Apple Retail Ends Genius Training in Cupertino, Moves to In-Store Web Seminars

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Sorry I think everyone who is "outraged" by this is way overreacting. I'm not a fan of either TC or AA with her "Burberrization" of Apple but I can't honestly say Apple Stores have gone down hill under her guidance. The remodeled stores are top notch in giving customers a good feeling and clearly were not designed on the cheap. There is a difference between penny pinching and trimming the fat.

2. GigabitEthernet macrumors 6502

Just another step in Apple ruining the store experience.

In the U.K. At least, the support I used to receive several years ago was always excellent. Always felt the staff went above and beyond to help.

Now, they're unhelpful and you get ignored a lot of the time. I've had a manager tell me to my face I was lying.

This - I fear - will just make things worse.

3. MRrainer macrumors 6502a

I have to agree - what can you actually repair in a 2016 MB - or even more so a MBP?

4. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    When a company is making a profit of 100 million dollars a day, this definitely counts as penny pinching.

:D

5. JamesPDX Suspended

JamesPDX

What is R&D? It could be re-defined as an "executive encounter cruise" to Tahiti, and I don't mean the chip.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 10, 2017 ---

In Portlandia, I can tell you that there are two main stores here have very different attitudes. One store has staff that is extremely polite and helpful, so I'll go miles out of my way to that store. I won't mention any specifics, but the downtown store has a disproportionate number of noodle-armed millennial hipsters that more often than not substitute Project Runway-like snippiness for customer service skills and technical knowledge of what they are selling. I really don't enjoy being the guy on the floor with more Mac/tech knowledge than 99% of the people working there.

Maybe I went there on a "bad day" when someone ran out of beard oil, etc.

The pre-purchase advice on MacRumors is generally better than what you will experience walking into one of the Apple showrooms.

6. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

Clearly you didn't understand my point. Go back and re-read it before you comment further.

7. jordanleven macrumors newbie

Apple isn't green. They used to ship us three-inch parts in a two foot box.

8. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

they already got all of that before they ever became a genius. because Apple rarely to never hires someone straight to that position anymore. You were either a geek squad, or you hired in as a sales person and worked your way up.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 10, 2017 ---
    which is exactly what happens every time a new model comes out. they don't ship all the geniuses back up to Cupe to train them. They send out PDFs and videos and those old hands have to figure it out on their own.

9. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Outraged ? Your words mate.

There is also a differnce between presenting that nothing has changed and penny pinching behind the scenes...look at the staff, and how happy they are.

I disagree, under AA getting products has been a mess. From being pushed to online to buy products to pre-ordering being the slowest way to get a product. Last time I was there there, very few people buying new products , everyone was there for service and the staff looked shattered. I disagree with your assessment. They looked overworked and customers like myself had to wait 30-40 minutes, even the managers looked stressed.

I thanked the guy who helped me out, I could tell he was worn out, and said no worries about the 30min wait

10. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

If I didn't understand it as you wrote it then you need to re-state it. My comment is based on as I read your comment.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 11, 2017 ---
    Very true, but those pennies do add up. Plenty of bankrupt former multimillionaires and companies claim witness to that fact. Responsible corporate governance is such that if the expense can't be justified it should go. Period.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 11, 2017 ---
    Yes, absolutely 100%. My words to describe all the hand wringing over nothing going on here about this subject. Look, if in-store Apple customer service and repair quality makes a noticeable decline in the next year please come back and give me a well deserved "told ya so." I'll gladly eat crow. But I don't think that has any chance of happening. This will be a forgotten thread and people will be moaning that Apple doesn't put stickers in boxes anymore or something else frivolous.

11. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

Here is somethign to repair.
    Inverter for the screen. Is apple prepared to fully replace a less than 1 yr faulty notebook with failed inverter for the screen with a brand new one? Less profits to gain off a new unit if that is used to replace one unit.

12. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

You are assuming that a faulty notebook under warranty repair would be replaced with a brand new unit. In addition, the total cost/benefit of a straight up replacement factors many other things (like time/salary of the technician to make the repair vs. swapping the unit out).

The repair index for the Macbook Pro w/Touch Bar is a 1 out of 10. They are designed to be replaced, not repaired. That is not to say that damaged units are scrapped but that they will be dismantled by lower paid workers that will reclaim the components.

13. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

I guess Apple doesn't know how most people learn....

70% learn more hands on
    20% learn more from others
    10% learn more from training

14. Cole Slaw macrumors 6502a

Cole Slaw

Well I guess this is to save a bit of money.
    When you're a struggling company like Apple every cent counts, though.
    I'm hoping they get rid of the customer service department next.
    Dumping CS will enable Tim to scrounge together a few more pennies.
    Poor guy, just trying to make ends meet. :(

15. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

At least you "flew" a simulator. If you want to make this a 1:1 comparison, you pilots would have only watched a video of someone else flying the simulator and your first actual experience would be the revenue flight with passengers...

