Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
These fools must be dealt with publicly. What insane garbage they spew. Is this how the Android industry innovates?

Don’t bother. Apple's sales figures will speak for themselves.

At the end of the day, one bets against Apple to their own detriment.

Agent2015

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2015
Sonoran Desert
How exactly is Samsung now mimicking Apple's every move? None of Samsung's current phones look a thing like an iPhone, and if anything the X is copying several features Samsung introduced earlier.

And by the way, there is quite a bit of technology involved in manufacturing other things than smartphones, but I won't even try to explain it to you.
Since you don't even own an iPhone you simply don't have any inkling about the tech that goes into iPhone, iPad, etc. How are those Android updates coming along for you by the way? I have many associates (I'm run with a technical crowd) running a variety of Android devices and I would say maybe 20% are up to date with Android OS releases. Most will never get them even on relatively new devices. As far as what technology that Samsung will incorporate at some point once they reverse engineer the software and hardware will include the slick Face ID. And don't even start oh Android had this first, if so where is it? Working well no doubt because the Android market is flooded with such solutions right? But you know what it simply isn't worth the time and effort to educate folks like you. Enjoy your Samsung and Microsoft devices while you can. Do yourself a favor and don't read anymore about the iPhone X as it will just make you angry and jealous. A bit of math for you. 64 + 128 = 192. Thats the total memory that your Note 8 has with that funky expansion slot. My new iPhone X will have 256 GB built right in seamlessly. It's to going to be a fantastic upgrade!

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Digital assistant, i meant Voice activated that is Siri. So its different from what we knew as PDAs and digital diaries way back in the 90s

lol digital diaries lol - you mean a notepad?

So what did you really mean by "Personal digital organizer" then? I'm curious.

Siri is an 'AI' of sorts, yet digital assistant could be more accurate for Siri (vs the competition).

Still with Siri ... and the iPhone and iPad Apple had fully achieved 'the navigator' concept.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
Since you don't even own an iPhone you simply don't have any inkling about the tech that goes into iPhone, iPad, etc. How are those Android updates coming along for you by the way? I have many associates (I'm run with a technical crowd) running a variety of Android devices and I would say maybe 20% are up to date with Android OS releases. Most will never get them even on relatively new devices. As far as what technology that Samsung will incorporate at some point once they reverse engineer the software and hardware will include the slick Face ID. And don't even start oh Android had this first, if so where is it? Working well no doubt because the Android market is flooded with such solutions right? But you know what it simply isn't worth the time and effort to educate folks like you. Enjoy your Samsung and Microsoft devices while you can. Do yourself a favor and don't read anymore about the iPhone X as it will just make you angry and jealous. A bit of math for you. 64 + 128 = 192. Thats the total memory that your Note 8 has with that funky expansion slot. My new iPhone X will have 256 GB built right in seamlessly. It's to going to be a fantastic upgrade!

You are really making this too easy. I'm not basing my comments on the "many associates" in the "technical crowd" I run with. I am basing them on my own experience. I've got an iPhone 6S+ laying on my desk that I've used for 2 years, along with an Apple Watch. My entire family has iPhones. I've owned and used iPhones since the 3G, and probably bought at least 20 of them. My wife has an iPhone and iPad that I keep running for her. I've owned and used Macs for years. One of my daughter's is a design student and has a MacBookPro which I help her with. She's probably buying an iPad Pro very soon for her design work, which I will help her get setup.

So let me educate you a bit. The Note 8 comes in 64G and 256G flavors, and you have expandable storage. If I want more storage on mine, I can buy a bigger 256GB microSD card. I bought the 64G version because after two years of owning an iPhone 6S+ 128G, I never used more than about 64G of storage... so I'm confident that 64G plus expansion will serve my needs fine. I have to hand it to you though, I've never seen anyone argue that having expandable storage locks you in to max storage, but not having it doesn't. Maybe the technical crowd you run with can explain how expandable storage works... namely, that you can expand it.

Good luck to you with the X. Maybe when Apple gets around to building a plus size version that competes with the Note 8, I'll give iPhones another look. Given how long it took them to make this update, who knows when that will be. In the mean time, I'll enjoy being able to seamlessly update my pen based OneNote documents on my phone and computer... something Apple refuses to provide.

Agent2015

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2015
Sonoran Desert
You are really making this too easy. I'm not basing my comments on the "many associates" in the "technical crowd" I run with. I am basing them on my own experience. I've got an iPhone 6S+ laying on my desk that I've used for 2 years, along with an Apple Watch. My entire family has iPhones. I've owned and used iPhones since the 3G, and probably bought at least 20 of them. My wife has an iPhone and iPad that I keep running for her. I've owned and used Macs for years. One of my daughter's is a design student and has a MacBookPro which I help her with. She's probably buying an iPad Pro very soon for her design work, which I will help her get setup.

So let me educate you a bit. The Note 8 comes in 64G and 256G flavors, and you have expandable storage. If I want more storage on mine, I can buy a bigger 256GB microSD card. I bought the 64G version because after two years of owning an iPhone 6S+ 128G, I never used more than about 64G of storage... so I'm confident that 64G plus expansion will serve my needs fine. I have to hand it to you though, I've never seen anyone argue that having expandable storage locks you in to max storage, but not having it doesn't. Maybe the technical crowd you run with can explain how expandable storage works... namely, that you can expand it.

