Apple Said to Debut Three Glass-Backed iPhone 8 Models, Including New 5-Inch Size, in 2017

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 26, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple is working on three new iPhone 8 models to be released in 2017, all of which will include glass-backed bodies, reports Japanese news site Nikkei. Previous rumors have also pointed towards three iPhone 8 models, but past information suggested that Apple would release one "premium" glass-backed model with an OLED display and two "standard" aluminum models rather than three models with a glass body.

Citing a supply chain source, Nikkei says Apple will release the three iPhones in the following sizes: 5.5 inches, 5 inches, and 4.7 inches. The site still believes one premium model with a curved edge-to-edge OLED display will be sold alongside two models that have standard LCD displays.

[​IMG]
    Edge-to-edge iPhone concept image via ConceptsiPhone
    All three iPhone 8 models will use glass supplied by Biel Crystal Manufactory and Lens Technology in China for both the front and back, which will be held together with an aluminum frame. Foxconn has been working on glass backs, but Biel is said to have the technological edge.

Because it is early in the development cycle, Nikkei warns that Apple's plans could still change and it could decide to scrap plans to offer three devices. In 2016, early iPhone 7 rumors also pointed towards three devices, including one 4.7-inch iPhone and two 5.5-inch models, one with dual cameras and one with a single camera. The single camera model was reportedly scrapped six months ahead of the iPhone 7's launch.

Rumors suggest Apple is planning on introducing significant design changes in the iPhone set to be released in 2017. Along with an edge-to-edge display that includes built-in Touch ID and other sensors, the device is said to include no Home button, advanced biometric features, an improved Taptic engine, and wireless charging.

Article Link: Apple Said to Debut Three Glass-Backed iPhone 8 Models, Including New 5-Inch Size, in 2017

2. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

If the iphone 8 looks close that concept, I will be throwing my money at them.

3. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

5.5 inches, 5 inches, and 4.7 inches... odd size spacing,

We want a 4" model, too!!!

4. CmdrLaForge macrumors 601

CmdrLaForge

5. amirite macrumors 6502a

Why have an edge-to-edge model alongside "normal" models?

Is edge-to-edge the way forward for the iPhone or not? Stop playing it safe and make a damn design choice, Apple.

6. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

7. Woodcrest64 macrumors 65816

Woodcrest64

Seems a bit much to have three models, especially if you start having 3 or more colour variants.

8. bigred7078 macrumors 6502a

bigred7078

I'll snag that 5" one. Smaller bezels would be icing on the cake :D

9. redheeler macrumors 604

redheeler

I made the right choice by skipping the 7 and waiting for the next one. This should be a decent upgrade.

10. WinstonRumfoord macrumors 6502

As long as it is thinner I'm happy, hopefully they can accomplish this by reducing battery capacity.

11. H2SO4 macrumors 601

Me too. That looks great, even better than the Xiamoiioueea or what ever it’s called.

12. Ishayu macrumors regular

Ishayu

Troll detected.

13. H2SO4 macrumors 601

……and removing ports.

14. yaxomoxay macrumors 68030

yaxomoxay

All glass?
    My face when I drop it and in my head I see the whole thing in slow-motion:

[​IMG]

15. Rob_2811 macrumors 68000

Absolutely. Its tradition :D

16. Thanatoast macrumors 65816

Thanatoast

If they're going to have three sizes they should make one iPhone SE sized. You'd think edge-to-edge glass would make a smaller form factor more useful.

17. meaning-matters, Oct 26, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2016

meaning-matters macrumors 6502

meaning-matters

Well, 4.7" edge-to-edge would be smaller than the 4" iPhone 5x/SE (which is roughly 5.4" diagonally).

18. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Don't worry too much about random "rumors" a year early.

19. paulryp macrumors regular

I got a Samsung S7 edge as i was safe in the knowledge that it is better NOW than anything apple bring out Next year.

20. SethBoy macrumors regular

Skip next year's iPhone too. I hear the 2018 one would be much better.

21. DrumApple macrumors 6502a

They should focus on making their phones holdable again, without using a case. Enough with the bar soap slippery materials. And thin isn't everything (as Barbie found out), it's a fact that there is an optimum thickness to holding something in the human hand. Which is why the SE sells well and is the most comfortable for most people.

22. needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

they should include snaps of the device in the next iOS beta

23. Googlyhead macrumors 6502

It all depends how they measure the size: if it's a full surface borderless display; the smaller one could be quite decent (just not ideal).
    On the other hand; if they have a similar layout to the existing products, and are just quoting the screen size; then they're all quite bulky phablet types.

24. zedsdead macrumors 68040

Already back to the iPhone. Lol. After Thursday we won't have another Mac rumor for like a year.

As for a 5" model, I like the idea, just like I like the 10.5" iPad rumor. Seems like the perfect size for both products for me.