Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
Look at it this way:

People who buy Apple are buying Apple because they are buying Apple. It doesn't matter what Apple offers, because people who are buying Apple will buy Apple.

So, if you are Apple, if you put the latest expensive everything in the computer, you don't gain more customers, because the only customers you had would have bought Apple anyway.

Or, you can keep using cheap parts, and keep selling record numbers of Macs, because your customers have no choice - they either want to buy Apple or they don't.

It makes great business sense for them to NOT have the latest greatest everything, because they simply aren't competing with the latest and greatest. Those that care for the latest and greatest will always choose PC because you can get more late and great for your $$. Everyone else either is buying on price or is buying for a business or is buying Apple.

What does Apple care? They are having record sales.

theorchidchild

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2010
You're seriously deluding yourself.

Ask anyone of your video editing or professional photographer friends you know (under the age of 50) if they know about the i7 and blu rays.

They sure as hell know about the i5 and i7 processors and blu ray burners. Hell, they'll probably go off on some rant about how much raw video they can store with a blu ray burner.

This isn't some exclusive knowledge that you have read engadget daily to know about.

People have been writing about and talking about the i5 and i7 and blu rays for 2+ years now.

If you spend more than an hour on cnet and gadget blogs per month (even if you're just there to read up on the latest camera lenses), you will have heard about the i7 processors and blu ray drives and how big of a leap they are technologically.

most things arent exclusive knowledge, but people still dont know. but oh well, no point arguing this, since neither of us has statistical evidence of it.

also, 2+ years? the i5/i7 have only been out for a year, no? and the mobile versions are even newer.

bluray is just icky to me, but i dont want to go off topic.

6-0 Prolene

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2010
There's a surprising amount of negative mindshare around this subject.

And it'll only continue after the update... Core i5/i7 won't be THAT much faster than the high-end C2Ds available now and the complaints will fly about how Apple didn't do enough, it wasn't worth the wait, etc. etc.

6-0 Prolene

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2010
Honestly, anyone who buys a Macbook doesn't care about the specs.

Agreed. And I think this'll be true with the Core i5/i7 models too. There'll always be something faster and cheaper.

Now if only having the most horsepower guaranteed the best ride...

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
And it'll only continue after the update... Core i5/i7 won't be THAT much faster than the high-end C2Ds available now and the complaints will fly about how Apple didn't do enough, it wasn't worth the wait, etc. etc.
I want the extra threads, Turbo Boost, and the low BOM from a 2 chip system. Only Intel really benefits from that last one but seeing a northbridge on a computer screams obsolescence to me.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
ayeying, even if you're right. Are you seriously saying that Professionals don't care about specs?

You don't think it matters to video editors and such whether the laptop offers an outdated weak performing processor, a horribly outdated GPU or a blu ray burner?

Most professionals ARE techies. They know about the i5 and i7 processors and the performance gains they offer. They know how outdated the GPU is. And they certainly know what blu ray is and how much data it is capable of storing.

You know why they don't care about specs? They care about their creation. Their work. Why would they stress over specs when their creation is vastly more important. Their creation is their reputation. Their legacy. Regardless how small or big time professional you are, the work matters.

You really think Video Editors care if there's an i5 or Core 2 Duo in their system? Has the video editing world come to an end just because Apple won't come out with a i5/i7? You assume that Apple has to come out with these products then video production would continue. Have you forgotten that many video producers are doing it fine on their pre-unibody MacBook Pros or 8-Core 2.8GHz Xeon processors on their Mac Pro? Sure new products are usually better and faster, but if its working for them right now, they're in no rush.

Most professionals, especially photographers are NOT techies. You might know photographers who are techies but that doesn't mean all of them are. My photography teacher had no clue how to use a computer but he was an expert in Aperture. Care to explain that? He runs Aperture on a PowerBook without complaints.

Look. The real noise that's coming from for these MBP updates are techies and nerds (No insult intended). They care about the specs and how it has to be the best or whatnot. The real professionals in the field don't give a crap. If something new comes out, new feature, sure they'll go for it but they're not waiting on the edge of their seats waiting for an update like their life depends on it. Their life doesn't depend on what CPU/GPU their computer has, it depends on their work.

bloody

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2007
I bet half the people here don't even need the extra horsepower from the core i5 and i7. like honestly. You guys cant expect me to believe that everyone here is into photography and video editing.

InfoSecmgr

Dec 31, 2009
Ypsilanti, Michigan
Honestly, many of the Apple customers don't know crap about specs or whats better and whats not.

Unless you're a techie, they don't care.

And most techies are just spec-whores who want to show off their octocore Mac Pro....:rolleyes:

Seriously, in retrospect my single CPU 1.6GHz G5 would still be just fine for what I do today.

InfoSecmgr

Dec 31, 2009
Ypsilanti, Michigan
I bet half the people here don't even need the extra horsepower from the core i5 and i7. like honestly. You guys cant expect me to believe that everyone here is into photography and video editing.

