Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's flagship store on Fifth Avenue in Manhattan will include a "very unique area" for broadcasting its Beats 1 radio station, as part of ongoing renovations, according to a person familiar with the matter. This particular source has provided MacRumors with reliable information in the past.

apple-fifth-avenue-800x400.jpg
Apple's iconic Fifth Avenue store in New York City

The person did not share any further details, but it's possible that Ebro Darden, one of three Beats 1 radio anchors, could broadcast at least some of his shows at the Fifth Avenue store once it reopens. Currently, he appears to broadcast from a studio in the Chelsea neighborhood of Manhattan.

Apple Fifth Avenue, known for its iconic glass cube entrance, has been closed for renovations since January 20. The redesigned store will reportedly have over twice as much square footage, so there will likely be more than enough space for a dedicated Beats 1 broadcasting booth alongside the sales floor.

Ebro-Darden-800x497.jpg
Beats 1 radio anchor Ebro Darden, based in New York City

Beats 1 is Apple's internet-based radio station, broadcasted around the clock in over 100 countries around the world. It launched in tandem with Apple Music in June 2015. In addition to Darden, the station is anchored by former BBC Radio 1 host Zane Lowe, based out of Los Angeles, and London's Julie Adenuga.

Apple Music executive Larry Jackson recently described Beats 1 as "the biggest radio station in the world," and he claimed there is no other station in existence that has as many concurrent listeners at any given time.

Beats 1 can be listened to through iTunes on Mac or PC, or in the Apple Music app on iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, and Apple Watch. Listening is free, with no Apple Music subscription required.

Apple has not indicated when its Fifth Avenue store will reopen, but renovations are likely to continue for several months. In addition to more space and a Beats 1 broadcasting area, the store will likely feature Apple's next-generation retail layout, in line with stores in Brooklyn, Brussels, Paris, San Francisco, and elsewhere.

Article Link: Apple Said to Add Beats 1 Broadcasting Booth to Iconic Fifth Avenue Store in New York City

Last edited:

Joe Rossignol

Senior Reporter
Staff member
May 12, 2012
Canada
Thank god we'll have a Beats 1 broadcasting booth at least a year before a new Mac Pro. Apple sure has their priorities straight.
Apple has over 100,000 employees around the world. Are they all supposed to be working on the Mac Pro?

I understand the sarcasm, but you can't expect Apple to drop everything else they're working on until the modular Mac Pro is ready.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Apple has over 100,000 employees around the world. Are they all supposed to be working on the Mac Pro?

I understand the sarcasm, but you can't expect Apple to drop everything else they're working on until the modular Mac Pro is ready.
Yeah, of course it's not the same people who'd be working on it. And if they want the Beats studio, fine, I don't think it will make much difference, but it won't hurt them much either.

But it's frustrating that apparently someone at Apple realized they needed a new radio studio before someone else at Apple realized they needed a new Mac Pro.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
If this happens, may it be at select hours so I know when not to shop at this store. I like to test out the speakers on Apple products with content I have or will purchase from iTunes and be able to hear it.

Nothing chases me out of a store faster than music blaring on all cylinders.

I happen to prefer the temporary set up for the 5th Avenue store too. Never thought I'd say that, but even at peak hours I was able to move freely in and around the phones and laptops unlike the original store. Double the space hopefully means this will be the case in the revamped original location.

jasonklee

Suspended
Dec 7, 2007
What the hell is this crap?

Remember when Apple was a great computer company? It's getting harder and harder to remember Apple's former greatness as the Tim Cook regime marches on.

I laughed and laughed and laughed heartily and mightily and said the same exact thing when Apple showed off the iPod. That's when Apple stopped being a computer company and became a toy company to me. Didn't take long after for Jobs to drop Computer from Apple Computer.

Apple hasn't made a real computer in decades.

Munch

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2006

Remember when Apple was a great computer company? It's getting harder and harder to remember Apple's former greatness as the Tim Cook regime marches on.

The reason Apple is still a company is because it's no longer just a computer company. I don't understand why there's a segment of folks who think companies should do one thing and one thing only.

Hey does anyone remember when Nintendo was a great playing cards company?

Queen6

macrumors G4
Who cares Apple needs to get back to it's roots Deliver amazing products, then and only then will we look to Apple's services. Fix the computing line, stop "penny pinching" we have had enough and then some...

Q-6
[doublepost=1491764421][/doublepost]

Sorry I work with companies that can fast prototype complex engineering projects in a matter of months, yet Apple with all it's vast resources is going to take two years to realise a desktop computing solution? Sheer nonsense, actually it's BS at the highest level, and insulting to Apple's professorial customers...

Q-6

Last edited:

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany

It will be so lovely to watch some DJs doing their job pressing left click to launch titles and talk gossip on air whilst I navigate a place that will have underwent a long redesign process to better display their lack of commitment to what made them great.

Ah, can't wait to see the new Apple Store at 5th Ave whilst I STILL struggle to find a new solution to replace Aperture, especially now as a new format of photos adds to the mix of things the new DAM has to support: Live Photos, which by the way ARE a great idea, thanks Apple for adopting that, no sarcasm intended here.

It's amazing how some pictures come to live so much better, especially when you do casual travel photography and can't always take the time to get out a monopod to capture the motion in a scene using a longer exposure time.
Especially when moving in a group and you can't dictate the pace of your daily running around.

