Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

R.P.G

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2016
Somewhere
It is amazing how much negativities come out from this. I mean really, for those who are skeptical, have you done something good, if ever, lately? You can call it marketing or whatever, but at least there’s an effort. For those asking why Apple not doing it for a different disease, well, if you think that particular disease is more important, then you can start something to raise awareness as well instead of sulking at Apple.
looks like you are that kind of guy who blames everyone for not holding placard and dance in streets.

Be responsible towards your family and pay taxes and do contribute to country and behave like a responsible citizen. This is more than enough than doing protest/awareness things. everybody is aware of their choices, i am afraid, 'lack of awareness on these kind of burning topics' is a myth. this is 2018 not 90's.

Cancer needs attention..nothing else. what these corporates (like apple) doing in this area is drop in a ocean comparing on this aids thingy.

Last edited:

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Can't say I've ever come across RED anywhere (in the UK), except as an Apple promotion.
The Product RED website lists about three dozen brands through which the organization offers products, and the Wikipedia lists even more. Many seem to be in the fashion and lifestyle categories, but there are some heavy hitters. In addition to Apple, RED has (or has had) partnerships with Coca-Cola, Starbucks, Canon, American Express, and Nike. Those are just a few of the ubiquitous brands I noticed on the two lists.

Having said all that, like you, Apple is the only one where I've seen RED products available time and again.

ipponrg

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
We are all aware of cancer. I’m not the only one here to lose someone to it, nor are you. Cancer already has a really big mindshare.

And AIDS, unlike cancer, can be fully and permanently eradicated in our lifetime. That would bring an end to a problem that is holding back economic growth globally, and costing support, donations and subsidies that would be nice to free up for other programs. To actually definitively solve a problem in medicine is an accomplishment worth pursuing in its own right, but the gains from solving this one are immense and likely to contribute a lot to dealing with cancer sooner than we would otherwise be able to.

Cancer is complicated. It comes down to the myriad corners nature has cut each and every day that multicellular life has been around, and there’s no one cancer or one cure. Cancer a catch-all term for when your body is doing almost exactly what it’s supposed to be doing, but not quite, and we’ve only the most basic of ideas about how life works as a starting hand for this game.

AIDS is simple. It’s an infectious disease and we know how to deal with that: we contain it, stop it from spreading, until nobody living has it anymore. Then it’s gone. If we’re lucky, we may find ways to speed up the process, and we have found good ways to stop the spread (with more likely to be found). But we already have everything we need to get rid of it, for good.

We just need to put in the effort, which readily translates into spending money, at this point.

Donating company money to treating HIV and AIDS is thus an investment, with a payoff, while donating money to treating cancer is an ongoing expense. Charity should be about investment and cost reduction, aimed at sustainable improvement, not throwing money at people to feel better.

Charity should be what you want it to be. It’s clear you value getting rid of AIDS over cancer (research/awareness)

More power to you for wanting to fix people’s poor or accidental life choices over researching natural causes

Reactions: AlexGraphicD

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
looks like you are that kind of guy who blames everyone for not holding placard and dance in streets.

Be responsible towards your family and pay taxes and do contribute to country and behave like a responsible citizen. This is more than enough than doing protest/awareness things. everybody is aware of their choices, i am afraid, 'lack of awareness on these kind of burning topics' is a myth. this is 2018 not 90's.

Cancer needs attention..nothing else. what these corporates (like apple) doing in this area is drop in a ocean comparing on this aids thingy.
Yes, so why are people criticising those who think they can do more?

Omega Mac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2013
Celebrate AIDS!
[doublepost=1543842852][/doublepost]Man that water feature, pissing away money...

manneken_pis_boy_peeing_urinating_outdoor_garden_water_fountain_pond1.jpg

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
I have a bunch of friends living with HIV. Anything to build awareness is great. Also if everyone in US donated $5 that would be well over a billion dollars. Just because they use it to 'make a profit' isn't necessarily bad, they could choose to do nothing.

The amount they've donated is less than the amount of tax they've dodged, so they're still in the negative for social responsibility.
[doublepost=1543846192][/doublepost]
Be honest: How many people do you think even HEARD of Product(RED) before Apple? They didn't create the project, ya know.

Why does EVERYTHING Apple does HAVE to be scrutinized to the nth degree for avarice?

Does Microsoft have a Product(RED) program?

Does Dell have a Product(RED) program?

Does HP have a Product(RED) program?

Does Acer have a Product(RED) program?

Does Samsung have a Product(RED) program?

et CETERA.

Those corporations listed above aren't even listed as "Supporters" of Product(RED).

https://www.red.org/partners/

https://www.red.org/products/

Do those other companies pay their taxes though?

Reactions: AlexGraphicD

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Obviously I understand that, But I fail to see what is the point to additional small donations from individuals like me, when wealthy companies offer already millions of money?
[doublepost=1543698456][/doublepost]

No we cannot be happy because only a tiny portion of this multi million donation actually goes to the cause. Apple does something good for its image foremost.

Source? I'd love to see an exact percentage. Apple has raised around $200 million for Red. Stop being so cynical.

Cavepainter

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
Los Angeles
We are all aware of cancer. I’m not the only one here to lose someone to it, nor are you. Cancer already has a really big mindshare.

And AIDS, unlike cancer, can be fully and permanently eradicated in our lifetime. That would bring an end to a problem that is holding back economic growth globally, and costing support, donations and subsidies that would be nice to free up for other programs. To actually definitively solve a problem in medicine is an accomplishment worth pursuing in its own right, but the gains from solving this one are immense and likely to contribute a lot to dealing with cancer sooner than we would otherwise be able to.

Cancer is complicated. It comes down to the myriad corners nature has cut each and every day that multicellular life has been around, and there’s no one cancer or one cure. Cancer a catch-all term for when your body is doing almost exactly what it’s supposed to be doing, but not quite, and we’ve only the most basic of ideas about how life works as a starting hand for this game.

AIDS is simple. It’s an infectious disease and we know how to deal with that: we contain it, stop it from spreading, until nobody living has it anymore. Then it’s gone. If we’re lucky, we may find ways to speed up the process, and we have found good ways to stop the spread (with more likely to be found). But we already have everything we need to get rid of it, for good.

We just need to put in the effort, which readily translates into spending money, at this point.

Donating company money to treating HIV and AIDS is thus an investment, with a payoff, while donating money to treating cancer is an ongoing expense. Charity should be about investment and cost reduction, aimed at sustainable improvement, not throwing money at people to feel better.

Wow that last paragraph is remarkably cold. If I would read this to my good friend, a brilliant teacher and father of two young boys who has recently been diagnosed with bladder cancer and has seen his life turn completely upside down in the last couple months, it would probably make him cry.

Donating money to treating cancer not only helps fund the race to find a cure for the greatest disease threat facing humanity, it also helps with early screening and earlier diagnosis, which as we all know directly and significantly increases the chances of survival.

In a hospital triage situation, limited resources are targeted to those that need the help the most. While it would be great to completely eradicate any disease, perhaps now that we are making significant progress on a terrible killer like AIDS, and like you said, we already have everything we need to get rid of it for good, maybe we should turn our attention and limited resources to diseases that are even worse. Cancer and heart disease kill far more people, and while thankfully the number of people who are dying from AIDS is actually on the decline, the number of diagnoses of cancer is actually rising, and are expected to continue to rise for decades. (source: World Health Organization).

Reactions: RuralJuror

TruePS4WiiUFan

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2013
Question related to RED products... will they be available after December 7th? Or this is a limited time promotions only? - As indicated by the dates?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.