Good luck to you with the X. Maybe when Apple gets around to building a plus size version that competes with the Note 8, I'll give iPhones another look. Given how long it took them to make this update, who knows when that will be. In the mean time, I'll enjoy being able to seamlessly update my pen based OneNote documents on my phone and computer... something Apple refuses to provide.
Yeah a couple of my technical buddies tell horror stories about the corruptions they have had to deal with, with those "stable" expandable storage devices that so endear you. Some say it corrosion of the slot itself, others blame the fragile nature of microSD cards. Who knows. I wouldn't trust a microSD card for my critical data as far as I could toss it...well maybe they're OK for my fleet of Raspberry Pi's but no further! So yeah go ahead and keep your collection of microSD cards but beware of magnets! haha

Must be sad to have to do all research all by your self and not have a technical crowd with whom to share experiences with. Trust me it is much better to discuss and argue technology with real people rather than to carry on imaginary conversations via these forums.

By the way I won't bore with my extensive list of all the Apple products I currently own and support as a result of the kind of work I do. Everything from 2011 MacBook Pros to 2017 MacBook Pros, 2010 iMacs to 2017 iMacs, Mac minis, iPhone 4 through iPhone 8 (soon, very very soon, two shiny new iPhone X with you guessed it, 256 GB of onboard storage), Apple TV 3, 4, 4K, iPad 2 to 9.7, 10.5, 12.9 iPad Pro, and so on. Like I said I didn't want to bore you.

And guess what I even have several Android devices and Microsoft Windows PCs (to say nothing about the variety of servers, appliances, etc) that I use for testing and compatibility assessments. That reminds me, I have to wrestle with two of the Androids tomorrow to try to get them updated with the "flavor of the month" to patch the KRACK vulnerability. Ugh, what a pain. Let me tell the joy I feel once I am back on the firm ground of iOS!

Oh and by the way did you happen to hear about the spectacular Apple 4Q results announced today? Must be tough to read about all those fantastic results for people that seem to think that Apple is falling off a steep cliff. I wonder what the execs and engineers at Samsung, Microsoft, Google, etc must be thinking right about now. Surely finding an equivalent to Face ID must be at the top of their list! Launch the reverse engineering teams ASAP! haha

And finally I highly recommend staying away from any kind of Apple news for at least for the next quarter for it may cause a bout of depression for all those Apple naysayers out there. You've been warned.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
Yeah a couple of my technical buddies tell horror stories about the corruptions they have had to deal with, with those "stable" expandable storage devices that so endear you. Some say it corrosion of the slot itself, others blame the fragile nature of microSD cards. Who knows. I wouldn't trust a microSD card for my critical data as far as I could toss it...well maybe they're OK for my fleet of Raspberry Pi's but no further! So yeah go ahead and keep your collection of microSD cards but beware of magnets! haha

Must be sad to have to do all research all by your self and not have a technical crowd with whom to share experiences with. Trust me it is much better to discuss and argue technology with real people rather than to carry on imaginary conversations via these forums.

By the way I won't bore with my extensive list of all the Apple products I currently own and support as a result of the kind of work I do. Everything from 2011 MacBook Pros to 2017 MacBook Pros, 2010 iMacs to 2017 iMacs, Mac minis, iPhone 4 through iPhone 8 (soon, very very soon, two shiny new iPhone X with you guessed it, 256 GB of onboard storage), Apple TV 3, 4, 4K, iPad 2 to 9.7, 10.5, 12.9 iPad Pro, and so on. Like I said I didn't want to bore you.

And guess what I even have several Android devices and Microsoft Windows PCs (to say nothing about the variety of servers, appliances, etc) that I use for testing and compatibility assessments. That reminds me, I have to wrestle with two of the Androids tomorrow to try to get them updated with the "flavor of the month" to patch the KRACK vulnerability. Ugh, what a pain. Let me tell the joy I feel once I am back on the firm ground of iOS!

Oh and by the way did you happen to hear about the spectacular Apple 4Q results announced today? Must be tough to read about all those fantastic results for people that seem to think that Apple is falling off a steep cliff. I wonder what the execs and engineers at Samsung, Microsoft, Google, etc must be thinking right about now. Surely finding an equivalent to Face ID must be at the top of their list! Launch the reverse engineering teams ASAP! haha

And finally I highly recommend staying away from any kind of Apple news for at least for the next quarter for it may cause a bout of depression for all those Apple naysayers out there. You've been warned.

You are quite full of yourself there and know lots of buzzwords! But you completely ignored the things I pointed out which you were factually incorrect on. I'm guessing from the way you are talking that I was probably running with a "technical crowd" before you were born, but I "won't bore you" with that. After all, you have "technical buddies" to tell you "horror stories". That must be a fun time.

I believe Apple's quarterly results were back up where they were two years ago, so a good recovery from the off year last year. It will be helpful to my portfolio. I believe the other companies you mentioned are also doing quite well. Since the tech Apple used for FaceID was based on earlier Microsoft tech, and the great new display on the X is made by Samsung, they probably aren't all that surprised. Other than FaceID, the X is a "catch up" in many areas. They didn't get to the plus size model though... that will probably come a year from now for even more money.

Thanks for warning me about Apple news. I quite enjoy it though. I am hopeful that the X is a success, and that FaceID is as good as they say it is.

dubsty

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2011
Toronto, ON
I guess the iPhone X was too expensive. :rolleyes:

Although I can't imagine spending that much on a phone. I guess plenty of people could care less and will pay whatever it takes.

If you’re willing to spend $800 on a phone, spending $1000 isn’t that far off. Also, if you’re not willing/able to spend $35 a month on a new phone, you probably shouldn’t be looking at buying luxury smartphones anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.