Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

lioninstall-150x150.jpg

Apple appears to be setting up the final pieces for OS X Lion's launch this week. A previous report even pinpointed the release as early as Wednesday morning.

We've now been able to confirm that Apple Retail stores have begun receiving final copies of OS X Lion today. The installations have come on hard drive and are meant for the Apple Retail demo computers in the store floor. This, of course, doesn't guarantee a specific launch date, but brings Apple one step closer to launch.

Apple has said that OS X Lion will be launching in July but has not publicly committed to a launch date. Apple seeded the Golden Master version of OS X Lion to developers on July 1st. The Golden Master version is typically the final shipping version of the operating system. Apple is also widely expected to refresh the MacBook Air and Mac Mini computers around the same time as Lion's launch.

Article Link: Apple Retail Stores Receive Golden Master Copies of OS X Lion

Last edited by a moderator:

Elven

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
UK
The suspense, and build up will soon be transformed into rage and bug threads. :rolleyes:

Comment

Craiger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2007
I sure would like to know the build number. I'm still wishing for a couple changes.. oh well.

Comment

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
So soon we will be able to replace all the "where is Lion" threads with "Lion bugs" threads!

Yeah, I am awaiting the general comments of "Lion is the worst OS ever! Why did Apple remove the ____ feature? <Insert additional snarky comment about being able to write better software despite not being an engineer.> Lion is clear proof Apple only cares about the iPhones. These hipster kids and their iOS devices. When I was a nerd back in the 80's, Apple was a rebel company who cared about their users. Now they sold out and are like Microsoft."

Comment

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Apple admits the Icloud is a failure

The installations have come on hard drive...

Isn't this tantamount to admitting that the Icloud and the Apple Application Store is a failure?

Why would Apple insist that customers download 10.7 from the network, but send physical copies to their own stores?

The mind boggles at the duplicity.

Comment

carterx

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2006
Ive had the GM since it's release but incase it's not up dateable or the 'real GM" I've been waiting for a retail copy. So far GM has just been for testing.

:cool:

Comment

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
I guess this means we just might see it within a week.. Good to know..

Comment

centauratlas

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
And "Snappier Safari". ;-)

I'm curious about the Wednesday vs (much more often) Tuesday launch. I know in the past it has sometimes been other days than Tuesday, but it is always interesting to see what Apple does.

So soon we will be able to replace all the "where is Lion" threads with "Lion bugs" threads!

Comment

dissemin8or

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2010
Why

If Lion is being distributed solely through the app store, why distribute it to retail stores, is it just for the demo and genius computers?

Comment

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
The installations have come on hard drive and are meant for the Apple Retail demo computers in the store floor.

iHypocrisy. Physical media's still the best solution for some people is it Apple? :rolleyes:

Edit: Negative voted post within a couple of minutes, not surprised. How about quoting and debating the issue instead people?

Comment

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
Good thing for myself.... I have a PB so I can't install Lion and get all the bugs. :)

Bad thing is... I wanted to get a MBP before Lion was released. :|

Good luck downloading when it's released too, I hope Apple beefed up their servers and bandwidth for this release.

Comment

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
Any chance Apple can send us a digital T-Shirt with the download. Still got my Leopard shirt somewhere (doesn't fit though cos I've got fatter)

Comment

whoami

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2002
Ive had the GM since it's release but incase it's not up dateable or the 'real GM" I've been waiting for a retail copy. So far GM has just been for testing.

:cool:

arf??
I wouldn't sweat that.. If anything they'll release a point revision quickly..

Comment

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
Isn't this tantamount to admitting that the Icloud and the Apple Application Store is a failure?

Why would Apple insist that customers download 10.7 from the network, but send physical copies to their own stores?

The mind boggles at the duplicity.

They have hard drive images for different Macs and reimage the computers every night.

I do agree that it is odd.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.