Apple Rumored to Unveil 10.5-Inch iPad Pro at Early April Event

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 13, 2017.

1. HarryWild macrumors 6502a

HarryWild

2. Alex 88 macrumors newbie

Alex 88

I use my iPad more than ANY other computing device.

3. bingeciren macrumors 6502a

bingeciren

Sure but can you edit and create documents? According to Microsoft, in your case, you are only allowed to view but not edit and create.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 14, 2017 ---
    I
    I'm one of those few. I have a slim sleeve to protect it when I'm not using it. All cases add a huge amount of weight and bulk to an otherwise nice lightweight and slim device. My 9.7" iPad feels so much lighter without a case. The difference for the 7.9" Mini is even more pronounced. A Mini without a cover is so light and comfortable that I can hold it with one hand to read indefinitely.

By the way, outside the topic but, I use all my iPads in landscape mode for browsing and watching videos and pictures. Text size in Safari is much better in landscape. The experience is similar to using a notebook screen. Only for reading books and magazines I prefer the portrait mode, mainly because of the format of the source material.

4. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I find reader mode in safari resizes the text just nicely in portrait mode.

5. Chicane-UK macrumors 6502

Haha :) My 'real' PC is a Wintel 6700K based system.. I didn't bother putting that in my sig, as of course this is an Apple enthusiast forum!

The Mini has been a disappointment if I'm honest, but the Air still surprises me after all these years, how quick it is. Great system.

6. Commentist macrumors newbie

For me, hardware and fixed software costs come out of a capital budget. Subscription and one-off costs usually come out of my own pocket (and so basically cost 50% more than the price tag, as well as wasting my time). I've junked Office 365 because it's such a pain and gone back to the pre-subscription version.

This is for work purposes - I have almost no need for Office for personal use.

7. bingeciren macrumors 6502a

bingeciren

Forgive my ignorance but how do you access the reader mode?

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yeah, Apple's cycle seems to be royally messed up. Aside from the MBP, we've not really seen any updates to their Mac line.

It seems they're focusing all of their attention on the iPad/iPhone product lines. It will be interesting to see what they roll out for updated iPads.

They need to take a look at their line up for iPads, its confusing at best. They have two 9.7" iPads, one can use a stylus the other cannot. They have 2 different 7.9" iPads and one 12.9" iPad.

I think they need to simplify the product line up imo

9. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Tap on the three dots on the left hand side of the address bar.

[​IMG]

10. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

I could be completely wrong but maybe the 9.7 will no longer hold the "pro" name and will be the new "air" while the 10.5'' will have the same footprint but have slim bezels and hold the smaller size "pro" name. I would trade my 9.7 for a semi-bezel free same size 10.5 (I think the 12.9 is an amazing size to replace a laptop but for half of my usage i.e. bedtime viewing, it would be awkward). Though, like you said, I need more than just smaller bezels to trade in a perfectly good 9.7 pro for a new iPad of any size. I think that if the 10.5'' came with (even though that is so far fetched, you know it would cost extra these days) a docking station or something that propelled it more towards completely replacing a laptop, I would replace my pro already. Anyway, morning coffee rant over.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 15, 2017 ---
    I wonder what the PC era adoption rate was. I would think it looks similar where everyone rushed to buy the first couple models of the first home affordable home computing system and needed to update less frequently as technology advanced. There is already proof that technology advancement (in general) plateaus for periods of time before another leap in consumer technology advancement.

Just a side note from my memory, in the early 90's when I got my first pc (which was my dads hand-me-down he got from work a couple years before) you didn't buy a new pc hardly ever. You would update RAM and HD's, sometimes GPU/CPU's but never bought a new computer every 6 months to 2 years. I didn't even get another computer until I joined the Marines in '05 and my parents bought me a crappaq laptop to take on deployment (didn't hold up to the sand, broke within 2 years.....like actually broke from all the sand in the air). So, for almost a decade the same computer was in my room/apartment before replacing. Now as a "big boy" I update my iMac about every 4-6 years which is almost the same trend becoming apparent with the iPad.

11. sracer macrumors 601

sracer

Thank you for this.

It is a bit irritating when people who use 5% of the functions of desktop Office extoll the virtues of iOS Office and claim that an iPad Pro can replace a notebook and recommend that a university student majoring in Accounting get an iPad Pro instead of a notebook. :eek: Good luck using iOS Excel.

The things that most people do with Office can be done with alternatives like Google Docs and iWork. The focus of MS Office for iOS is primarily as a document viewer that can make edits/updates to the content (with little to no capabilities of changing the formatting). It is primarily NOT for document creation. For example: You can't create a Word doc with a "table of contents" using iOS Word, but iOS Word can easily read and correctly display an existing Word doc that contains a TOC. You can update that document and preserve formatting.

Regarding the rumor of a 10.5 iPad Pro in early April....

I'm still not convinced that there will be a 10.5 iPP. It doesn't makes sense to have both a 9.7 iPP AND a 10.5 model at the same time. The 9.7 Pro was announced only a year ago (3/21/16). Talk of making this the "low cost" model doesn't make sense when the Air 2 is still around and less expensive. I can only see a 10.5 Pro being released if they discontinue the 9.7. In other words, if there is a 10.5 Pro, things will be messy.

