Apple Revises Vintage-Obsolete Date of 2012 15-Inch MacBook Pro With Retina Display to End of 2018

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 18, 2018.

1. JosephAW macrumors 68020

JosephAW

Sooooo my mid 2012 MBP non retina is still supported but the model released afterwards is not?

2. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

To be fair, Apple keeps using the most expensive storage on the market. The 2-2.5GB/s SSDs in the 2018 model is not the same as a 500 MB/s SATA SSDs from 2012. With that said, I'd much rather have a 1GB/s SSD if it means 512GB is standard.

3. Rudy69 macrumors 6502a

Rudy69

Didn't you guys all trade them for newer models last summer? :p

4. ThunderSkunk, Jul 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2018

ThunderSkunk macrumors 68030

ThunderSkunk

No problem, I just now think of it as, after these computers have had a few years of being a Mac, the Mac part expires, Apple sabotages it, and then the computer lives on perfectly fine as a windows machine, able to be updated indefinitely. And updated. And updated again. Security updates. Performance updates. Endless updates. A big thanks to Microsoft, for taking care of Apples computers long after Apple declares them a lost cause.

Win10 installs on everything, but Windows 7 is best.

But yeah it's still windows.

5. magicschoolbus macrumors 65816

magicschoolbus

Ha! My mid 2012 classic still works great and is not vintage!

So glad I made the decision to get this model!

6. Krizoitz macrumors 65816

Krizoitz

First, this is hardware service not software.
    Second, aside from a few noteable examples like LL Bean or Jansport, most companies do this, after a given length of time they stop making/repairing old products because it makes no financial sense to do so.
    Third, Microsoft obsoletes its products too. They don't offer upgrades forever.
    Also, lol at the idea that Apple "sabotages" it given how much longer Apple products last compared to the rest of the PC industry.

7. Soccertess macrumors 65816

Another great champion falls, and we are left with Tim’s awful creations.

Rip Steve, and thank for you great products

8. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I like how Apple integrated the free dongle into the Macbook Pro so you don't see any wires back in those days.

9. turbineseaplane macrumors 601

turbineseaplane

They just want to encourage/force everyone to buy one of their new, non upgradeable, disposable "appliances".

10. Pipper99 macrumors 68020

Pipper99

Great to hear! I installed High Sierra on my mid 2012 rMBP last week, and it's been running well. I'm thinking about upgrading the SSD to 1TB, but I'm a little overwhelmed with the possible options and whether they work with my model. I guess I'll just go with OWCs stuff.

11. snebes macrumors 6502a

Thank you for confirming that even with extra ports, they went unused. The dongles are a non-issue.

12. MSalemHawks macrumors newbie

Why would you throw away a useful tool, just because you can't get it repaired at the dealer? There are hundreds of places that can source parts if needed and as many that can do the work, in fact most independent computer repair places can fix an Apple product. I live in the Daytona Beach area (not real big) and I can think of nearly a dozen places I can have an Apple computer repaired locally. Orlando and Jacksonville are about an hour away and have many many options for repair. I would expect the same to be true for a vast majority of the US. And then there is always many companies that you can send it to via UPS, FedEx etc. that you can find via Google.

13. eltoslightfoot macrumors 6502a

eltoslightfoot

This thread is so hilarious. Then I realized that people are being serious. Just to clarify, people are complaining that a 6 year old laptop will still work perfectly, it just won’t be fixed at an Apple Store and Mojave will be the last OS that can be installed. I still have a 2008 Macbook Pro that still works on an older OS. You all know that right? It doesn’t disappear in a cloud of obsolescence. Right?

14. The-Rift Suspended

The-Rift

15. ocnitsa macrumors 6502

ocnitsa

Not to mention that you can sell it "as is" on ebay and recoup 100-300 dollars depending on whatever is currently wrong with it.

16. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Yes. Historically Apple service goes from 6 years from the product last being sold, rather than 6 years from first manufactured. In this instance it's a little less than 6 but this is the general rule of thumb.