Glassed Silver:win

Reactions: WWPD and 5105973

UltimaKilo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
FL
The reason Apple is still a company is because it's no longer just a computer company. I don't understand why there's a segment of folks who think companies should do one thing and one thing only.

Exactly. Had it not been for the iPod and later, the iPhone / iPad, Apple would probably not exist.

Although, I'd still love to see Apple attempt to take over 10% of the PC market-share, I understand the importance of its services, phone, tablet, accessories, TV and watch business.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Who cares Apple needs to get back to it's roots Deliver amazing products, then and only then will we look to Apple's services. Fix the computing line, stop "penny pinching" we have had enough and then some...

Q-6
[doublepost=1491764421][/doublepost]

Sorry I work with companies that can fast prototype complex engineering projects in a matter of months, yet Apple with all it's vast resources is going to take two years to realise a desktop computing solution? Sheer nonsense, actually it's BS at the highest level, and insulting to Apple's professorial customers...

Q-6
yes if you have all the components available to test different forms etc...i think for months QA is a must, so 1 year is a must to have a polished and workout product

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008

Yeah, they had the best playing cards this side of the moon. Look at them now, left in the dust by De La Rue and Biermans.

Remember when Topps made great chewing gums? They should have sticked with that business. Look at them now, selling paper trading cards around the world...

Reactions: TechGeek76

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
So will the DJs be doing custom mixes with their Touch Bar? Ha. Ha. Truly, I liked Apple when it was cool because of its products not its gimmicks like a live in-house DJ. It just seems Apple is losing its way.

Last edited:

haydn!

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
UK
Is this what the next 18-24 months is going to be like?

News Headline = "Apple does something completely unrelated to Mac Pro, but is great for their business none the less"

MacRumor's Members Response = Jesus Apple, how dare you work on anything else until you deliver that new Mac Pro that 95% of the people complaining about its delay have no actual intention of buying it anyway.

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida

Well said!
Since the introduction of the iPod, if you add up all the iPods, iPhones, iPads, etc. that I've purchased (somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 devices over the years... most for me; a few as gifts), that's a factor of 10 times more than the 3 computers I purchased for myself over that same period of time.
Even though the price of those computers (they were all Apple) were far higher than any one "companion" product; all told, they made substantially more off of iDevice purchases, & didn't lose out on my computer sales either.... as a matter of fact; the close integration between them all added value to each of the purchases & made selection of their brand, all but assured.
Anyone that can't see that adding more accessible & less expensive portable computing devices to their stable, then increasing their mobility and utility over time- was a MAGNIFICENT idea is being willfully obtuse, imo.

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
I always feel such "Fremdschämen" secondhand embarrassment for those poor DJs having to "perform" in front of customers at shopping "vanues" who just want to be left alone shopping. Poor guy

Queen6

macrumors G4
yes if you have all the components available to test different forms etc...i think for months QA is a must, so 1 year is a must to have a polished and workout product

Such companies do this from "scratch" Apple is simply buying time, in the hope to retain the professional audience, more importantly for Apple the follow though from the general consumer. Apple needs to stop talking and delver nothing more, nothing less; no more Pipelines, no more amazing products coming, DELIVER plain and simple.

I don't want to see another Keynote compromising of empty consumer based products, I want action, I want professional solutions, I want new product available the day of release. I am sick and tired of Tim Cook's Apple. Frankly too late, we have switched platforms, nor do we have any great issue, Apple's loss, competitors their gain...

Q-6

Last edited:
Reactions: MH01 and nvmls

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I always feel such "Fremdschämen" secondhand embarrassment for those poor DJs having to "perform" in front of customers at shopping "vanues" who just want to be left alone shopping. Poor guy

I'm just the opposite. The DJ is a performer. He likes being the center of attention. I feel bad for the shoppers who just want to shop in peace without being audibly molested by harsh rap or electronica that requires a MDMA and RedBull cocktail to enjoy.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.

I bet Apple can prototype desktop computers in a few months too. So, you really would be interested in buying prototypes?

Reactions: doelcm82 and haydn!

haydn!

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
UK

I don't see this being a 'DJ playing to the shoppers in the store' but rather an actual radio studio in store, with some kind of window onto the shop floor.

Allowing shoppers an insight into the live broadcast. No different really to the countless TV shows that broadcast live from studios in central New York and have street side windows looking right into the studio.

McFlyOz

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2015
Key Largo
Is this what the next 18-24 months is going to be like?

News Headline = "Apple does something completely unrelated to Mac Pro, but is great for their business none the less"

MacRumor's Members Response = Jesus Apple, how dare you work on anything else until you deliver that new Mac Pro that 95% of the people complaining about its delay have no actual intention of buying it anyway.

I would change the Mac Pro part to Mac in general. I find this as something I don't personally care about but it might be fun for other people who enjoy abit of DJ voyuerism and will watch whoever is behind the desk.

I love all the folks talking about how Apple was a computer company and saying how it isn't. What about other companies that expanded themselves and branched out into other products like Google going from a search engine or Amazon from a marketplace? The good old fanboys who wish they could invent a time machine, get Uncle Jobs back and have him going nuts at everyone... WAIT! Didn't he invent the iPod? That's not a computer... What about the iPhone? Oooooohhhh noooo... He cannot save Apple, either!

Reactions: haydn!
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.