Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xand&Roby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2020
I’m okay with that. I love the iPad’s current design so I don’t want it to change too much. I’m worried the next major design change will include a notch, so the longer they keep the current design, the better.
Also me, but this isn't the point. The point is  made a iPad Pro design to work with OLED display (iPhone and Watch just use it in 2018) while developing it yrs by yrs to made the real product available only in last releases, when it will be upgraded (I hope, but Watch 3 and SE22 are still here year after year). I don't think one of the most capitalized company in the world, better known for his approach on design, could spent years to sell finally the right product, when it is simply obsolete (SE22 I see you..). But it's me, I know.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
Great news if true. The mini-LED on the 12.9” is a big improvement over the ordinary LCD displays, but blooming is a major issue for me. OLED would get rid of blooming, boost efficiency, and improve response time.

Reactions: VaruLV

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
They're moving most everything to OLED. That's not a surprise. It'll happen eventually but the claims of it coming soon have been around for a couple years now.
OLED pricing and availability has leveled out. Even with OLED being around now for the better part of 10 years, we’re just now starting to see transitions away from LCD primarily. I still think the next piece of display technology is with micro LED for a myriad of reasons, primarily less power draw, which will greatly influence battery LI-ion longevity.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
OLED pricing and availability has leveled out. Even with OLED being around now for the better part of 10 years, we’re just now starting to see transitions away from LCD primarily. I still think the next piece of display technology is with micro LED for a myriad of reasons, primarily less power draw, which will greatly influence battery LI-ion longevity.
If it took OLED so many years to finally start coming to laptops/monitors (and not in its full potential), imagine how far microLED is.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
If it took OLED so many years to finally start coming to laptops/monitors (and not in its full potential), imagine how far microLED is.
The R&D is there and has been for quite some time in smaller quantities. It comes down to materials and manufacturers that can support the numbers needed for mass production.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Well Apple raised the 12.9" price $100 to cover MiniLED so not sure why they could not just do the same with the 11" unless an 11" MiniLED display is significantly more expensive than the 12.9" and would require Apple to raise the price $200 or more.

Young says that MiniLED (and ProMotion) are coming to an "Apple Studio Display Pro" at WWDC - sounds nuts to me to do so a handful of months after releasing the ASD, but again, the man's sources have been 100% so far.

I think MacBook Air could get MiniLED when it goes to M2.

I suspect at $900 or a full 50% more expensive than iPad Air, demand will start to decrease. 11-inch is a bit small to do any serious work even on mini LED panel. And I'm pretty sure the margins are higher on the 12.9-inch model. Prior to the refresh, it was $749 for 11-inch vs. $999 for 12.9-inch. I doubt it costs anywhere close to that for an extra 2-inches.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Makes sense I guess, I do enjoy my 12.9 pro with mini led certainly good for content. Hard to see where they can improve things though it’s software which needs work

Scipster

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2020
Torn. I prefer OLED to mini-LED but I was planning on upgrading my 11” 2018 iPP this year. If the current crop of rumors are wrong and the 11” gets mini-LED I’ll just go for it. If it is still side-lit, like the Air, I’m not sure what I will do.

EDIT: Regardless, an update is clearly coming this year, the current Air is too close to the Pros in spec. So I just hope Apple announces the update ASAP.
Same here. Been waiting to upgrade my 2014 iPad Air 2, but Apple hasn’t updated the screen on the 11” iPad Pro yet. Was hoping it would appear a year ago, and now have to wait another 2 years… oh well ?

In other news, the iPad Air 2 is still holding up 8 years later. Say what you will, Apple devices are built to last!

Reactions: gnomeisland

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States
I’m still on my 2017 iPad Pro (12.9) and I’ve yet to see a reason to upgrade from it. 2024 is looking like the right time and feature set to do so. Should be on M4 by then.
I keep looking at Refurbs iPad Pros and M1 models and I keep coming to the conclusion that until iPadOS is updated with a really compelling use case, I’ll stick with my 2017 12.9” for now. I’m not sinking money into expensive hardware when there is still significant work to make iPadOS a useable daily productivity OS. I don’t need it to be macOS, but there are just shortfalls that need to be addressed and resolved.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
*sigh* Guess I'll probably buy last gen iPad refurb when Apple switches to OLED. I'm already limited to the iPhone SE because OLED-based iPhones gives me headaches. :(
Rui no onna slightly off topic, are you getting the SE 2022 as its LCD?

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
Torn. I prefer OLED to mini-LED but I was planning on upgrading my 11” 2018 iPP this year. If the current crop of rumors are wrong and the 11” gets mini-LED I’ll just go for it. If it is still side-lit, like the Air, I’m not sure what I will do.

EDIT: Regardless, an update is clearly coming this year, the current Air is too close to the Pros in spec. So I just hope Apple announces the update ASAP.
My guess? iPad Pro launches in the Fall when the M2 is announced with the M2 and miniLED on both 11” and 12.9” and possibly larger camera modules (which means new Magic Keyboard).

Reactions: gnomeisland

Ipadlover29

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2011
I hope in addition to OLED screens we finally get more than the standard 10 hour battery life and larger screens would be nice. Make the 11" a 12" and the 12.9" a 14". Trim down the bezels with a notch for the camera at the top in landscape mode. One can dream.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
5 yrs of same case for develop a product designed by day one for OLED display. iPad Pro will be the next iPhone 6-SE22 family or, for older users, Combo Drive. .
Not 5 years. It's been just over 3 years. The new case was released in Nov of 2018. Still a very clean and modern design. No need for a frivolous redesign. They might finally move the location of the camera in the next update but I would not expect a major overhaul.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
I’m okay with that. I love the iPad’s current design so I don’t want it to change too much. I’m worried the next major design change will include a notch, so the longer they keep the current design, the better.
As long as we don't get too many people complaining about the 'icky' bezels, they shouldn't need a notch. Still need fingers to grip the edges.

Lucas Curious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2020
should I get this OLED iPad or should I wait for MicroLed iPad to come out? I want an future proof iPad and after reading this, ill hold off and keep using paper and pencil.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: BigMac? and Tagbert
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.