Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HJM.NL

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2016
Netherlands
Know this is off topic but I'm debating should I get a 12.9 inch iPad when the new one comes out or a 4k tv? Random question I know. Torn which one has more usefulness but I have a MacBook pro and iPhone already.
I would say neither...because both are pricey and limited today. Keep your money in your pocket for the time the content for the devices gets more useful. iOS is crippling an iPad Pro and lag of 4K is crippling a 4K tv.

My humble opinion :cool:

Reactions: Demo Kit

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
iPad with no bezel will be completely awful to use and makes no sense. iPad is never going to fit in the pocket and needs a bezel so it can be lifted/held.
It has touch rejection technology. Maybe they've perfected it.
[doublepost=1489518712][/doublepost]
iPads are supplementary devices. You typically can't do everything you need to with them and require an actually desktop or laptop.

Bring on the Macs. These are the core devices that are the centre of the Apple ecosystem. Apple has lost sight of this.
Actually the phone and icloud is what brings the experience together.

HJM.NL

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2016
Netherlands
What more can be offered on an iPad. Especially an ipad you can't use as a mass storage device
It should replace our Macs, according to Cook. It's the future of computing. Well mr. Cook, why can't it do at least the same thing or better than my 2009 iMac I keep for back up? Is this the reason you don't update Mac hardware in the hope you might eventually replace it with an iPad? Sigh :(

newtestleper

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2013
Split screen multitasking, PIP video. What else do you need? Sounds like a MS Surface would suit you just fine.

Please describe what exactly an iPad centric OS would be? (Without describing a surface or a laptop) ....GO!

An MS Surface is on my wishlist for when the price returns from outer space.

As for your question, it was repeated in this thread from last year. The crux of it being the icon spacing and other "real estate" shortcomings. I haven't used an iPad for a couple of years, so the basis of my gripes have become a little hazy.

Someone always pipes up asking me to put on paper what I want to see, then gets defensive when they see people liking my comment and agreeing with me. There was even a poll about this very topic.

bingeciren

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
What the + aspects of this!?
The plus aspect is enlargening the display size without increasing the overall size of the device in question.

However, an entirely bezelless iPad is not all that practical if you hold it in your hand because you inevitably block a portion of the display.

We'll see how successful this concept is when it comes out.

philosopherdog

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2008
I like the sounds of the new 10.5 inch pro. I might go for it. Currently using the Air 2 which is a really nice machine but 64 GB is too small for my use these days.

yoxxer

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2017
I agree.

It's going to be ridiculous decission releasing a bezel free 10.5 inch and then the usual bezel 12.9 inch iPad's. I could have understood (but not agreed) if the 12.9 inch version was going to be bezel free (as that's what the largest screen next generation iPhone is increasingly looking like it's going to be)

If the iPad's are getting refreshed, why not give all the new iPad's a new bezel free design. The iPad's haven't seen a redesign in a long while, so they are all due a redesign.

Bezel free - will look good, like the other Apple things. But how are we supposed to hold these devices? I have trouble holding an Air 2 for a longer period while reading in bed. You just have to balance it and get a grip somehow with your fingertips. Gives me cramps..

LotusLord

macrumors 6502a
iPad is an entertainment machine, I never saw a person use it for work in my circle.
We have approximately 300 of them out throughout the state of Wisconsin every day, used to lookup product and enter sales orders as well as email, (limited) spreadsheet manipulation, presentations to customers. We came from Panasonic Toughbooks, and HP convertible tablets prior, and the iPads have been more reliable, last longer on a charge, and much easier to use for our staff. Obviously this won't be the case for everyone, but it's not at all uncommon in the beverage industry.

Reactions: motulist and brendu

cibonak

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2014
Montreal
The plus aspect is enlargening the display size without increasing the overall size of the device in question.

However, an entirely bezelless iPad is not all that practical if you hold it in your hand because you inevitably block a portion of the display.

We'll see how successful this concept is when it comes out.
Youll need a cover to protect the ipad... Few people use ipads without cover

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
I'm sure there will be finger/palm rejection technology so that you can hold it on the edges.
[doublepost=1489511317][/doublepost]

Again, if it is indeed bezel-less, Apple will use finger/palm rejection technology. The benefit of removing the bezel is that you can have a larger screen in a smaller package. I'd think that'd be a welcome feature.
Hope you are right if Apple is indeed going to remove bezels from devices. I guess Apple Pencil users are happy with the palm rejection but that is a different beast from inadvertent touches because there is nowhere to hold the iPad.

DCJ001

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
Microsoft Office 365 IS FREE when used on a device with less than 10" display. Right now, I'm using a fully functional Office 365 on my 9.7" iPad.

Office 365 will need subscription on new 10" iPads. Do people realize that?

I use Office apps on my 12.9" iPad Pro without paying for a subscription.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
… while we wait for the Macs.

Yeah it's really not hard to see where apple's priorities are these days. The Mac desktop will get updated but less and less frequently until someday it just goes away. The writing is on the wall. I just hope this year brings massive iOS for iPad improvements since Apple considers it their computer for the masses.

Reactions: HJM.NL and joy.757

myrhillion

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2012
For most of us, hardware is not the issue....
But it's nice to see some new iPads I guess :D

well.. hardware is an issue for a lot of us. Really hating their refresh cycles lately..

Screen Shot 2017-03-14 at 7.28.39 PM.png

Reactions: Demo Kit and HJM.NL

mac_in_tosh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2016
Earth
Reading this story I am reminded of a scene in A Few Good Men where Col. Jessup says: "Now, are these the questions I was really called here to answer? Phone calls and foot lockers? Please tell me that you have something more, Lieutenant."

So this is what's going to be revealed at the early April event, a different size iPad and a thinner bezel? Please tell me that you have something more, Apple.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Teacher don't use iPads anymore. It's Windows and chromebooks. I'm curious what the target audience for the iPads will be. Without any software improvements and poor handling of files it's a very expensive internet device.

You don't know me very well then.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
So, you have models, then Apple fills the gap with slighter smaller models with same features at the big brother..

I would have thought that would have made things more complicated when deciding which to get, not simpler... More choice i suppose. Still, i'll be watching on the edge of my bed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.