Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple experienced "strong double digit growth" in the number of iPhone users who were upgrading an older device or swapping to an iPhone from an Android device, Apple CEO Tim Cook said during today's earnings call covering the third fiscal quarter of 2021.

iphone12-lineup-wide.jpg

Cook said that it was the largest upgrade quarter for Q3 ever, and that the iPhone 12 upgrade cycle on the whole was "very strong." Sales of the iPhone 12 Pro and the iPhone 12 Pro Max were "particularly strong."

Going forward, Cook said that Apple feels "really good" about the future of the iPhone because 5G penetration remains "very low" and there's a lot of opportunity for sales growth in the 5G market. "We're in the very early innings of 5G," Cook said. "There are only a couple countries that are in the double digits."

The high number of new iPhone users and iPhone users upgrading to new models drove record sales momentum, with the iPhone ultimately bringing in $39.6 billion during the quarter.

Article Link: Apple Saw Double Digit Growth in iPhone Upgraders and Switchers in Q3 2021

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Going forward, Cook said that Apple feels "really good" about the future of the iPhone because 5G penetration remains "very low" and there's a lot of opportunity for sales growth in the 5G market. "We're in the very early innings of 5G," Cook said. "There are only a couple countries that are in the double digits."

Remember when the common consensus a few years back was that Apple was late to the 5g party?

Once again, a whole bunch of nothing but empty vessels.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Remember when the common consensus a few years back was that Apple was late to the 5g party?

Once again, a whole bunch of nothing but empty vessels.

Apple wrote a $4.5 billion check to Qualcomm and signed a multi-year agreement to stay on schedule.

Keep in mind in 2019, it was clear Intel wouldn't have a first gen 5G modem ready until 2021. The consensus was if Apple stayed with Intel, they would be late. That proved to be true.

Reactions: Jovijoker

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Just goes to show you Steve Jobs genius with regards to Apples walled garden. This has everything to do with the integration of things like the Apple Watch and App Store and has very little to do with the iPhone being the ‘best phone’ on the market.
You got something there. Buying iPhone now is not only buying iPhone anymore. You also buy a chance to buy Apple Watch, AirPods or AirTag etc.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Your obsession with Android isn't healthy.
Not obsession, 100% honest truth, s21 ultra with 2000000gb ram, still has a slow camera with shutter lag, even with 120hz, the phone still lags. ?% truth. ?‍♂️

If you want to charge apple prices, you need to meet and match their excellent software, hardware and customer support/service.

Gimmicks alone won’t cut it.

RedRage

Suspended
Jan 18, 2021
Not obsession, 100% honest truth, s21 ultra with 2000000gb ram, still has a slow camera with shutter lag, even with 120hz, the phone still lags. ?% truth. ?‍♂️

If you want to charge apple prices, you need to meet and match their excellent software, hardware and customer support/service.

Weren't you the guy complaining about your green screen?

lyunmac

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2011
I added a 12 mini to my collection so now I use the mini and my Note 20 Ultra. I like iOS and seems a bit more polished but I tried downloading a video from Google Drive to my iphone so I can edit and upload to Instagram and I can't save to it to my phone so that Instagram can upload. Is this due to the sandboxing of the apps? Can't believe I can't do something so simple that I took for granted on Android. I still like both OS as they each have their merits so I have no problem switching back and forth.

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
You’ll be back in 2 weeks, by then the bloat, fragmentation and lag would’ve kicked in, we’ll be here to welcome you back with open arms. ??
and if that doesn't do it, every time he says something and the android shoots you an AD
about what you were just talking about...no thanks. To me the Iphone is the better phone
regardless of it lagging the androids in gimmicks.

PC_tech

Suspended
Jan 17, 2019

Who's truth? Yours? Contrary to what you believe, think, people like Samsung and continue to use them with no issues??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.