SHOCKING, could this be...someone who has their eyes open? I think you pretty well nailed it there. Look, I'm not saying that most everyone could get along with some P-4 based PC or a G5 based Mac...er wait a minute. Yes that IS what I'm saying.

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
You need to stop using crack altogether. Of course they don't match up to CURRENT Intel processors, considering in some cases you're talking about decade old processors.

But at the time of their release, yes the G1, G2, G3 and G4 consistently outperformed anything Intel had to offer at the time.
I am well aware of what you said and what I said. You are still WRONG. Go learn some computer history.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
That article cited by the OP was a lot of Hooey. Clearly someone who doesn't use a Mac. Not only that he should know better than to spout nonsense like this:

"There's even a scientific law, Moore's Law, which basically states that processors will double in speed (it actually refers to transistor count, but speed is a direct correlation) every 18 months to two years."

Yes, transistor counts are going up but clock speeds have stalled out. Clever architecture is making up for some of that, but you don't see CPU throughput doubling every 18 months or so.

Then he drags out this old canard:
"We all know that Apple charges a hefty premium for its products, but the unwavering high prices of its aging product line are becoming more and more outrageous."

No, actually we don't all know that.

Also interesting how he contradicts himself even in the same paragraph:
"In other words, faster RAM is better. ... Fortunately, the performance increases from faster RAM are only marginal".
So he knocks Apple for not having cutting edge RAM then backtracks and says it doesn't make much difference. Which is it?

This is another case of a techie guy bashing Apple products because they don't understand Apple design. They continually go off about how iPods don't have enough GBs or don't decode enough formats, or how the iPhone is a failure because it doesn't do multi-tasking. Then they get in a lather when customers don't listen to them and buy Apple products anyway.

If CPU clock speed and GPU polygon stats get you off then get an Alienware laptop. Knock yourself out. If I have real work to do I want a machine that works, that is balanced with a good display, good keyboard, and good internals.

Steve had an interesting slide in his last presentation:
This goes a long way to explaining why the guys fascinated with clock speeds don't get Apple.

(Sorry if I sound a little cranky, I've been putting in long hours this week.)

Attachments

• signs.jpg
    signs.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 84

Law213

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2010
It isn't just art guys and video editors. I'm sure that the vast majority of Mac users are not video editors. How many freaking video editors are there, truly, in this world, making their living editing video?

Specs matter to a wide array of people. They matter to me, a law student and a non-techie. Like lots of people here I just don't want to pay premium money for outdated specs. Hell, I don't really want outdated specs at all. Not out of need, but out of desire. Still, though I care about specs when I buy a TV, car, house, computer, whatever I buy.

But besides the art world, I take great issue with the person stating that "anyone buying an MBP doesn't care about specs." I have 2 friends in architecture programs (one at an ivy league school and one at a school out west) who both own MBPs, are neither techies, are both ultimately concerned with specs. They both also own Mac Pros costing more than my wife's car, and use their MBPs in their studio/lab when they aren't at home. Rendering on his old MBP took 2hrs for some projects. Any spec bumps that can decrease that time will certainly be noticed. For the record, the kid at the ivy league school tells me that every single student in his program is exclusively Mac, they all have multiple computers and all upgrade constantly whenever they can. In addition, they are all either waiting for new mac pros or new MBPs.

Bottom line isn't and never was "do people care about specs" the bottom line is that Apple should, and should care enough about that portion of their customer base that cares as well. Money wise, their fine, screw us, they certainly don't need us to make money. But, to Think Different did not always mean Think Bottomline

theorchidchild

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2010
That article cited by the OP was a lot of Hooey. Clearly someone who doesn't use a Mac. Not only that he should know better than to spout nonsense like this:

"There's even a scientific law, Moore's Law, which basically states that processors will double in speed (it actually refers to transistor count, but speed is a direct correlation) every 18 months to two years."

Yes, transistor counts are going up but clock speeds have stalled out. Clever architecture is making up for some of that, but you don't see CPU throughput doubling every 18 months or so.

Then he drags out this old canard:
"We all know that Apple charges a hefty premium for its products, but the unwavering high prices of its aging product line are becoming more and more outrageous."

No, actually we don't all know that.

This is another case of a techie guy bashing Apple products because they don't understand Apple design. They continually go off about how iPods don't have enough GBs or don't decode enough formats, or how the iPhone is a failure because it doesn't do multi-tasking. Then they get in a lather when customers don't listen to them and buy Apple products anyway.

If CPU clock speed and GPU polygon stats get you off then get an Alienware laptop. Knock yourself out. If I have real work to do I want a machine that works, that is balanced with a good display, good keyboard, and good internals.

Steve had an interesting slide in his last presentation:
This goes a long way to explaining why the guys fascinated with clock speeds don't get Apple.

(Sorry if I sound a little cranky, I've been putting in long hours this week.)

