Apple Says Apple Watch Series 3 Lasts Up to 7 Hours When Streaming Apple Music Over LTE

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 1, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Following yesterday's release of watchOS 4.1, which enables Apple Music and Beats 1 streaming over LTE on cellular-enabled Apple Watch Series 3 models, Apple has outlined how much impact the functionality has on battery life.

[​IMG]

While all Apple Watch Series 3 models are rated for up to 10 hours of battery life when playing music from the watch's built-in storage, Apple says the device gets up to seven hours of battery life when streaming Apple Music with LTE.

Apple also says the Apple Watch Series 3 has up to five hours of battery life when streaming live radio with LTE. watchOS 4.1 features a new Radio app with access to Beats 1 and other Apple Music radio stations.

For outdoor sessions with the Workout app, the Apple Watch Series 3 is rated for up to three hours of battery life with streaming audio, GPS, and LTE. That's one hour less than an outdoor workout without streaming audio.

Apple says battery life varies by use, configuration, cellular network, signal strength, streaming quality settings, and many other factors.

Article Link: Apple Says Apple Watch Series 3 Lasts Up to 7 Hours When Streaming Apple Music Over LTE

2. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

Once again people slam the Apple Watch over battery life before knowing what it's actually capable of.

3. Mansu944 macrumors 6502

Not bad. It charges fast and I can live with this.

4. Applebot1 macrumors 6502a

5. Scottsoapbox macrumors 6502a

Scottsoapbox

3 hours of battery working out! ROFL!

This is why you will never see a triathlete with an apple watch.

6. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Considering I can get 4 days on a single charge (I take it off at night) I don’t doubt this. I think apple was really conservative with their battery life statements on this device.

I would say that anyone trying to swim with AirPods in, has other problems to worry about.

Without streaming music you get 4-5 hours, and more if you don’t have it in workout mode. But again, Apple is conservative so I would expect people see more, even when streaming music.

7. roncron macrumors 6502

roncron

Great to know you can stream music for 7 hours.

How much data does that use? How much do you get per month in the $10/month plan?

8. CB1234 macrumors 6502a

CB1234

And how many triathlete's around the world are Apple targeting with their apple watch, may I ask?

9. fokmik macrumors 68040

very decent, even if its not 7 and if its 6, is not too bad...
    Good Apple
    --- Post Merged, Nov 1, 2017 ---
    i am streaming music, and with 1gb dont have any problems

10. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

11. fokmik macrumors 68040

20MB of data every 10 minutes, around 3.5GB data a month if you are a heavy streaming one

12. peteo macrumors regular

Interesting that using the radio app uses your battery more. Apple must be doing some catching with the music app to save battery life. Smart

13. Applebot1 macrumors 6502a

I think the Apple Watch is starting to become more interesting and very tempted to buy. For me to get the most out of it the cellular version is a must. I can see myself not upgrading my SE next year and getting one of these to compliment. My only issue is I'm on Voda and only EE support this atm.

14. iPhysicist macrumors 65816

iPhysicist

Never knew that triathletes need to listen to music during competition.

You learn something new every day.

15. Fozziebear71 macrumors 6502

Fozziebear71

Pretty sure Apple won't lose any sleep over missing out on the 100's of triathletes in the world.

16. Syk macrumors 6502a

I hope Amazon comes out with a stand alone app that will stream Amazon music to the Series 3.
    I have Prime so I don't see the need to pay for Apple Music.

I got a question that is probably a stupid question though.
    I'm planning on getting a Series 3 LTE hopefully this black Friday or CyberMonday and giving my Series 2 to my son...

What benefit does the Apple Ear Pods give me over just regular BT headphones?
    Does it give me more functionality with the watch?

17. wolfshades macrumors 6502

wolfshades

I've got a question for y'all. Is there an approximate guess out there as to the amount of data you'd be streaming if you were to listen to Apple Music over LTE from your watch for the full 7 hours?

18. Carnegie macrumors 6502

I've been impressed with the battery life of my Series 3 as compared to what I was getting from my Series 0. In particular I've been impressed with how slowly the battery drains when I'm using workout mode and listening to music from the Watch.

19. Iconoclysm macrumors 68020

Iconoclysm

Guess you spoke too soon.... https://theapplewatchtriathlete.com/

20. NIKKG macrumors 6502

NIKKG

They need to open up the Apple watch to Android, they missing alot of sales.

21. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

Funny, I'm a Triathelete (albeit, not very good) but I use an Apple Watch for training and events* Garmin have the market sown up already, with the Apple watch not having a specific mode - that's a problem.

*although attempting to start the fitness options when in open water in a wet suit is interesting.

22. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

For what the watch cost, that is not very good battery life, in my opinion. Get the battery to 12 hrs and I will buy.

23. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

Well no, not the slow ones. But perhaps the good fast ones....

24. dmylrea macrumors 68030

dmylrea

Why do you get seven hours of battery when streaming Apple Music over LTE, but five hours when streaming radio over LTE? How is streaming Apple Music more battery efficient?