Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple plans to adopt OLED display technology in "some" iPad models next year, following the recent adoption of mini-LED technology in its highest-end 12.9-inch iPad Pro, according to a report from Korea's ETNews.

OLED-iPad-Pro-Feature.jpg

The report, citing industry sources, claims that Apple will use OLED displays instead of LCDs in some iPad models starting in 2022. The report doesn't specify which iPad models would make the switch from LCD to OLED technology, but credible Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has reported that the mid-range iPad Air will be updated with an OLED display next year at a minimum.

Apple currently uses OLED displays for higher-end iPhones and all Apple Watch models, while the remaining product families continue to use LCD technology. OLED displays in Apple products are currently supplied by Samsung and LG, and ETNews believes that the two suppliers will also provide OLED displays for future iPads.

Last month, Apple introduced a brand new 12.9-inch iPad Pro with mini-LED technology, which, compared to LCD, offers deeper blacks, improved contrast, and higher brightness. Apple is expected to continue the adoption of mini-LED display technology with new models of the MacBook Pro as early as this year.

Article Link: Apple Rumored to Adopt OLED Displays in 'Some' iPad Models Starting Next Year

DummyFool

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2020
What a strange rumour. It was reported that OLED cost more and is often regarded as better than mini led.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
What a rip, apple tricked everyone into getting the sham mini-LED technology, then flips the table with OLED.

smh
I really doubt Apple poured so much hype and marketing into the XDR display only to abandon it a year later. There are clearly some aspects of a “pro” display that Apple believes can be best accomplished with an LED vs OLED display and mini-LED is the next interim step in the LED evolution.

I’ll be glad when Apple can consolidate on MicroLED.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
This was what Kuo said, right? iPad Air 2022 with OLED and Pro (probably the entire line - 11” & 12”) with mini-LED. Apple might believe that a mini-LED is the way to go for their Pro devices. Mini-LED is now also rumoured for the new MacBook Pro, which means Apple are confident enough about it.

Last edited:

kalafalas

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2008
California
I see apple putting a lower cost 60hz OLED in the air and keeping mini-LED for the pro. MiniLED does have better color accuracy brightness and uniformity, and won’t have burn-in issues with drawing.

but I mainly use my iPad for watching tv in bed. So if that’s the case I will buy that OLED air in a HEARTBEAT and never be sad I don’t have the pro

rovex

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2011
Wow that's something I definitely want. Mini-led blooming gate is not looking good. While an proven cheaper tech like OLED would avoid that. And tell me when was the last time your iPhone OLED screen burned-in, you would likely replace your iPad before that could happen!

No one complains about the iPhone screen anyway. But as soon as the prospect of an OLED IPad appears, it's like all hell breaks loose..

anthony13

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2012
I've pretty much resigned myself to holding off on updating my laptop and iPad until they have OLED (maybe mini-led with the laptop because that could be a very long time if ever I guess).

But to be honest, the big win of OLED for me seems to be that I have less eye strain with it, and because of that I'd jump at an OLED iMac. I know thats not likely to happen, but considering my work flow and hours spent behind the iMac I wish it would.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.