Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I guess people here don't watch weekend sports here in the USA where every other commercial is from IBM.

RobQuads

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2010
They spend more money on lawyers and PR! Have not seen anything coming from them in years.

But you use them every day - just virtually every credit card purchase or financial trade uses them. Cash widthdrawls ..... they are in more places than you think.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
This is a world brand survey, not a US one, and most people here have probably never even heard of General Electric.

Most people IN Business world wide HAVE heard of GE. Seriously!! It is rated the fifth largest company in the world by Forbes and they are one of the oldest large company in existence. They've had 100+ year of marketing behind their name :).

They didn't call it a consumer brand survey, did it. It is the value of the brand.

GE is a very large conglomerate

These are its main divisions

GE Capital Finance (provides commercial lending and leasing, as well as a range of financial services for health care, media, communications, entertainment, consumers, real estate, and aviation) Present in 55 countries. 44B in revenue, 8B in profit.

GE Home & Business Solutions (Consumer goods)
- GE Appliances Just got sold to Electrolux for 3.3B (but still pending)
- GE Lighting 3B in revenue (being transfered to another division after GE appliance sales)

GE Technology Infrastructure
- GE Healthcare (medical technologies and services helping to deliver patient care to people around the world, include MRI machines) 19B revenue
- GE Aviation (One of the top aircraft engine supplier) 18B revenue
- GE Transportation (equipment for the railroad, marine, mining, drilling and energy generation industries) 6B, mostly in north america

GE Energy, operate world wide, 37B in revenue
- GE Energy Management
- GE Oil & Gas
- GE Power & Water.

So, it seems GE will soon be mostly out of the consumer sector, except for a small part of their lighting revenues.

Last edited:
Reactions: groadyho

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
That unknown brand probably designs their own stuff, so yeah - in that respect, they should be above Korean copycats Samsung.

Haha :) I only was surprised because the perception of Samsung is quite strong. A ton of my friends have got Samsung phones, and it seems to be a key player in the Android space.

Just thought I'd Google 'How has Samsung' to see if the suggested search backs up my point that perception of the company is strong and got this:
http://bit.ly/1ne3fTi

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Pretty neat list, and i can see each one being there, except for IBM... I don't think the average person in American even knows what they do anymore.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
Pretty neat list, and i can see each one being there, except for IBM... I don't think the average person in American even knows what they do anymore.

Brands are not just for consumers. Many of us work in large to medium size companies were IBM is very present. Seeing how much publicity they do lately, I'm pretty sure people have heard of them :).

SgtPepper12

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2011
Germany
Argh IBM's logo really needs a refresh.

It's based on the technical limitations of hardware, photocopiers to be exact - not exactly something a hardware company should have in their logo IMO.

That aside, it's damn ugly too!
It's a Paul Rand logo and thus has some additional iconic and classical value. I actually don't like it either, but that might the reason why they hesitate to refresh it.

sixstrings03

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2012
Point has been made here already, But the brands here are not just ranked by consumer recognition. GE in particular is best known for their alumni of leaders who have gone on to be CEOs of Fortune 100 companies, talent development, Jack Welch, popularizing Six Sigma, etc.

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
I was surprised to see Samsung in the top 10, what with their recent problems in the mobile space, until I remembered that they sell TVs, dishwashers, and missile guidance systems as well.

They’re probably still doing quite well in at least two of those areas.

richardw

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2011
If you ever fly, you'll have some GE parts in that airplane.

Heard of GE, recognise that logo but didn't know it belonged to GE. Don't doubt that their parts are used in aeroplanes amongst plenty of other things over here (UK).

chrisbru

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Austin, TX
IBM above microsoft?!? I can only imagine IBM have any brand value in the corporate section, consumers dont care about that name anymore, I would think.
And number 6 in that list I dont even know what is...? :D

You don't know what GE (General Electric) is? Seriously?

spectrumfox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
That unknown brand probably designs their own stuff, so yeah - in that respect, they should be above Korean copycats Samsung.

You are aware that GE is a MAJOR brand and that Samsung makes more than just smartphones... right?

----------

You don't know what GE (General Electric) is? Seriously?

GE hasn't made a smartphone that competes with Apple, so I'm not surprised that people here don't know who they are...

Last edited:

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
LOL - I love some of the responses here as if the list is some personal "win" or that their valuation of any brand is more legitimate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.