Apple Retires (PRODUCT)RED iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus Models

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 12, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

With the introduction of the iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X, Apple has quietly discontinued its (PRODUCT)RED iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus models. Apple's (PRODUCT)RED iPhone 7 and 7 Plus were first introduced in March of 2017, six months after the debut of the iPhone 7.

The two devices were released in celebration of more than 10 years of partnership between Apple and (RED), with proceeds provided to the Global Fund to prevent the spread of HIV/AIDS in Africa.

[​IMG]

Though the (PRODUCT)RED iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus have been discontinued, Apple is still selling the devices in Silver, Gold, Rose Gold, Matte Black, and Jet Black. Pricing on the iPhone 7 now starts at $549 for the 32GB model, while pricing starts at $669 for the 32GB iPhone 7 Plus.

Apple is offering the two devices in 32 and 128GB configurations, with the 256GB models having been discontinued alongside all (PRODUCT)RED devices.

While Apple is no longer offering a (PRODUCT)RED iPhone, the company continues to sell many (PRODUCT)RED accessories, including several that were introduced today. There are new 38mm and 42mm Ruby (PRODUCT)RED Apple Watch Classic Buckle bands for $149, and Apple has also introduced a new (PRODUCT)RED Leather Sleeve for the iPad Pro priced at $129, and a new (PRODUCT)RED Apple Pencil Case priced at $29.

[​IMG]

A portion of the sales from Apple's entire (PRODUCT)RED accessory lineup is donated to the Global Fund, a charity that funds AIDS-related programs in Africa.

Article Link: Apple Retires (PRODUCT)RED iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus Models

2. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Well, that was fast retiring the Product Red iPhone. That's unfortunate, I liked that color.

3. ThisBougieLife macrumors 65816

ThisBougieLife

I thought the color was pretty cool, but I guess I'm getting "blush gold" for the iPhone 8. If between that and red, I'd rather have the red.

4. Rob_2811 macrumors 65816

5. AngerDanger, Sep 12, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2017

AngerDanger macrumors 68030

AngerDanger

Months ago…

Ive: "What are we going to do with all this left over red aluminium after we retire the red iPhone 7?"

Tim: (glances at digital crown of Apple Watch) "I think I've got an idea."

jooom.gif

6. mabhatter macrumors 6502a

The "Red" on these isn't very good. After seeing them in person the anodize is really weak and thin and not very vibrant. The Product [RED] case is a better Red in my opinion.

If they had an iPhone 8 with solid Red glass it would be cool. But clearly they're not using a process where the glass is solid colored or they would have a Black iPhone and not Space Grey.

7. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

It's okay, Tim. The design wasn't all that great.

8. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

RIP Jet Black. You were too precious for this world.

9. jahall05 macrumors regular

I have had a Product (Red) iPhone 7 Plus for a couple of months now and it looks great. The anodization is holding up fine.

10. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

Have to disagree, these are very vibrant in person. The colour is excellent in person.

11. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

I like the red but it looks horrible with the white front. It looks more like a Christmas version of the iPhone.

Would've been a much nicer looking phone with the black front.

12. kwikdeth macrumors 6502a

It'll be back. To my knowledge the "Red" editions have almost always come after the initial product releases.

13. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

??

The product red phones are amazing in person, no issues with the coating.

The 8 reminds of the iPhone 4 with the glass and black, so its not that can't make a black...thats just their color scheme; Space Grey
    --- Post Merged, Sep 12, 2017 ---
    precious, or fragile ;) its a really awesome looking phone. I like mine and can't believe its almost been a year with it and its held up well case and no case.

14. dampfnudel macrumors 68030

Tim is probably already holding the Product Red X in his hand.

15. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

Damn. They got rid of the two options I wanted on the 7: red and 256 GBs. And since they aren't likely going to have a red offering for the 8 when I pull the trigger on upgrading from my 5s soon, I will have to settle for boring Space Gray again. Such is life, I guess.

16. Appleaker macrumors 68000

Strange but maybe we’ll see a reintroduction in mid cycle with the 8. But the simplification of the color options could make that unlikely. I think it would look good but I like the direction of simplifying the lineup.

17. macTW Suspended

You don't own one. You have no grounds on which to speak about the quality of the make or durability nor the color in everyday use.

I have one and it is vibrant, durable and clean. And I use it caseless. Only three small specks of chips, from using a case and sand getting caught underneath.

18. JPack macrumors 6502a

JPack

RED editions were always intended to drive demand.

When the RED iPhone 7 was released, sales were flat because of iPhone 8 rumors.

Now that the 8 is out, there's no need to complicate the supply by keeping the RED.

19. mi7chy macrumors 68040

mi7chy

Is this country specific or world wide? Red is actually nationalistic in some countries.

20. macduke Suspended

macduke

It was introduced as a means to spur sales. They might do it again, but I’ll probably never get to own one since I buy at launch.

21. B4U macrumors 65816

B4U

22. JPack macrumors 6502a

JPack

Flying the flag is probably more nationalistic. Red is used in too many flags of the world. It could be Vietnam, Turkey, Canada or the Soviet Union.

23. mward333 macrumors 6502a

mward333

I'm glad that I bought the (PRODUCT)RED iPhone 7 Plus when it was released (on the release day, no less).

24. now i see it macrumors 65816

The 7 was the fastest EOL iPhone in history. One year & it's gone. Usually the prior years's model sticks around for another year at $100 discount.

25. macbookguy macrumors regular

macbookguy

I love my (PRODUCT) RED iPhone 7+. No problems with casing. Sad it isn't coming back for 8 at least...