get an offer of a refund.

25. szw-mapple fan macrumors 65816

szw-mapple fan

I thought the same thing, until my phone started getting many scratches by simply sitting in my jeans pocket. The phone is always in there by itself, so there was no reason to suspect there would be any reason for concern. Perhaps there were some gravel/sand particles on my pockets. After that happened I’ve always have a glass protector on. It seems like a good trade off for the protection it offers.