This is why the 2012 13" MBP will likely be supported until 2020-2021 after only recently being discontinued. The 15" 2012 rMBP was discontinued in Feb 2013 but the 15" cMBP was discontinued in October 2013.

17. ocnitsa macrumors 6502

ocnitsa

If you are referring to the three VGA adapters I need (one for office, one for bag, one for spare) in order to connect the thing to the archaic projectors on campus, I actually had to pay for those.

18. redheeler, Jul 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2018

redheeler macrumors 604

redheeler

Don't you mean Linux machine? That's what my Late 2006 24" iMac became, and it performs quite well on Linux Mint considering the hardware is almost 12 years old (excluding the SSD which is obviously more recent). Cinnamon even has a UI dark mode similar to the one only recently introduced in Mojave.

19. ThunderSkunk macrumors 68030

ThunderSkunk

This thread is no different than any other thread every time Apple EOL's models with "vintage" designations. The only difference this year is the reason (Metal) for Mojave not installing on older Macs being understandable. Generally it is done on the age of the machine alone without regard for the actual technical capabilities of the machine or its performance. Hence newer, weaker-spec systems getting new OS's while more powerful ones from 6 months prior are called obsolete. And hence hacking the boot-loader and getting the new OS on anyway, and finding out it indeed runs just fine. If you've spent any time on older OS's you know how parts of them cease to function as the services they connect to change and they receive no updates. The security risk that comes from using an OS that's been abandoned by its maker is also real. All this is not due to a technical limitation, but by Apple deciding the machine should be abandoned. Just because Apple sells you hardware that can run for decades doesn't mean the software or company will allow that to happen. That's what irritates people. You know that right? It's not that hard to understand. Right? See how obnoxious that is?

20. redheeler macrumors 604

redheeler

I expect my 2012 15" Retina MacBook Pro will get support in next year's OS. No reason why it wouldn't, as it survived the Metal cutoff Apple set for Mojave, and Apple's software support is separate from hardware support.

Considering I've had this Mac since it was a current model, I guess I am happy with 8 years of a current MacOS on it. Those who bought a Late 2011 MacBook Pro only got 7, meaning they really should've given those Macs support in Mojave despite the depreciation of OpenGL. The WindowServer in Mojave is still capable of running on OpenGL, meaning it doesn't truly require Metal (yet).

21. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

If a vendor doesn't stand behind their product after a certain time period then that's a head's up to any business dependent on such hardware. Sure, a random consumer might be happy to take a chance with a third party repair shop but the result is on them.

22. VeryVito macrumors regular

VeryVito

Um... My mid-2012 MBrP is the most reliable machine I've ever owned, and I've used the heck out of it for almost 10+ hours a day since my pre-order arrived six years ago. I paid what seemed like a fortune for the maxed-out 16GB/1TB/i7 version (and yes, replaced the battery for free years ago), but I've made my money back several times, and I hadn't even thought about wanting a new machine (until the 2018 model was announced last week, that is).

Just because Apple is done replacing parts on it doesn't mean its DOA; it's STILL a fantastic workhorse of a machine.

23. cmwade77 macrumors 65816

This points out precisely why we do need right to repair laws, my wife's Unibody Macbook Pro from 2012 is still working quite well, but if something dies I will have to try to find third party parts or throw it away. With right to repair laws we would at least be able to order parts and change them out ourselves if need be.

24. Snowshiro macrumors 6502

Let's be honest, whether they extend it's "official" life, it's all but obsolete in Apple's eyes already. I took my wife's 2012 Retina MBP to an Apple Store recently due to faulty soldering (Apple uses cruddy solder which wears out after a number of years of thermal expansion/contraction of the innards). Apple quoted over £600 ($780) to fix it. So, even if they're willing to service it, they're deliberately pricing it so high that it's essentially pointless even asking.

I contacted a third party unauthorized Apple repairer who fixed it for about £100 including overnight courier return. Works like a dream.

With this and the poor quality issues around MBPs for the last few years, our next laptop will be a Windows PC.

25. rpe33 macrumors regular

Yes, because Windows PC's are a staple of quality. :rolleyes: