Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

retroneo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
On two month old Nokia (that I use for tethering) it is impossible to MMS to an email address in any form because the 'To' only accepts numbers

Every MMS Nokia since 2001 can do this, just as any other phone can.

You add an email address to the contact. When you choose to send the message to the contact you can choose the email address.

mi5moav

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2004
Though the ATT plan does include MMS with TXT the data portion of the service is completely different from the texting portion of the service. That is why individuals who have a blackberry and don't have WIX may not be able to receive a MMS. DATA costs more since it uses more resources. So, ATT is very very happy that the iphone doesn't send MMS. You can also turn off the data portion of anyones texting plan. If you turn off the pay per use side of data then no MMS will be received. So, in reality the iphone is the most expensive least feature rich phone out there.

TonyHoyle

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Manchester, UK
Every MMS Nokia since 2001 can do this, just as any other phone can.

You add an email address to the contact. When you choose to send the message to the contact you can choose the email address.

It only tried if you remove the phone number from the contacts - you don't get any kind of choice. If you try to send you immediately get back a 'failed' error. So it doesn't work at all.

I don't think it tried the email at all TBH I think it tried to send to the blank phone number.

You can route an SMS through mmail (http://www.connectotel.com/sms/mmail.html) but that doesn't handle MMS so isn't a lot of use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.