Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
I’ll consider iPad again once it has an OLED display, but fix PWM first before expanding to other product lines.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
I don’t think there is anything Apple can bring hardware wise that would compel a 2021 12.9 iPad Pro user to upgrade, however, I do think the M2, FaceTime camera relocate, might be compelling reasons for older iPad Pro owners to upgrade.

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
I don’t think there is anything Apple can bring hardware wise that would compel a 2021 12.9 iPad Pro user to upgrade, however, I do think the M2, FaceTime camera relocate, might be compelling reasons for older iPad Pro owners to upgrade.
My gut feeling is that it isn't easy for apple to relocate the camera because that's also where the contact is for charging your apple pencil. They would need a redesign of the internals in order for this to work.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK

I’m really not sure what they could add at this point to improve things. Software is where it’s at. Unless they market it as a new model will be a software exclusive

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
I’m really not sure what they could add at this point to improve things. Software is where it’s at. Unless they market it as a new model will be a software exclusive
There’s been no rumors on iPadOS 16, or even iOS 16 for that matter. I don’t know if that means Apple is working on fairly significant software upgrades or if we can expect more of the same. Craig and his iPadOS team have been quite mum lately.

Mcckoe

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2013
The choice between Mini-LED and OLED for apple is a combination of four factors… Battery life, max brightness, Refresh rate, and Consistent quality…

Current almost all ~12.9 inch OLED panels manufactured are: 60hz, under 400nits, draws more than 2x-3x the battery life, and has consistency issues for large orders.

Right now Mini-LED is the best option, in the future when LTPO OLED is available: 120hz should be standard, 600-800nits standard, and same if not slightly less power draw.

Remember that Micro-LED and direct-LED are still available tech as well, and might render OLED obsolete at sub 30” displays. That tech is still 5 years or so out, but nothing is stopping a company like apple to push the envelope.

Reactions: Populus and Tagbert

Mcckoe

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2013
All display technologies have trade-offs.

LCDs have trouble with dark blacks and bright whites.

OLEDs (which are a wide ranging group of technologies, not just a single type) have historically had problems with image burn-in. Some of them have been more expensive than LCDs and have trouble with off-angle color reproduction. Apple has been exploring a two-layer OLED that is intended to offset the burn-in and fade problems of OLEDs though it is likely to be more expensive. QD-OLED is new and has some nice properties but is also in the expensive side.

MiniLED can bring many of the benefits of a high range of brightness of OLEDs without the burn-in. their downsides are problems with blooming in some cases (the iPad miniLED seems to have more of that problem than the MBP screen). MiniLEDs also add to the cost.

MicroLEDs offer promise of no-compromise image quality and stability but so far they are more prototype than product and they promise to be expensive as well. In any case we are probably a few years away from seeing production microLED screens.

Different uses cases more closely match the characteristic of each display tech. Apple has been using miniLED in recent years on mid-range sized screens (iPads and Laptops). We'll see if they continue using that tech, particularly in large screens where the price may be a factor. As new tech becomes available, Apple may make some different choices for some products. When new screen tech comes out, I like to go to an Apple store to test it out.
I think you missing out on the more design forward advantages to using OLED over LCD, that in the end it will come down to advantages for the final product. With OLED you could take a display all the way to the edge of an iPad Pro for example(making a 12.9” display a 14” display, or an 11” display a 12” display in the same form factor). OLED is also overall a thinner tech, meaning more room for other components or at the very least more battery. Generally there is less noise across OLED screens so touch and other devices(like a apple pencil would work better), naturally lower refresh times, and the list goes on.

My point on all of this is… The best tech or the smartest option isn’t always the option used, OLED has a lot going for it, which makes it beneficial for a lot of reason beyond being the best looking display. It is possible something else will be developed that is more advantageous in other ways, or is just so much cheaper to mass produce that it is chosen over OLED. However, even Apple has a wait and see approach to exactly what tech they are adding to what device two years out, generally a device has to be finalized for build 6-8 months before release. So, most likely… The decision to switch from Mini-LED or not, would be made sometime in ~ a year from now(Feb-March 2023), for a 2023 school-holiday release window.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.