Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

144857-reserve_and_pick_up.png

Apple has rolled out a new Reserve and Pick Up purchasing program for its retail stores, allowing customers to select and reserve products for later in-store purchase and pick up ahead of the holidays.
With Reserve and Pick Up, you can make sure the top things on your list are definitely under the tree. Reserve an iPod or Mac online today and it will be waiting for you to pick up and purchase at an Apple Retail Store from December 15 to 24. You can even have many products wrapped. It's just another way we make it even easier to get through the holiday crowds -- and your gift list.
The program looks to streamline the purchasing process for those who reserve hardware ahead of time and ensures that customers won't face out-of-stock issues encountered when attempting to purchase on the spot. The program also offers gift wrapping in the company's "signature gift box" for an additional $5.00 charge for iPods and notebook computers. The program is currently featured prominently on the company's retail store sites in the US, UK, and Australia, and also appears to be available in Canada.

Article Link: Apple Retail Stores Roll Out 'Reserve and Pick Up' Purchasing for Holiday Season

JRomero

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2006
I just might take advantage of this! There is a shiny new iMac with my name on it.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
better utilization of the staff

i was in one of the NYC stores a few years back during the holidays. it was a madhouse and there is no way to hire enough people

tcoleman

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2007
Great White North
Wow, welcome to the new millennium, Apple. It's nice to see you've finally added this option which has been available at other retailers for years. :)

kymac

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2006
portland
'a way to avoid the crowds'? going to an apple store from dec15 -24 will not help with avoiding a crowd :confused:

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
Still Have To Try To Get Staff's Attention

Every time I go into an Apple store I always know exactly what I want and just want to check out. But the genius bar is for answers/repairs which means you have to somehow get the attention of one of the wandering young hip staffers. I ALWAYS have trouble getting their attention and wonder why they don't just assign tickets when you walk in. As it is, it is rather awkward and sometimes just plain frusturating.

If I were a 20 year old drop dead gorgeous female we wouldn't be having this conversation ;)

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
Wait...why not just order it now? Is there an advantage to having to pick it up later? (unless you don't have to pay now)

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Apple will clean up big time this holiday season. If they can pull off the kind of numbers they did, in a recession, during a non-holiday quarter, I can only imagine what they'll pull off next quarter.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Wonder how long it will be before they have drive-through windows?

Been tried, the automatic door failed to open when the SUVs drove through. But the customers were still able to pick up the merchandise they were after. ;)

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
it seems like apple is thinking there is a segment of the population that refuse to buy computers online. There is no other reason to go out of your way and offer a service where you go online...reserve the product...then go to the store...and pay for it..

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
Obviously this would not work for their refurbished online store offerings. Dang it.

Last time I used the Genius bar @the Alderwood Mall Sore they had computers set up for you to register and you got an appointment time.

Anyway, to those who will use the "Reserve and Pick Up" offering all the best of luck to you.

kymac

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2006
portland
question: to add an even more unnecessary step, can you go directly to an apple store, use one of their computers to reserve online, and then return to pick up in the store?

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
i guess for some this would be good, i'd just order online. save time and gas.
but cheers to those who'd use the service.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
question: to add an even more unnecessary step, can you go directly to an apple store, use one of their computers to reserve online, and then return to pick up in the store?

That's a good one.
Or go in and then get a coffee and come back...what? my order isn't ready?

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Given iPods and Macs can be easily had online and even locally in most cities at a discounted price, I'm not sure why Apple doesn't offer FREE gift wrapping for these items as an incentive to buy direct from Apple rather than charge $5.

They offer engraving free if you buy online, so kind of a no-brainer to offer free wrapping on iPods and portable Macs in-store. The cost to Apple is negligible and yet the $5 charge seems kind of nickle and dimish, especially considering any profits won't even be noticeable on the P&L ledger.

The Samurai

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2007
Glasgow
I remember going into my local store last year - it was like there was a gig on, it was mobbed lol.

I think this would work out great and especially where there are limited stores.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
it seems like apple is thinking there is a segment of the population that refuse to buy computers online. There is no other reason to go out of your way and offer a service where you go online...reserve the product...then go to the store...and pay for it..

There are plenty of people who won't buy a computer or other big ticket item online. They either want instant gratification or want to make sure they are getting it in one piece (not saying shipping isn't safe, just that some worry it isn't). They also don't want to wrestle traffic driving to the mall to be told "out of stock."

baruch

macrumors member
May 12, 2009
These new initiatives are lovely. It'd be even lovelier if they'd get 10.6.2 out, because 10.6.1 really sucks.

PeckhamBog

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2007
London
Been tried, the automatic door failed to open when the SUVs drove through. But the customers were still able to pick up the merchandise they were after. ;)

I always thought buying RAM from Apple was a rip-off. Now I think I can see what you were getting at. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.