Apple Retail Stores Around the World Now Featuring Red Logos for World AIDS Day

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 30, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

In honor of World AIDS Day, which takes place on December 1, Apple has started turning the Apple Store logos at many of its retail locations around the world red.

Apple CEO Tim Cook shared some photos of the red logos on Twitter this afternoon.

[​IMG]

Apple marketing chief Greg Joswiak earlier this week said that Apple plans to turn the logos at 125 stores red, with another 400 stores set to feature red decals over their Apple logos. The red coloring is meant to raise awareness for the global fight against AIDS.

Apple plans to promote World AIDS Day in its retail locations over the course of the next week. From Saturday, December 1 to Friday, December 7, $1 of every Apple Pay purchase made at an Apple Store, through the Apple Store app, or on the Apple website will be donated to (RED), the charity Apple has worked with for years.

[​IMG]

(RED) focuses on putting an end to AIDS in Africa through money given to The Global Fund. Yesterday, Apple said it has raised $200 million for (RED) through the exclusive (PRODUCT)RED merchandise that it sells.

When Apple customers purchase a (PRODUCT)RED device or accessory, a portion of the proceeds is donated to (RED).

Article Link: Apple Retail Stores Around the World Now Featuring Red Logos for World AIDS Day

2. AngerDanger, Nov 30, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2018

AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

So, hypothetically, if AIDS Day and Earth Day were to fall on the same day…

earthday.jpg

3. Sasparilla macrumors 65816

Awesome for Apple to do this and be such a big funder for Red via their customers choices.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I think this Product Red thing is great and all, but I want to know how much they are putting into this "Red" change to all their stores? We know Apple only donates like a 3% or something right? So let's say they spend $10,000 per store to do this change, wouldn't it be better if they donated all this money to the fund?

5. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

Couldn’t they just donate a hundred million? That would be nothing for them

6. julesme macrumors regular

The Red store design is a marketing investment. It helps promote the Red program, and it's part of Apple's investment in its overall brand.

7. Bornee35 macrumors 6502

Bornee35

IF (int AIDS > 0) THEN LED = System.Drawing.ColorTranslator.FromHtml(FF0000)

8. AtomicDusk macrumors member

AtomicDusk

I've bought my fair share of (Red) products from  for this reason. Good for them and their support.

9. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

The amount of exposure RED gets from this promotion is probably worth much than the actual cost of turning each Apple Store red for a day.

Kudos to

10. rrm74001 macrumors 6502

rrm74001

Not good enough for you, eh?

11. tl01 macrumors 68020

Can we start supporting childhood cancer research sometime? That would be awesome to. I think that ribbon color is gold.

12. fairuz macrumors 68000

fairuz

Wait, why are you declaring an uninitialized variable then immediately comparing it?

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

My cynical concern is that the bigger exposure is for Apple rather than Product Red. On this forum yes it seems we are more passionate, but in the general public they will notice Apple more than the Red program.

14. JosephAW macrumors 68000

JosephAW

Too bad Apple didn't write code in Majave to make my mid 2012 MBP non retina Apple logo light up red. Guess I'll have to use some red cellophane.
    Let's see you do that on a 2018 model. I guess a red sticker would suffice.

15. Ankou_Sabat macrumors regular

Ankou_Sabat

The Red iPhone 8 had to be the shortest lived red version like ever. I was going to pull the trigger on it and it was like a couple of months or so before the expected announcement of the, what would become, iPhone XS, XS Max, and XR. So I figured I'd wait to see what was being announced first. That very day the red iPhone 8 was gone even though you can still buy the iPhone 8 in every other color. What the heck :/

16. Chloros macrumors regular

Chloros

Great Marketing for Apple....look good while profiting off peoples hearts. Why give a straight donation when you can profit from it.

17. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

Valid point. Ultimately, though, it's a positive for both Apple and Product RED.

18. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

And what was their profit from those sales?

Exactly

19. Mike MA macrumors 68000

Mike MA

They could, probably they do. But asides the money it’s about making other people aware like you and me.

20. ipponrg macrumors 65816

There are always ulterior motives to these press releases. Kudos though to them for this although I rather see them strive for cancer awareness over AIDS.

21. DJTaurus macrumors 65816

DJTaurus

Do i see rainbow flags in those 2 front trees of the Apple store ?

Just report him. Why to waste our reading time by informing us too ??

22. chasemac macrumors 6502a

chasemac

23. BehemothManiac macrumors newbie

Apple Store’s Logo at Toronto's Eaton Centre was red on Friday. Thought it’s for Christmas ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

24. partsofspeech macrumors regular

partsofspeech

Nerd’s rhetoric device.

25. Rojaaemon, Dec 1, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2018

Rojaaemon macrumors regular

And nothing says "AIDS" like the image of RED apples. If not for this annual trivial gesture by Tim and his Team, I would completely forget about the global AIDS crisis.