Apple Rumored to Begin Seeding iOS 10.3 With New 'Theatre' Mode on January 10

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 30, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple is preparing to begin seeding builds of iOS 10.3 to developers as soon as next month, according to Sonny Dickson, who has occasionally offered accurate information on Apple's plans from supply chain sources and other contacts. Dickson says iOS 10.3 will include a new "Theatre" mode with a "popcorn-shaped" icon in the Control Center, although he does not explain what exactly this mode will entail.

The most recent significant iOS update was iOS 10.2, which was released to the public earlier this month and included a new TV app and a number of new and updated emoji, among other changes. A new iOS 10.2.1 update is currently in beta testing.

[​IMG]
    Trend of visits to MacRumors from devices claiming to be running iOS 10.3

We've seen a steady increase in visits to MacRumors from devices claiming to be running iOS 10.3 over past several months with visits now numbering in the hundreds per day, suggesting a developer release could indeed be coming in the near future.

Apple has been rumored to be launching updated iPad models in the March or April timeframe, with the company reportedly developing some new iPad-specific software features such as improved Apple Pencil support to accompany the hardware updates. It's possible iOS 10.3 could be the update that delivers these features, although it may not be apparent in the early stages of developer seeding if the new features are exclusive to unreleased hardware.

Article Link: Apple Rumored to Begin Seeding iOS 10.3 With New 'Theatre' Mode on January 10

2. andy.ringwood Suspended

Hoping it's Apple's name for a dark mode but it's probably just a button that disables sounds and vibration and turns down the brightness, all in one click.

3. 007 Junior macrumors regular

007 Junior

Dark mode confirmed?
    --- Post Merged, Dec 30, 2016 ---
    That would not make a lot of sense as we already have the Do Not Disturb option for occasions like going to a movie.

4. Lotti macrumors member

"Theatre mode" = Orientation lock except for full-screen video?

5. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

How about being able to change the volume without missing 3 seconds of whatever you're watching?

6. Mikey44 macrumors member

Mikey44

One can only assume that since theaters are dark, it must be dark mode.... ;)

But seriously. Dark mode would be amazing, and it seems smart to put it in control center.

7. Relentless Power macrumors G4

Relentless Power

I like Sonny. He has a decent track record with predictions. Curious to see what this is about.

8. alayal macrumors member

maybe the "Theatre mode" disable the sound and reduce brightness or introduce some kind of dark mode. But I think it would not be the dark mode people is expecting just some kind of reduction of brightness like zoom option on accessibility, I hope to be wrong.

9. WeemanWise macrumors 6502

WeemanWise

Popcorn button? My iPhone can microwave popcorn now?

10. Lotti macrumors member

Would be cooler if it were controlled by ambient brightness. Also, calling it 'Theatre' mode - that is, suggesting that it's primary purpose is so that you're slightly less annoying while using your phone in a theatre - seems a bit tone-deaf.

11. AppleFan91, Dec 30, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2016

AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

This could literally be anything lol. A dark mode? Maybe, but what does popcorn have to do with that? Instantly lowers screen brightness, silences the phone volume for when you're in theaters? Maybe. But that is pretty much handled through DND.

12. Dydegu macrumors 6502a

Dydegu

This is actually a brilliant idea. So many people don't turn down their brightness in theaters and concerts and blind half the audience when they use their phone.

So theaters would request patrons to put their phones onto theater mode. Silences it and restricts the brightness. I like it and the world needs it. These dot releases are getting better and better.

13. 6836838 Suspended

Won't happen. Requires a new API that devs would need to implement in the SDK. Unlikely to happen before a WWDC but not impossible given AppleTV changes of late. But for it to work well, devs will need to implement it.
    I hope so. This is much needed. Sleep mode doesn't quite cut it for this reason.

14. Justim macrumors 6502

I don't understand why devices with unreleased software/hardware visit MacRumors and other rumors sites. It's a conspiracy, man.

15. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

I deleted my post because after playing with DND, it blocks all calls and notifications from covering the screen or showing up on the screen even when it's unlocked. So excited I just found that haha, I'll be using that like crazy.

16. Justim macrumors 6502

I use Zoom Filter and reduce white point from accessibility with a triple click along with night shift during the night. iPhone screen brightness has always been an issue for me. Couldn't see it in sunlight prior to the 7 yet blinded at night. That's a lot of steps to reduce brightness, though.

17. Carmenia83 macrumors 6502

Hopefully, once activated, a boxing glove comes out and punches you in the face if you touch your phone before the movie ends.

18. 69Mustang, Dec 30, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2016

69Mustang macrumors 601

69Mustang

I don't want to be the one to Larry David your enthusiasm, but can we get the actual releases before we deem them better and better?;) You said theater mode, created a scenario for what it would be, and said the world needed it. What we need is more of your unbridled enthusiasm. Theater mode... not so much.:)

Theater mode could just as easily resemble Samsung's Cinema Mode on it's Galaxy S line of devices where the color saturation is more suited to movies and video.

19. Ad13 macrumors member

So without this new feature, I go to the cinema or theatre and currently I adjust the setting to what I think is suitable and the iPhone also adjusts brightness to ambient lighting. Why do I care that the person a few rows up think it's slightly too bright? Stupid 'enhancement'.

20. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Now we know why the Night Shift button is comically large: they're going to make it half the size and put theater mode on the other half.

This will probably be yet another button I don't use. I hate the two panes in iOS 10. I want it down to one with everything I don't use gone. Bring on the customization already.

They need to fix this problem, but I would do it by implementing YouTube's orientation functionality, not yet another toggle in Control Center.

21. Ad13 macrumors member

Perhaps true about the Night Shift button. It's way too big on such an important high level control.

22. Naraxus macrumors 6502

Naraxus

Kudos to you sir for the great reference

23. andy.ringwood Suspended

So what if it needs a API. Apple can still have it throughout the OS and add an API at a later date.
    It actually does make sense. Things such as alarms are ignored by DnD.

24. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

But would that require an entire new mode and icon in CC? Couldn't that be better suited as another option in the DND menu? I hope it isn't that

25. JOLoughlin macrumors member

JOLoughlin