Apple Saw No Change in iPad Sales Following Kindle Fire Introduction

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I feel bad for Android tablet manufacturers. The "killer" Tegra 3 looks to be headed the same way as the Tegra 2: Death at the hands of the next A# series chipset. The Tegra 3 is about 2.08% faster than the Apple A5 in processing power tests. The T3 is about 2.38X slower than the A5 in the GLBenchmark Texture Fetch test. The T3 is about 24% faster than the A5 in the GLBenchmark Egypt test. All of which is slightly depressing, because iOS needs much less processing power than Android (I've tried a Galaxy Nexus - ICS STILL lags). I can't wait to see what the A6 will bring, but it will undoubtably crush the Tegra 3 as the A5 crushed the Tegra 2.
Just going to point out the lag is due to how the os handles ui elements. Apple puts it at real time requirement which means other task get paused while the gui is being used. Android works like a desktop OS and that is that it is only at normal priority.
Long term the choice will be a non issue as tablets get more powerful it not going to matter and honestly will work out to be a better choice.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
no surprise. apple doesnt go after low-quality, price-conscious, walmart-loving consumers
Very classy.

Is it necessary for us to address you as Your Majesty, or will Sir do.

Speaking for all us low quality people....nah, I don't want to get a warning letter for telling you what I think of your post. Not worth it.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
Kindle Fire is only on sale in one country - once it is available in all of Amazon's markets then we will likely see some effect on iPad sales.
If there was strong interest in other markets then you still see a dip in iPad interest with people to choosing to wait or just find a way of getting one from the US.

Then again the media service tied to fire to make it interesting is unlikely to make it to broader markets with the device so that will limit market impact as well. I would have thought Kindle Touch to have more impact.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Regarding the Fire, it's like comparing a Bicycle to a Luxury Car...sure both are modes of transportation that have tires but that's about where the similarities end.

Kindle Fire is only on sale in one country - once it is available in all of Amazon's markets then we will likely see some effect on iPad sales.
Considering by the time it reaches those markets, the iPad 3 will be out. No one is going to want a Kindle Fire if the iPad 2 is $100-$200 within range of it due to the price decrease that is supposedly coming.

We really need to see how many Fires were sold, not produced, and how many were returned.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
I feel bad for Android tablet manufacturers. The "killer" Tegra 3 looks to be headed the same way as the Tegra 2: Death at the hands of the next A# series chipset. The Tegra 3 is about 2.08% faster than the Apple A5 in processing power tests. The T3 is about 2.38X slower than the A5 in the GLBenchmark Texture Fetch test. The T3 is about 24% faster than the A5 in the GLBenchmark Egypt test. All of which is slightly depressing, because iOS needs much less processing power than Android (I've tried a Galaxy Nexus - ICS STILL lags). I can't wait to see what the A6 will bring, but it will undoubtably crush the Tegra 3 as the A5 crushed the Tegra 2.
Looking at Anandtech (who I find pretty reliable for benchmarking), the A5 GPU beat the Tegra 3 GPU in every test:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5163/asus-eee-pad-transformer-prime-nvidia-tegra-3-review/3

Last edited:

blackcrayon

macrumors 68010
Mar 10, 2003
Just going to point out the lag is due to how the os handles ui elements. Apple puts it at real time requirement which means other task get paused while the gui is being used. Android works like a desktop OS and that is that it is only at normal priority.
Long term the choice will be a non issue as tablets get more powerful it not going to matter and honestly will work out to be a better choice.
That isn't true at all.

iOS does not "pause other tasks" while the gui is being used. It's pretty easy to disprove that with Instruments or with UNIX top on a jailbroken device. Even if the iOS UI is at a higher priority, that doesn't mean anything else is "paused" at least not by human perception.

Maybe you're thinking of Mac OS 9 and before? :)

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
The only way to fix that problem is a total rewrite of Android which is not very like anytime soon. Which is a shame, it would be nice to see what its capable of once its more optimized.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
The only way to fix that problem is a total rewrite of Android which is not very like anytime soon. Which is a shame, it would be nice to see what its capable of once its more optimized.
And the question is why make the change as in long term it will be a non issue. It only comes up when the phone or tablet is hit with doing a lot of stuff in the back ground and time goes on it becomes less and less of an issue.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
By the sounds of things a lot has been done for android 4.0 to bring it close to on par but apps need to be rebuilt against the target. Apple still have tricks used in Mac OSX that still haven't been used in iOS as yet.

ios-vs-android-ics-hardware-accelerated-graphics-pipelines/

brogwalkerh

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Yes, I caught that too. That certainly would be a record!

zipster

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2011
People buying a Kindle Fire wanted a tablet but were not really considering the iPad purely because of price.

twalk

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2009
Innovator's Dilemma

Read up about The Innovator's Dilemma. I'm a happy iPad user, but this situation with the Kindle Fire is a pretty much exact fit with the Innovator's Dilemma situation. If Apple allows that kind of situation to play out, then they will have made a really big mistake.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Apple h8trs foiled again! I think they must be related to Wile E. Coyote. Poor chumps. Meep, meep.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
And the question is why make the change as in long term it will be a non issue. It only comes up when the phone or tablet is hit with doing a lot of stuff in the back ground and time goes on it becomes less and less of an issue.
So by Admission of the Android Team it was a problem since they changed it.

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
That's one weakness of Amazon. Kindles are in general pretty week in the international presence and I don't think Amazon makes much through content sales overseas either. Some of the larger potential market for Kindle such as China and Korea are notoriously stingy when it comes to paying for content and piracy is rampant. Thus the Amazon model of selling tablets cheap for the future Amazon content/item sales won't work as well when it comes to the international market.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
The iPad is one-of-a-kind (now that the Xoom died). It doesn't compete with other stuff like the Kindles and HP tablets. The iPad is a super-portable computer, not a tablet.

Dmunjal

macrumors 65832
Jun 20, 2010
Reminds me of NT 4.0 that optimized background tasks instead of the GUI and everyone complained. Though many said it was Microsoft's most stable OS ever. I think they put a switch in Vista to let the user decide.

currentinterest

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2007
When the iPad 2 drops to $399 or $349 with the introduction of the iPad 3 sales will be even better, and the KF will look even less attractive.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
The Fire appeals to a different market. I'm not surprised that it didn't have much effect on iPad sales.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
The iPad is one-of-a-kind (now that the Xoom died). It doesn't compete with other stuff like the Kindles and HP tablets. The iPad is a super-portable computer, not a tablet.
How is it one of a kind? You have the Xoom 2, Asus Transformer and Prime, Galaxy tab 10.1 and 7 in and never mind Toshiba tablet along with others.

Apple tablet market share has been and can only go in one direction as competition is coming out. Apple is running scared as the lawsuits prove.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
How is it one of a kind? You have the Xoom 2, Asus Transformer and Prime, Galaxy tab 10.1 and 7 in and never mind Toshiba tablet along with others.

Apple tablet market share has been and can only go in one direction as competition is coming out. Apple is running scared as the lawsuits prove.
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/01/24/apple-reports-best-quarter-ever-in-q1-2012-13-06-billion-profit-on-46-33-billion-in-revenue/

I don't see a whole lotta fright there.