Apple Revises Vintage-Obsolete Date of 2012 15-Inch MacBook Pro With Retina Display to End of 2018

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 18, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

A few months ago, in an internal document obtained by MacRumors, Apple indicated the Mid 2012 model 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display would be classified as vintage or obsolete as of June 30, 2018, marking the notebook's end of hardware service eligibility at Apple Stores and Apple Authorized Service Providers.

[​IMG]

In a notice distributed to Apple Stores and Apple Authorized Service Providers this week, however, Apple says it "incorrectly classified" the notebook as vintage or obsolete on June 30, and revised the date to December 31, 2018.

The full-length internal document, obtained from multiple sources:
    Apple has yet to remove the notebook from its public-facing vintage and obsolete products list, as shown below.

[​IMG]

Apple considers a product to be vintage or obsolete, depending on the region, when at least five years have passed since the product was last manufactured. When this happens, Apple and Apple Authorized Service Providers stop offering hardware service, like repairs, except in California and Turkey by law.

All in all, if you're still using this particular MacBook Pro, it turns out you still have a little under six months of hardware support remaining from the Genius Bar and certified repair shops. So, if you've been looking to get that battery replaced, or otherwise, it would be best to do so sooner rather than later.

Beyond that date, you're on your own. Fortunately, the repair experts at iFixit offer many do-it-yourself guides and replacement parts.

Article Link: Apple Revises Vintage-Obsolete Date of 2012 15-Inch MacBook Pro With Retina Display to End of 2018

2. TimmeyCook Suspended

TimmeyCook

Incredible how the time passes...

It's a 6 year old model and it's still modern.

3. Radon87000 macrumors 604

That's what I love about computers unlike smartphones and tablets.

4. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

Now Apple just needs to "revise" the compatible Macs for macOS Mojave :D

5. TimmeyCook, Jul 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2018

TimmeyCook Suspended

TimmeyCook

Thank Intel and the rest of the industry for the slow pace of innovation.

Back in the 90's, if you had bought a computer in 1992, it would be ridiculously in need for an update in 1998.

I mean, in 1992, there was no such thing as 3D graphics cards in the market, and in 1998, there were Voodoo 2's running Unreal.

In 1992 a sound card were crappy and totally optional, in 1998 it was a given in any computer and they were PCM based.

In 1998 you got your fancy 3.5" floppy in 1998, some more expensive builds had DVDs, and Steve Jobs wanted to take your floppies away.

In 1992 some people were insisting (still) that you only could do real work on text user interfaces, and in 1998 GUI was not a question, and Java was a thing.

In 1992 you had thy centronics and RS232 on PCs or SCSI on Macs, in 1998 the iMac had USB and FireWire and Ethernet as standard.

In fact, a mundane PC in 1998 like the iMac G3 could emulate a 1992 PC purely in software.

6. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

When the 2016 mbp is obsolete and it's up to us to repair our own machines we are screwed.

7. Nozuka macrumors 68020

I wonder if the previous announcement that my device is now vintage somehow helped to trick my mind into ordering a new one. lol

8. MoreRumors? macrumors regular

MoreRumors?

Six years seems to be a fair amount of lifespan before getting a new computer.

9. pppx3 macrumors member

pppx3

People may rant and rave about obsolescence and rightfully so.
    However, if you make something last too long, you'll sell it once and never make money again.

This is why, I believe the Windows and "built" PC days are dead.

I still deal with clients who have Windows 7 and FileMaker Pro 9. Never have they upgraded, there is no real need to, they have not spent money on improving IT for many, many years. Good for them (sort of), not so good for the IT industry.

This is why so many software companies are turning to the annual licence model.

I hate that things get "thrown out" after 5 years, but I love that this means, that Apple will be around for many years, continuing to make new products.

If you think this is bad, consider how much you spent on your car, work out how much you lose on it each year. Yes, it provides you a useful tool, but the real cost is quite large. Same for IT products, but I guess that is the case with most things now days. Nothing is built to last.

Note well... I am still using a 2011 MBP, running an SSD with High Sierra. Better than most new laptops and that has been the real reason why I have not purchased another replacement laptop since 2012... I know I will be left behind soon, but heck, I'm going to keep this laptop until it dies, which won't be for a while, since it had a logic board replacement about 1 year ago under Apple's extended warranty (known issue).

10. dogslobber macrumors 68030

dogslobber

So they give you a 6 month reprieve before forcing you to toss it in the landfill. Thanks, Apple.

11. anthorumor macrumors 6502a

And in 2018, your phone has better graphics, RAM, and processing power than your average PC in 2004.

12. Angsju macrumors newbie

Such a well aged machine! My 2012 15 inch MacBook Pro retina is on macOS mojave beta since yesterday and still works like brand new! Only had to change the battery once but it was worth it (ordered the battery and did the replacement myself for twice as less than aasp). Not looking to upgrade anytime soon yet.