16. amegicfox macrumors 6502

amegicfox

yes but Steve kept Mac updated with the latest and greatest hardware and software.

Cook keeps a core neutered Mac Mini that is 4 years old and has soldered RAM

17. JamesPDX Suspended

JamesPDX

@hortod1 Did you do a barrel-roll with the 787 or an A380 on final approach? :)

18. MagnusVonMagnum macrumors 601

MagnusVonMagnum

I'm shocked to hear they even bothered with any kind of training. I took an iPod Touch in for a new battery a couple of years ago and their policy was to ONLY exchange it for one with a working battery (make sure yours is backed up) They said they would have to send the device away for (weeks) and that was the only option since they had none of the 4th Gen still in stock, only 5th Gen and they sure as hell weren't giving me one of those instead! I'm like, why can't you just change the battery yourselves? "Oh we don't change the batteries here for god's sake! What did you think we were? Geniuses? Hahahahahahahahahahahh"

They won't sell you a battery to do it yourself either. Driving over an hour to the nearest Apple store was a total waste of my time and gas. They shouldn't be called "geniuses". They should be called FECKING IDIOTS.

19. KPOM macrumors G5

But processor speeds haven't changed all that much. Intel has been focused on power consumption. Not really an issue for a desktop.

20. fruitstand survivor macrumors newbie

Having worked as a Genius in a store I can tell you the webinar approach was a huge disaster. Time after time we were assigned to watch videos but given no work station apart from the computers in the cramped lunchroom. You'd have to remember to bring earbuds to have a chance to hear audio over conversations. We always had a backlog of required training to go through anyway as stores failed to schedule required study time. And how does a webinar help with hands on unit repairs (larger strategy to take that away, too). All of this was predictable from our view in the bleachers and one of the reasons there is an enormous attrition rate among technicians in Apple Retail. A once-proud unit decimated by small minds

21. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

If you've ever been to an Apple Retail hiring event or worked there recently, that is incorrect. They hire for soft skills vs hard skills...some can be trained on either or, however most get hired recently are not technicians or skilled by trade. And overseeing some of them in a back of house environment struggle quite a bit, hence why they ship most mobile devices (MacBooks, etc) to depot and desktops done in house.

Apple never cared about hiring techies, geeks, or good hardware repairers. so unfortunately that assessment is incorrect.

22. deckard666 macrumors 6502

deckard666

Yeah I am sure Apple are happy to throw away their hard earnt top marks customer service records. What other companies transport staff such distance for training these days ?

23. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

They post the keynote after the fact.
    Videos would be a great follow up/refresher to build on after the initial training.

Do you honestly think the impact of having the CEO and Phil would have the same media attention or impact to investors, tech outlets and apple fans if it was posted as a video?

24. CraigB1960 macrumors newbie

I agree with your assessment. Simply not much expertise there...considering they took my laptop, sent it off for 5 day turn-around just to change the battery. I could of and should of done it myself as I did when I upgraded my WiFi board to support my Apple Watch a couple of weeks later.

25. indcwby macrumors newbie

As a former Mac Genius/Lead, I can say that your assessment is incorrect. There was a time when they did care. I don't know about other locations, but the region I worked in prided in the fact that we had the best Genius teams because they could do any repair back of house (BOH) irregardless what was presented. Our managers specifically looked for people who had "The Knack" (Dilbert Reference). We also looked at internal candidates to promote who could do the job because they had the special skill set.

The Genius Team was one of impressive knowledge who could always think outside of the box where training materials could not provide an answer. The trainer I had in Cupertino helped morph minds into having such thought processes. That talent and knowledge is what helps the Apple Brand. Those who stood behind the bar were worthy of the title of Mac Genius.

Now, you don't see such quality expertise anymore. This comment isn't meant to insult the current Genius team, but seriously, there are some individuals out there that would never have been a Genius back in the day.

I witnessed a customer coming in for the 3rd time to the bar (per the customers statement) because the OS would dim her screen in the evening (Night Shift). The Genius team members who had assisted her had confirmed and wiped out her drive twice. They were about to check it in to do a Depot Repair, but while I was waiting for my turn, I asked to look at it and saw that Night Shift was turned off, but the user also had Flux installed. Flux needed to be removed and it would be fine. User kept restoring from Time Machine.
    Your average customer wouldn't have known that. But that's where 'outside of the box' thinking comes in. I don't know if Apple's KBase/GSX/Whatever they call it now has that.
    When your move away from molding minds and expect videos to do the training instead, the result isn't good. I fear that someday, Apple may become just another brand......