Apple Retail Ends Genius Training in Cupertino, Moves to In-Store Web Seminars

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

For clarification -- are you comparing replacing a transmission with replacing an iPhone screen? Dissembling a car's console to replace a steering wheel airbag to Disassembling a iMac to replace the hard drive?

Macs and iPhones are no where near as complex as cars. Repairing iPhones and Macs is really not that difficult of a learning curve at all. Yes, it can be done with video training. How do you think all those people in Mall repair kiosks learned? All those middle and high school hobbyists?

This whole thing is much ado about nothing. I'm all for being critical of Apple where it deserves criticism. This is not one of them.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 10, 2017 ---
    But they do -- they make it available after the live show. That is how many people do view it. Personally I would love it if they just released a video instead of a live event so I could skip though the 1 hour and 40 minutes of BS and get to the 20 min. of info that I actually want to see.

2. honglong1976 macrumors 6502a

honglong1976

+ cost saving
    - loss of moral
    - loss of actual technical skills

You can watch videos all day about repairing an iMac but nothing beats actually repairing one yourself.

What a shame!

3. WatchFromAfar macrumors 6502a

WatchFromAfar

I guess it all comes down to this; actually experience as opposed to theoretical knowledge. I can study what keeps an airplane in the air forever but would you want me as your pilot?

4. litmag01 macrumors regular

litmag01

Totally agree, but you also address Apple's side. Apple definitely has a "brain drain" issue. Not to feel bad for Apple, but I totally capitalized on their Cupertino genius training (granted after working the bar for four years) and parlayed that into a much less stressful, higher paying, non-retail position. I do hope this new tact works out for Apple. It will be a tightrope walk between emotionally and academically vesting new genius prospects in their job and saving money.

5. mcclint macrumors newbie

In addition to the obvious problems with web based training, one thing many people don't realize is that there is no dedicated quiet space in any retail store where employees can focus on any kind of training at all. Most employees have to use the Macs in the BOH where it's busy with activity and very noisy and there is usually no physical counter space to write anything down as you take notes. This may be different at flagship stores and I know HQ treats flagships very differently from all the non-flagship stores.

6. Guy Clark macrumors 6502

Can't beat ifixit

Support right to repair

7. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Trust me, building, let alone diagnosing and repairing a computer is beyond most people. You can watch a video on how to replace a HD inside an iMac, it does not mean you will not mess it up.

8. Chupa Chupa, Mar 10, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2017

Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I'm guessing that the people applying to Apple as a Genius to repair devices don't come with no experience in repairing devices - they aren't "most people". Still a computer or phone is no where near as complex as any modern car. For example, it takes nearly a week to build a BMW. An iPhone or Mac takes minutes or hours.

I'm also guessing Apple doesn't hire people to repair that have no experience or other qualifications indicating they have that ability. Home builders don't hire real estate agents to do framing, electrical or plumbing either.

Also guessing individual store managers do not let rookies go it alone anymore than a law firm gives first chair in high profile cases to first year associates.

Bottomline here is my confidence is unchanged here that if I go to an Apple Store for a repair it will be done correctly. The way the person doing the repair learned - I don't care. Apple has certified that they know how to do it to Apple standards.

9. Blackstick macrumors 6502

Blackstick

No positive benefit to this except to Apple's shareholders. I was a Genius from 07-14, being a Genius meant something back then - and the training in Cupertino was intensive, top-notch and invaluable. Even got to eat lunch two tables away from Steve Jobs and Jony - there's no equivalent to feeling as part of a brand as spending a few weeks at HQ.

Everyone loses from this ugly cost-saving measure. There's no comparison for hands-on classroom training, Webex/Skype is not sufficient to learn how to handle a frozen screw, difficult fasteners inside, how to properly handle these delicate machines inside. Apple might learn that the hard way, or they'll just make all Macs like iPads and they'll be depot/swapped anyways.

10. thekeyring macrumors 68040

Thanks for the reply! :) But I wasn't trying to make the point that a big R&D spend = great products. Just a "beancounter" CEO would not increase spending just for the sake of it. There's other low hanging fruit he could use if he wanted to make Apple look innovative.

11. Frost17 macrumors regular

Former Genius here. I had a chance to head out to Cupertino for Genius training. It was an unforgettable experience. shame they are changing this up. I can tell you one thing - in-store trainings do not come close to what on-site training can do. Stores are extremely busy 24/7 and its literally a zoo. Many stores do not have the adequate space to conduct trainings.

All in all, the Genius role is not what it use to be.

12. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Well you do. Cause if they did not apply say the paste between the CPU and heatsink, your computer might throttle all the time, while still functioning. You do understand that there is a difference between a repair and a good repair?

Lets drop the car analogy than....i could not be bothered about explaining the skill set to the appropriate level of maintenance needed. Cause I have never had to return to a dealer cause the service was done wrong by a junior...... :)

13. finnns2000 macrumors regular

Times have changed, not like when I worked Apple retail. My latest Genius appointments have been more than frustrating

14. KPOM macrumors G5

Soldering doesn't affect recycleability. And Steve Jobs was the one who envisioned a computer where the user never touched the insides. Wozniak was the reason the initial Macs were upgradable.

15. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

sounds like they're moving everything to depot anyway or non-replacable components...

16. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

17. rolsskk macrumors 6502

After they screwed up on the repair with my MBP, they admitted to me that they did no in-house repairs, but they actually kicked it out to a local "authorized repair facility" who couldn't fix the issue, so they then shipped it off somewhere else.

18. HJM.NL macrumors 6502a

HJM.NL

There are way more chips nowadays in a BMW than an iPhone :D. But I think we are comparing the mechanical parts of each as chips and screens can't be repaired. The only difference in manufacture is that BMW uses almost only robots, while the iPhone gets mostly build by hand.

19. jerryk macrumors 68030

Darn. I left out a word. That should read "The skill level required to be a "genius" is decreasing year by year.." Sorry.

20. MacUser4_20 macrumors regular

Note my user since date.... I NEVER post from an Apple IP...

21. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I do and more importantly I am certain Apple does. Apple isn't going to piss away it's good will by providing shoddy repairs or miserable customer service.

22. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Well we will not know that until we see if these changes result it any consequences . Penny pinching initiatives and creating a further divide between HQ and retail is not going to get you the best people. And if you do not get the high quality applicants, quality goes down. Do you see where I a, coming from?

23. iMi macrumors 6502a

iMi

I expect the quality of the repairs being done at the store to decline.

24. Deuce on the Clock macrumors regular

Deuce on the Clock

They will get you. They troll these sites. They already know you were in retail. They have a time frame.And they can see if you're in Cupertino or Austin. A screenshot to business conduct will open a huge can of worms.

25. BlandUsername macrumors regular

BlandUsername

ROFL, Timmy's band of politically correct employee hunters, Liberace forbid if he posted something off the silly little narrative coming from Timmy world.