13. Eightarmedpet macrumors regular

Eightarmedpet

Not sure if you are serious but you dont have to throw anything away if its still working...

14. McScooby macrumors 6502a

Don’t know how anyone can accept this. It’s a case of computer giving them too much trouble as opposed to retiring it due to long life. The 17” MBP & the 2012 15” Retina should’ve lasted another 1 & 2 years respectively (considering my mid 2012 13” & mini are still trucking), but I suspect all the hassle of dealing with it caused them too much ache, welcome to the new world of Apple (again!) clearly they don’t give a toss!:(

15. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

That's right, slobber! As soon as the service date ends, the Mac self-destructs and is completely inoperable. Tim Cook then arrives at your house with sunglasses and a machete, presses it to your throat and tells you to toss your Mac in the landfill or bad things will happen.

16. TheShadowKnows! macrumors 6502a

TheShadowKnows!

Second your Note.

I have a slightly more modern MBPr 15-in, mid-2012, as my main driver.

Upgraded him with Transcend's 1TB JetDrive (SAS 6), and it has had zero problems since day one.
    Runs and looks like new, while still holding 94.8% of its designed, battery capacity.
    I just replaced myself four keys that had their white lettering run-out and got smeared due to use.

No keyboard, no GPU issues whatsoever. All aces. (Granted: TB rev 1.0 only. But no need to drive an external display.)

I know that Mohave will be his last rodeo.

So next year I will replace him with Apple's MBP 15 2019. And by then the new keyboard with its silicone condom may solve the butterfly key conundrum.

Until then. like they say, "replacement may be sufficient, but not necessary."

17. MacFather macrumors 6502a

MacFather

It's been six years and we're still stuck with 256GB of storage on the base 15" model.

18. jonnyo macrumors newbie

Yes and no. There's not a lot that a current MacBook Pro can do that my mid-2012 model cannot. Other than Touch ID and better 4K external monitor support, everything else is evolutionary, not revolutionary.

The only concern I have now is whether my current machine will survive long enough to see another revolutionary new model. I was hoping that this year would be that release, despite seeing little evidence to support such a dream. If this machine dies tomorrow then I might replace it with a new MBP, but it won't be the same amazing experience that getting this machine was back in 2012. Or maybe it's time to look elsewhere altogether, as that new Asus ZenBook with the Screen Pad looks intriguing.

19. az431 macrumors 6502a

az431

Maybe you should read up on what this means. No one has said that you can't continue using, upgrading, or repairing it.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 18, 2018 ---
    You're not "stuck" with anything. It can be purchased with up to 4 TB of storage, you simply choose to complain about it rather than pay for more storage.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 18, 2018 ---
    According to your own examples, updates were necessary.

20. geromi912 macrumors regular

Because storage price has come down and apple’s prices never did.
    Now I wonder how much faster is the new MBP with 8950HK over 2012 with 3820QM in sustained load?:rolleyes:

21. 1000 others macrumors newbie

What are you talking about? The 2016 MBP was obsolete the day it came out.

22. Krizoitz macrumors 65816

Krizoitz

So buy something else. If what Apple offers is of no value to you speak with your wallet.

23. L-Viz macrumors regular

L-Viz

Hello, how are You? How can I help You?

Oh, ok, repair, you have an appointment? Please wait here, I will get someone from support for You ...

Hello, how are You? How can I help You?

Oh, it doesn't work? Whats wrong? It doesn't power on... Ok, let me see, oh this is one from 2012, right?

Oh ...

I am so sorry, but there is no more support for such an old device. Yeah, I know, I'm sorry, I am really sorry...

well ... you can have a look at the new ones... wait a second, I will get someone from sales for you ...

Hello, how are You? How can I help You? Would You like to try on the new Apple watch? Oh OK, it is a nice Omega, but it cannot tell You that You have a heart attack ... haha .. ha ... ha, well a new Notebook, sure, what do you need it for?
    Work?
    This is just out now, our new Macbook Pro, yes, just like your old Macbook pro...
    well, that is good for emojis. Emojis! Those faces that You use while messaging... yes You still can switch to the function keys with ⌘'+alt+F+U

well, it is 2000$. Well... 2000. No, without tax.

can I show You something else? This is fabulous, it is called iPad pro, and You can attach a keyboard to it, this is just like a notebo... Hello? Hello?

24. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Perhaps Apple saw how strange it appeared to classify the more-expensive Retina as Vintage and deny service, but not do the same for the cheaper non-Retina introduced at the same time...

25. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

Anyone interested in buying an ultra rare, un-obsolete 2012 Retina MacBook Pro? Price just tripled.