Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

selva

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2011
Hmm, I wonder what they'd do with the resolution on this device to avoid fragmentation. Reuse the current iPhone 5 resolution? I wonder at what point you'll start seeing the pixels. I do think the iPhone 5 Retina display has some leeway although 4.8" might be about as far as Apple could push it.

How so? Apple has a 9.7 inch Retina display on the iPad and a 15 inch Retina display on a Macbook. Family pics look stunning on them.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Well if the rumors are true, it just goes to show that Apple is on top of their game with bigger & better yet to come.

AppleInTheMud

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
Vojens Denmark
Not desperat move. But even Apple has to realize, that to keep up with the competion, they have to move faster that 1 phone a year.

But again only a 8 mp camera ? Noooo :-/ So the third phone i row with that ?

But again. It's a rumour. So don't believe it.

mdlooker

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2011
US
I think a Bigger and innovative iOS 7 will be a definite win for me! Just have to figure out this subsidized price since that just may happen before my upgrade eligibility in 2014. smh

The option at this point is full retail..:eek:

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
They just changed screen size, and now another iPhone? with a larger screen.

I really don't want the fragmentation in apps to expand even more. I hate having these black bars on my iPhone as is. Adding another resolution would only further this hell of indifferent iPhone apps. Let's just stick to these 2 resolutions please.

It wouldn't be a problem if they just kept the iPhone 5's resolution. Sure, they couldn't technically call it a "Retina" screen anymore, but it should still look quite good. That'd be a 272 dpi screen.

AppleInTheMud

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
Vojens Denmark
In iOS 7 I wish for, that maybe the search screen (left swipe) could contain functions to set to Plane Mode, Turn off mobile data and so on. Need some simple widgets.

And the LOOK of iOS needs to be updated dramaticly. It looks so 2007 now.

I use my iPhone again, but mostly because it fits in my pocket :) I dont need a bigger screen.

It's a phone not a tablet - but the move of Apple to make bigger screens "for choice" is wise. Cos' they have to be competetive. Or else it will go more and more downwards.

look at their stocks. People want news. And since Steve died - Hmmm :-( The new iMac is a down grade. And the designs of the Retina macbooks are worse. The "old" macbook pro looks good. But the lines of the new retina looks so unfinished.

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
No, just no. No no no no no, NO. Buy an android device, please. Stop making it sound like bigger screens are a necessity. THEY are not. this is simply a matter of taste.

If that is the case, why does Apple sell a 21" and a 27" iMac if one size fits all?

Please don't dictate what other people want.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
If I couldn't wait, I'd own a Samsung Note.
I have to admit they are pretty awesome.
Not only the screen but the operating system might be buggy and crash but it looks better than the iOS and it practically doesmore too.
Way to talk it up there, dude. :rolleyes:

AppleInTheMud

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
Vojens Denmark
It wouldn't be a problem if they just kept the iPhone 5's resolution. Sure, they couldn't technically call it a "Retina" screen anymore, but it should still look quite good. That'd be a 272 dpi screen.

272 is still a very very crisp quality. The Galaxy note 2 I have only have 267 and just by looking I cant tell the difference to the iPhone 5 I also have.

So a bigger iPhone with 272 dpi would still be a good resolution

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011

Don't wish for more megapixels. The sensor is too small, and increasing the number of megapixels will just make photos look grainier. 8mp is about the limit of what they can fit in there with a sensor so small. And they can't fit a bigger sensor in there, the physics of it simply wouldn't work. Improvements from now on will have to come in the form of more refined lenses and better camera software.

selva

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2011
I think a Bigger and innovative iOS 7 will be a definite win for me! ....

Lol ... I guess that would make it iOS 7 on an A7 chip. This time Samsung won't be privy to the chip features before it's release so readily since they won't be manufacturing them any more. It should be interesting to see if they will be still be able to go toe to toe so well with Apple after this. I suspect they won't.

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
Will buyers still care by June with the S4 coming out?

Apple seems years behind the market and they get more desperate every week.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
272 is still a very very crisp quality. The Galaxy note 2 I have only have 267 and just by looking I cant tell the difference to the iPhone 5 I also have.

So a bigger iPhone with 272 dpi would still be a good resolution

I can tell the difference between a Note II and an iPhone 5. The iPhone 5 is crisper... I don't want a decrease in ppi :(

batman4ever25

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2013
Baghdad
Not desperat move. But even Apple has to realize, that to keep up with the competion, they have to move faster that 1 phone a year.

But again. It's a rumour. So don't believe it.

Your right, it's just a rumour.