THANK YOU! :)

CP123

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2008
I've been in and around the music industry for the last 14 years. The vast majority of producers, engineers, writers, artists, etc. have Macs. It is the computer of choice in the music industry. You go into a session today, and you will see in the studio: a Mac Pro, an iMac, and about everyone with a MBP. I can tell you most don't care about the specs you are talking about. They care about memory and hard drive.

CP123

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2008
It isn't just art guys and video editors. I'm sure that the vast majority of Mac users are not video editors. How many freaking video editors are there, truly, in this world, making their living editing video?

Specs matter to a wide array of people. They matter to me, a law student and a non-techie. Like lots of people here I just don't want to pay premium money for outdated specs. Hell, I don't really want outdated specs at all. Not out of need, but out of desire. Still, though I care about specs when I buy a TV, car, house, computer, whatever I buy.

But besides the art world, I take great issue with the person stating that "anyone buying an MBP doesn't care about specs." I have 2 friends in architecture programs (one at an ivy league school and one at a school out west) who both own MBPs, are neither techies, are both ultimately concerned with specs. They both also own Mac Pros costing more than my wife's car, and use their MBPs in their studio/lab when they aren't at home. Rendering on his old MBP took 2hrs for some projects. Any spec bumps that can decrease that time will certainly be noticed. For the record, the kid at the ivy league school tells me that every single student in his program is exclusively Mac, they all have multiple computers and all upgrade constantly whenever they can. In addition, they are all either waiting for new mac pros or new MBPs.

Bottom line isn't and never was "do people care about specs" the bottom line is that Apple should, and should care enough about that portion of their customer base that cares as well. Money wise, their fine, screw us, they certainly don't need us to make money. But, to Think Different did not always mean Think Bottomline

People don't care about the specs that some of you are talking about. They care about memory and the size of the hard drive. All this other stuff about i5/i7, GPU, etc., most people couldn't tell you what it means or what it does. Nor do they care.

The bottom line is, if you're not happy with Apple, don't buy their products. What is wrong with some of you guys?

Law213

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2010
People don't care about the specs that some of you are talking about. They care about memory and the size of the hard drive. All this other stuff about i5/i7, GPU, etc., most people couldn't tell you what it means or what it does. Nor do they care.

The bottom line is, if you're not happy with Apple, don't buy their products. What is wrong with some of you guys?

Memory and hard drive are specs. So are processors. I agree with the article as far as its ideas about Apple hardware goes. BUT:

The article fails to mention or take into account at all, that although the premium price doesn't get you premium hardware, it could/does get a premium experience overall. There is no doubt that a Mac experience has been, at least in the last 5 years, far superior to a PC experience.

My problem with Apple, and it isn't a problem so much as an expression of my exasperation with waiting for a new MBP, is that they are letting the PC world creep closer and closer, with no response. They set a high bar, and are letting the crowd find their way to the bar (windows 7, better specs, improved customer service....etc.) It is time for Apple to move ahead again and, like the hare take the big lead before resting on laurels and calling it innovation. Innovation is only innovation once. The tortoise has caught up and the hare needs to extend the lead again. Luckily, this race doesn't end...

CP123

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2008
Memory and hard drive are specs.

I know they are specs. Those are the specs most people care about. If the MBP's update was only a bump in memory, hard drive, and processor speed, some people on this forum will lose their mind. However, a lot of people would be happy and go out and buy the MBP, with its modest upgrade.

I read somewhere that 90% of all computers over a $1,000 sold, are Macs. I think some of the specs spoken about here, by themselves, are overrated. If Sony, HP, Dell, etc. were able to offer OS X, then the specs may matter. However, they don't. Most people who get Macs, just love the simplicity of the experience. Not to mention they are very good machines.

ippikiokami

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2010
If you are a working professional who does video or photo (unless you are part of the elite few that can totally set their calendar and turn around time)...

Faster specs = Quicker turn around.
And of course
Time = Money

I don't see how any of you guys can say it doesn't benefit them

The ones that it doesn't really benefit are the ones that use standard office tools or just surf the net. But if you are creating any sort of media in any type of capacity the time savings build up.

ronjon10

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2009
If you're a working pro, you're should be using a Mac Pro, and therefore should be whining about how outdated those are in the other forum.

If you are a working professional who does video or photo (unless you are part of the elite few that can totally set their calendar and turn around time)...

ippikiokami

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2010
Yes because everyone has the money to pay that much for a computer.

And no one should expect more for some of the cheaper options. Or is it wrong for someone to expect more out of apple? A leader in the video creation industry?

BTW you can't carry a macpro around when you are traveling very easy.

Also.. are you saying Mac laptops are unfit for professionals?

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
There's even a scientific law, Moore's Law, which basically states that processors will double in speed (it actually refers to transistor count, but speed is a direct correlation) every 18 months to two years.

WTF!?!!?!?!

I had to stop reading at that sentence. Two egregious errors in one sentence from a self-proclaimed guru.

Buh Bye

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.