Apple Revises Vintage-Obsolete Date of 2012 15-Inch MacBook Pro With Retina Display to End of 2018

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 18, 2018.

1. imgroot macrumors member

I like "vintage". My desktops (iMac 20" 2009 and iMac 21.5" 2011) and laptop (MacBook Air 13" 2011) are on this list. Still plugging along/no plans to upgrade until something dies. CS5 or CS6 and Fusion happily running on all of them as is.

2. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Yeah and if they're worried about not getting a Mac serviced from 6 years of last purchased, they should try the Windows world.

Most OEMs stop manufacturing parts for their mid range or lower notebooks within a couple of years because they have so many different small variants of the same and just throw so many at the wall without any standardisation. There's simply too much for them to support. Try to order the parts and they'll be either ludicrously expensive or simply be out of stock/on permanent back order.

We're talking stupid changes too. A Lenovo keyboard that looks identical and is just as crap as the last model, but has a slightly different placing of the ribbon cable so it's not interchangeable with other models. Different motherboard holes, awkward heatsink designs, or three different makes of trackpads (ELAN/Synaptics/some other crap one I can't remember) for the same damn model.

If OEMs just standardised a decent design over a number of years like Apple do, they'd cut down on manufacturing costs and improve product quality. Unfortunately in the world of Windows laptops, it's a race to the bottom - even with the premium laptops.

3. nfl46 macrumors 604

nfl46

The 2015 iPhone 6s/6s Plus has aged well too.

4. MacBH928 macrumors 68040

MacBH928

Obsolete and vintage, I must say, is a marketing tactic to make people feel that their computers are old and not usable any more. Its "obsolete" its "vintage".

The truth is, computers last a good long time, some collectors still have functioning computers from the 90's or maybe 80s. Only Apple will be dropping support, but 3rd parties are there to sell your spare parts and repair solutions.

That being said, 5 years is a very fair time to upgrade your computer. If you do some calculations, using computers only costs $33/month for 5 years or $1 a day. Very fair. (calculated at$2000 price)

5. trifid macrumors 68000

trifid

6. carpleror macrumors 6502

There must have been a huge bump between the Early 2011 model and the Mid 2012 because mine is by no means “modern”. My Early 2011 and my sister’s 2010 model are basically paper weights right now. The lag on these computers are so bad they’re almost unusable.

7. trifid macrumors 68000

trifid

Try swapping the old mechanical drive with an SSD, it'll be night and day difference, you'll have a new mac.

8. Feenician macrumors 603

Feenician

It's pretty incredible how little progress Intel has made here. My 2015 is in the range of 7% and 10% to the 2017

2015 Geekbench.png

and I wondered how Apple's Ax had progressed over the same period. I chose the phone processors. These are passively cooled SOCs sitting in a phone form factor against air cooled i7's.

Ax vs i7.png

Geekbench isn't the be all and end all of performance measurement by any means but that's still pretty damning.

9. carpleror macrumors 6502

I keep getting told this. I’ll have to do some research and find a good one, but being that I’ve been told numerous times, I should probably give that a shot.

10. Feenician macrumors 603

Feenician

It will be night and day. 100%

11. trifid macrumors 68000

trifid

12. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

Shots fired!

13. vjl323 macrumors regular

What about the mid-2012 15" non-retina MBP with hi-res matte screen? This is my daily machine and I love the screen [much more than the retina screens, though i know i am in the minority - the matte finish is easier on my eyes, and the high resolution screen is great for photography].

I have a hardware issue with it, though it is not critical. I guess mine is supported until the end of the year? Or 2020?

14. MoreRumors? macrumors 6502a

That's why I think 6 yrs seems to be fair as technology changes during that time span, your needs changes and/or no longer meets the requirements or maybe your laptop is no longer functional and it makes sense to buy new rather than repair.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 18, 2018 ---
    I know, it's all about the dollars. In this case, Apple shaking more dollars out of your wallet.

15. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

If I had to guess I’d say October 2019 based on when it was discontinued, the hi res matte screen was a BTO on the 15” cMBP which stopped selling in Oct 2013.

16. euvnairb macrumors regular

I guess it's time for me to replace the battery in my 2012 rMBP then. This machine is still going strong so I don't have a need to replace it with a newer (and less usable/more expensive) mbp. Love this thing and will use it until it no longer works.

17. ignatius345 macrumors 68020

Yeah, for a museum of Macs that can run Mojave just fine, and that have Retina screens, usable ports, magsafe connectors and good keyboards. Sounds like a good place to get some work done, to me.

18. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

Reminds me of the 90’s computers lol

19. wtzouris macrumors newbie

Mine works just fine - although Apple did have to replace the retina display once and the motherboard once, and I changed the battery after 700 cycles myself using an iFixit kit. Other than thermal issues (fan starts working hard when you push the machine to do a lot of tasks) the laptop still does very well.

20. surfacewound macrumors newbie

More like thank physics. That pace has slowed because modern computing is nearly at the limits of what's physically possible on silicon. Current technology has hit a wall shrinking transistors down much further on silicon, we need a giant leap forward like switching to graphene or something, which I don't think anyone one is really that close to yet.

That's why a current CPU is no longer orders of magnitude faster than one from a few years ago like they were in the '90s.

And there are several aspects of modern computers that you're ignoring that are vastly better than computers from 6 years ago:

-Displays have improved enormously from 2012
    -Modern PCIE-based SSDs are vastly faster than 2012-based SSD storage.
    -802.11ac is far superior to 802.11n you were stuck with in 2012.
    -GPUs are significantly faster than 2012-era ones.
    -Thunderbolt 3 is an enormous game changer; in 2012 the thought of a 40Gbps port that could charge your computer while outputting 4k video to multiple displays was pure fantasy.

21. TimmeyCook Suspended

TimmeyCook

Sorry, it's not the truth.

Thing is that much more money is invested in mobile than in desktops.

22. surfacewound macrumors newbie

It is the truth.

Obviously if there were no such thing as smart phones and all the R&D stayed in desktop computing it would be further along than it is, maybe we'd be closer to replacing silicon and/or finding other workarounds etc. But if you're seriously trying to claim that's not true that we're unable to shrink transistors much more on silicon, then you're mistaken. It's why Moore's law fizzled out a few years ago, that has nothing to do with changing R&D focus to phones.

23. TimmeyCook Suspended

TimmeyCook

It is not.

But you can say what you want, this is just a forum.

24. surfacewound macrumors newbie

Whatever, I can't stop you from willful ignorance.

25. JosephAW macrumors 68020

JosephAW

Imagine if Apple made a car and said after 6 years you could no longer get parts.