12. bingeciren macrumors 6502a

bingeciren

Somehow I don't see that on any of my IOS devices. I wonder why? IMG_0238.jpg IMG_0238.jpg

13. IPadNParadise macrumors regular

IPadNParadise

I do not have the 3 dots on the left of my address bar. Is this readers mode only available on a cellular model ipad? I have a wifi only ipad.

14. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

I agree with you that it is a different mindset for the subscription based model vs. the "buy the box" model.

However, given that, spending $10 on Office a month comes out better for the user (I can't really believe I just typed that...) over 3 years is $360, and Office costs about $499 for the package, and they upgrade it out every 3 years, the user comes out $140 ahead.

The truth is though that no one pays full price for software (sales, promotions, etc.) so the best I can say about this is that it normalizes cost and income (to MS) for the software. For the users, it's $10/month for 5 machines plus 5 portables (the old license let you install it on 3 computers), and for MS it's $10/month ad infinitum.

15. Kate. macrumors regular

It's only available on a page that is currently displaying an article.

16. imola.zhp macrumors 6502

imola.zhp

Still waiting on a 7.9" iPad Mini Pro, then we will upgrade from our iPad Mini Retina's. I want the ability to write on them with an apple pencil.

17. bingeciren macrumors 6502a

bingeciren

YES, that's the secret! Thank you for de-mystifying.

18. Dave245 macrumors 68040

19. dooyou macrumors regular

I don't care where the Apple Event will be held. Fine with me in the Woods or Press Release.

20. Pistol Peto macrumors member

Pistol Peto

This.

I'd love to see a proper file management system -> Open a folder. Open a file. Makes changes. Touch save. Done.

Same as bringing images into a document -> Insert. Picture from file. Browse. Touch. Done.

My iPad Pro is very close to replacing most of what my Mac can do - this would be the biggest change for me.

21. bingeciren macrumors 6502a

bingeciren

Historically, even going back to Steve's early years, Apple always steered away from file management. When I bought my first iPod back in 2006, the first thing I noticed was the total lack of direct control over the music files. Using iTunes as a means to loading a music file into the iPod was the only way and the task of file management was taken away from the user and delegated to the iTunes.

The same principle of isolating the user from the photo files was also evident in iPhoto. Again, the actual files were hidden in a container, called the iPhoto library, and the task of managing each file was taken away from the user and delegated to the iPhoto. We see the same trend continue in Photos.

IOS took this principle to the extreme and removed direct access to all files. There is no Finder in IOS.

I think the philosophy behind this is that Apple thinks people are stupid, they cannot organize files properly and are liable to mess things if it's left to them. We don't see this Apple way of nannying in other systems, like Windows, Linux / Unix.

It's like your mom not trusting you to where to put your socks. She takes them away from you when you take them off and place them into a "proper" drawer for you. And when you need to put a sock on again, you tell your mom to get the particular sock you want and she brings them to you. But, you are not allowed to put your own socks to where ever you want it. God forbid, you may even put them under the bed instead of the sock drawer and not be able to find them again. ;)

22. mr.bee macrumors 6502a

mr.bee

True, and than Apple makes some commitments with IBM and SAP. Like companies are going to throw away all their current investments and just gonna go with some overpriced, self-absorbed IBM or SAP consultant....right...

regarding the iPad pro rumour, it seems like the exact same tactic they want to pull off for the iPhone 7S and iPhone edition.

23. ValO macrumors 6502a

I guess it won' t be entirely without bezel.
    A virtual homebutton?
    What about touchid?
    From the rumors of the iphone 8 i conclude, that an under display touchid module won' t be available in time.(and that is for oled).
    So just a bezel shrink with the " old" homebutton is the only option , it could be just about enough to squeeze in a 10.5 inch in the same footprint as a 9.7 inch ipad.

The only other way to get a bezel free ipad right now is to make an in-screen button with forcetouch(same as the iphone 7, but without a dimple and able to display content), and drop touchid and switch to facial recognition.

24. saile, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017

saile macrumors newbie

I do not believe much these rumors, because Apple often changes the date of its events at the last moment.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    samsung galaxy s9 galaxy s8 prix

25. myrhillion macrumors newbie

myrhillion

As a former infantry (Army) guy, I lament your sand-machine. I'm also a family guy and have 2 kids, 10 and 7. I have an iPad2 still in use, along with 2 iPad 3's (one's a backup hand me down from grandma). I still own and use an ipad4 personally, but mostly use my work provided iPad air 2 (which is such a nice machine). I am finally at a point where I might upgrade my personal iPad and trickle the 4 down to the kids, just waiting to see what releases in late March, early April.

I'm surprised the iPads have lasted this long, but they're in good cases for the kids. The 2 and 3 are no longer updatable to iOS 10 though. Shame since they still work, but I understand the cause/reason.

As to my iMac, I updated to a iMac retina 5k, in late 2014 when they were first introduced. Love, love, love this machine. My former iMac 27" non-retina 2010 machine is the family computer now and after a power supply repair, is still in use. Can't really argue the durability of all these devices. Any other hp, or dell, would have **** itself and had some major physical failure that would have destroyed the rest of the machine by now.

What really pisses me off though is that I have no mac computer capable of running an Oculus Rift (CV1). I had to buy a PC (alienware) to run the rift. This is by itself, the most concerning aspect of Apple's refresh cycles. I think they're going to fall in to the irrelevant category for PC's if they don't get this figured out. Using a VR HMD for regular computer use is amazing, and it just really irritates me that it has to be in Windows.