Apple Retail Ends Genius Training in Cupertino, Moves to In-Store Web Seminars

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 9, 2017.

1. ZMacintosh macrumors 6502a

ZMacintosh

It highly depended on market and the shift after 2008-2009.

Pre-2008 there was exceptional quality, but never heavily focused on "tech skills" though, it didn't get that focus until their training came through where solutions were developed and the focus on the abilities of Mac OS X were attributed.

After 2008/09 and the Family Room roles become prominent and there was a definite retail shift in not so much focus on going above and beyond, to gearing more towards consumer product pushes and quick in and out service, so that initial training we received pre-shift era was effective.

Most of the crew I worked with ended up in IT in some of the Top companies, startups, MDM and solution services companies that are partnered with Apple.

But there has been a steady decline in recent years in the quality both from a behind the bar and customer stand point. There are some diamonds in the rough who when you talk with them, they know and help you out.

2. timmarris macrumors newbie

That is really too bad. I was offered a position as a Genius when Apple Stores were a fairly new concept. I ended up turning it down because the pay was not terribly competitive. However, I almost took the job because of the training.

3. Johnny907 macrumors 6502a

Johnny907

Seeing how there is very little for onsite tech agents to repair on the new MBP's, how could anyone be surprised by this move?

4. dysamoria macrumors 6502a

dysamoria

Because computers are all about being exciting to geeks for whom using a computer is the entire purpose of a computer... /s

As a content creator/power user, I dread the next transition between system architectures that requires developers to rewrite their software at a deep level, rather than simply recompiling. The transition to Intel was a pain in the ass and the big developers took as long as possible, making the overall ecosystem hell for years, and losing many interesting and useful pieces of software.

But far be it from me to hold up your excitement at change for [mostly] the sake of change...

5. Applebot1 macrumors 6502

I see where your coming from and not being a power user myself I see it in a different context. However it wouldn't surprise me if the change happened.