Apple Rumored to Announce New iPod Touch, Nano and Shuffle Around July 14

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 10, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple will announce a refreshed lineup of iPod touch, iPod nano and iPod shuffle portable media players around July 14, according to usually reliable French website iGen.fr. The report claims the new iPod touch (codenamed "N102") should be a more significant update, likely including a bump to a 64-bit A-based processor, while the iPod nano ("N31A") and iPod shuffle ("N12D") may be refreshed with new colors only.

[​IMG]
    iPods in unreleased colors spotted in iTunes 12.2 earlier this month

iPods in unreleased colors were spotted in iTunes 12.2 earlier this month, including a darker blue for the iPod touch, a new gold or beige color for the iPod nano and a brighter pink color for the iPod shuffle. Notably, a few eagle-eyed readers noticed that the Calendar app on the iPod touch displays "Tuesday" and "14," which lines up with Tuesday, July 14 and information shared by iGen.fr's sources.

[​IMG]
    MacRumors discovered a full lineup of six new iPod colors

MacRumors subsequently discovered a full lineup of six new colors for the iPod touch, nano and shuffle hidden within iTunes resource files, including silver, space gray, red, bright pink, deep blue and light gold. Beyond new colors, storage capacities and other minor changes, Apple last updated the iPod touch and iPod nano in October 2012 and the iPod shuffle in September 2010.

Update 1 PM Pacific: iPod touch shipping times have slipped to 3-5 business days on the Apple Online Store in the U.S. and Canada.

Article Link: Apple Rumored to Announce New iPod Touch, Nano and Shuffle Around July 14

2. fzfpff macrumors member

fzfpff

I'm not against it but does it make sense to mount 64-bit CPU on an iPod?

3. AngerDanger macrumors 601

AngerDanger

If that iPod is expected to run the same OS as Apple's other 64-bit products, absolutely.

4. oldmacs macrumors 601

oldmacs

For the iPod Touch yes!! The 5th gen is quite outdated now.. iPad 2 internals, so still usable but getting on.

SURELY they'll redesign the interface for the Nano???

5. diddl14 macrumors 6502a

diddl14

6. Delorean2006 macrumors 6502a

gosh I hope they through the A7 in the new iPod Touch, I love using one when I workout but damn, it takes forever to just pick a song with all the lag...

7. ThePimento macrumors member

ThePimento

Here's to hoping for a 128GB model. Since they killed the Classic they need something for those of us who have large libraries. Though they probably won't since you could pay to stream everything from Apple Music. *sigh*

8. AngerDanger macrumors 601

AngerDanger

9. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Are these the only colors or in addition to existing colors? And it looks like it's keeping the same desig so I guess that means no bigger screen?

10. dilap macrumors 6502a

Very likely, as it is the same date as Apple Pay UKs rumoured (with evidence) release date.

11. nj-morris macrumors 68000

nj-morris

Again, old news.

Don't forget New Horizons

12. jarred125 macrumors 6502a

The innovation here is killer. :D

13. Ballis macrumors 6502a

I wish this would have been a 4" iPhone instead. You would think it would be trivial to add GSM to those.

14. StoneJack macrumors 65816

StoneJack

Economies of scale.
    Better to utilize same architecture across all lines then having myriads of CPUS for myriads of products.

15. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

I need that gold Shuffle and that gold iPod Touch wallpaper now!

16. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

Finally the iPod Touch will become a good iOS Beta and app development device again!

17. ipadpro macrumors 6502a

ipadpro

why do people still bother ipod when we having iphone - everything iphone can do that ipod do

18. Rusty33 macrumors 6502

Rusty33

thinking differently!

19. AndyUnderscoreR macrumors 6502

AndyUnderscoreR

The current shuffle's spec is pitiful compared to other minimal mp3 players, 4x the storage for 1/4 the price, with an FM radio thrown in is about the market norm.

20. Henriok macrumors regular

This has been beten to death before, but here we go again: It's not the 64-bitness that makes this a good move, it's the newly designed ARMv8 architecture that's good, and it also just happens to be 64-bit.

21. Crzyrio macrumors 65816

Because an iPhone > $700 and an iPod < $200

iPods are mostly used by the younger age group

22. geoff5093 macrumors 68020

geoff5093

I generally agree, this was why I first bought an iPhone 3G. Why carry around a phone and iPod? However lots of people still use iPods, for instance those who don't want to carry a giant 6+ when exercising, or for kids who's parents don't want to buy them an expensive iPhone.

23. moderately macrumors 6502

moderately

Well, yea. I have been staying with iOS 7 as it only drags a little and staying on Mavericks so Numbers will sync.... Looks like everybody will get a refresh. Lets hope they pushed the processor (I can dream) and did a decent upgrade of ram.

24. ithinkwithportals macrumors regular

ithinkwithportals

Did anyone else pay attention to the Clock app? It could be showing when the planned announcement time is. The app face showed about 9:40, so maybe the announcement will be made at or shortly thereafter 9:40 AM PST? You have to zoom in on the image and stare at the iPod's clock app for a few seconds to see it. Does it sound plausible to anyone else that the time as well as the date could be shown in the image?

25. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

This is great! I'm hoping they bring the iPod Touch all the way up to A8. These CPUs don't cost Apple anything to make these days, and we know now that they won't update it again for another 3 years so let's put a good CPU in this thing so it has some lasting power