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
Steve Jobs always implied that the customer is sometimes wrong.

If Apple doesn't think that people should use huge phones, they shouldn't make them. Before the iPad, nobody thought a tablet would be useful. Before the iPhone, nobody thought a super-expensive smartphone would sell.

Steve Jobs has been wrong on multiple occasions. Apple has been wrong many more times.

Smart phones and tablets are not a new invention... remember Newton, Palm OS, Symbian, Windows CE, Blackberry OS... the smartphone has been in a long time making, long before the iPhone.

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
Lol ... I guess that would make it iOS 7 on an A7 chip. This time Samsung won't be privy to the chip features before it's release so readily since they won't be manufacturing them any more. It should be interesting to see if they will be still be able to go so well toe to toe with Apple after this. I suspect they won't.

Not sure you noticed this yet, but iPhones run iOS and Samsungs high end phones run Android. Ax chips are designed for iOS and not for other OS. Beside that, Samsung is (also) a Chip maker. Apple is not. It's much more likely that Apple can learn a good deal from Samsung rather then the other way round.

arbitter

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2010
Belgium
Oh god not this again. What's everyones fascination with huge screens? Why cant a phone stay a phone, with a normal sized screen that fits in your pockets. Like the iPhone 4(s). If you want to do heavy stuff, do it on a tablet or pc.
I'm considering buying my first iPhone, the next release. But if the screen gets upped from the 5, and the width and length of the device largeness, I will have to reconsider.
Ofcourse if it would be one of two configurations, I guess it's a please all, except for the devs. And it'll be way harder to control the demand. However I really don't see Apple introducing two new phones in the same time.

AppleInTheMud

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
Vojens Denmark
If I couldn't wait, I'd own a Samsung Note.
I have to admit they are pretty awesome.
Not only the screen but the operating system might be buggy and crash but it looks better than the iOS and it practically doesmore too.
I am disappointed with the iphone 5. In landscape, it is unusable. The screen proportion is great for video but useless for anything else. Try reading a text
Message conversation in landscape. Only one or 2
Lines fit. Very limiting...

but, since I am an apple user since 1986, Once you go Mac, you don't go back!
:)

Might be buggy and crash ? Samsungs Android version crashes faaarrrr less than iOS 6. I have both and know. iOS 5 was the last "big thing" ... Since that it's just getting old.

I can on the Galaxy Note 2 run 2 App's in split screen and the faster cpu and the double RAM makes it run just as smooth as 1 app on the iPhone. Soooo dont bad mouth Android cos they can stuff we only dream about.

But ofcourse there are many crap Androids outthere. But thats because low cost phones also runs android. It's a big difference if you have a Huawai for 20$ or an expensive Galaxy Note 2.

----------

I can tell the difference between a Note II and an iPhone 5. The iPhone 5 is crisper... I don't want a decrease in ppi :(

You must have super eyes. Cos after 250 your eyes shouldnt be thaaat apple (able) to see that.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
Steve Jobs has been wrong on multiple occasions. Apple has been wrong many more times.

Smart phones and tablets are not a new invention... remember Newton, Palm OS, Symbian, Windows CE, Blackberry OS... the smartphone has been in a long time making, long before the iPhone.

I love this kind of reasoning. Your argument actually strengthens the assertion that Steve Jobs and Apple were right more often than not. You see, while tablets and "smart phones" (it really depends how you define it) did exist before the iPhone/iPad in some form, in both cases Apple cracked the code for how to make such products work and not only succeed in the marketplace but revolutionize it. For example there were touchscreen phones before the iPhone but the screen quality was poor, they didn't have multitouch, they didn't work that well, and no one wanted them. Same for the tablets. Apple came along with the right screen size/quality, the right software and UI, multitouch, etc. and voila. We now spend much of our daily "computing" time on a phone.

Last edited:

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011

Being right 20% is totally good enough. There is a long string of failed Apple products. It's normal when you are doing totally new products.

Marlor

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2005
I hope it's not called "Math" in Australia or Europe.

We say "Maths" here.

"Math" as an abbreviation of "Mathematics" is an Americanism, and a grating one at that, inexplicably reducing a plural form to a singular one.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
seems desperate to have so many releases in a short amount of time

Samsung must have been desperate for many, many years. I mean just try to find two Samsung TVs with identical model numbers in two different stores. It is is just impossible. (Intentional to make price comparisons impossible)

As a developer, the thing that strikes me is that a 4.8-5'' screen iPhone would mean increasing pixel density to something around 440dpi. The aspect ratio of the screen would stay at 16/9 (or around that value) like the iPhone 5.

That doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.