Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced that stores will have iPhone X available for walk-in customers, who it encourages to arrive early, on launch day. Presumably, this will include both Apple's own retail locations and select authorized resellers.

iphone-x-quad.jpg

iPhone X will go on sale in more than 55 countries and territories on Friday, November 3. On the same day, the first deliveries will begin to customers. iPhone X pre-orders begin this Friday, October 27 at 12:01 a.m. Pacific Time.

Due to a mix of reported production issues and strong demand, in-store availability of iPhone X will likely be extremely limited. Prospective buyers should be prepared for the possibility of waiting in long lines.

In a recent interview with BuzzFeed News, Apple CEO Tim Cook said "we'll see what happens" in regards to iPhone X availability. "We'll be working as hard as possible to make as many as possible," he added.

Here's the full list of countries and territories where iPhone X launches November 3:

o Andorra
o Australia
o Austria
o Bahrain
o Belgium
o Bulgaria
o Canada
o China
o Croatia
o Cyprus
o Czech Republic
o Denmark
o Estonia
o Finland
o France
o Germany
o Greece
o Greenland
o Guernsey
o Hong Kong
o Hungary
o Iceland
o India
o Ireland
o Isle of Man
o Italy
o Japan
o Jersey
o Kuwaito Latvia
o Liechtenstein
o Lithuania
o Luxembourg
o Malta
o Mexico
o Monaco
o The Netherlands
o New Zealand
o Norway
o Poland
o Portugal
o Puerto Rico
o Qatar
o Romania
o Russia
o Saudi Arabia
o Singapore
o Slovakia
o Slovenia
o Spain
o Sweden
o Switzerland
o Taiwan
o United Arab Emirates
o United Kingdom
o United States
o U.S. Virgin Islands
The majority of Apple's retail stores will open at 8:00 a.m. local time on November 3.

Article Link: Apple Says iPhone X Will Be Available for Walk-In Customers at Stores on Launch Day

Reactions: Avieshek

iLoveDeveloping

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2009
Ireland
What happened to no one wanting one... Ye ok, I believed that for about 10 seconds. I think especially coming up to Christmas it's going to be big!! People bitch about the $1000 price tag, honestly, if I could afford that I'd buy one no problem - sadly I don't. I'll just have to play with one in store! :(

sfwalter

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Dallas Texas
1 per store?
That is what I was thinking. You have 55 launch countries and at least 8 different phone configurations:

- 64GB Silver CDMA
- 64GB Black CDMA
- 256GB Silver CDMA
- 256B Black CDMA
- 64GB Silver GSM
- 64GB Black GSM
- 256GB Silver GSM
- 256B Black GSM

All those models spread across 2-3 million units on launch day. There aren't enough on launch day to satisfy the first 1/2 hour of pre-ordering.

deanthedev

Suspended
Sep 29, 2017
Vancouver
So much for supply issues. In the past Apple has limited launch to a smaller number of countries and then added additional countries every week or two.

What good is it to launch in 55 countries if there’s massive shortages everywhere? Better to limit to a smaller number of countries and make sure they have sufficient stock so as not to upset people by not having stock.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
That is what I was thinking. You have 55 launch countries and at least 8 different phone configurations:

- 64GB Silver CDMA
- 64GB Black CDMA
- 256GB Silver CDMA
- 256B Black CDMA
- 64GB Silver GSM
- 64GB Black GSM
- 256GB Silver GSM
- 256B Black GSM

All those models spread across 2-3 million units on launch day. There aren't enough on launch day to satisfy the first 1/2 hour of pre-ordering.
How do we know it’s 2-3 million?

Mark B16

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2016
Manchester & Norwich - England
Doesn't everyone get basic marketing... it's called the rule of scarcity. The more people think something is harder to get the more people want it.

Apple are putting out these stories as they know demand is low based on the price of the device, so by circulating stories saying supply is limited, limited stock in store etc etc, people will try harder to get one creating a PR buzz.

Whilst supply may actually be tight, this certainly being used to make the product demand look higher.

shk718

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2007
this ticks me off a bit - we will all be up early this Friday to per-order and i bet many of us won't get one at launch - yet apple says they will have some in the stores and to be sure to line up early - this is purely for Wall ST - they want visible lines to make headlines because initial sales will be low and they don't want Wall St freaking out.

my complaint is that these lines are an artificial thing created by apple. A couple of years ago they purposely expanded the online order system, according to Angela Ahrendts, so that people wouldn't have to camp out in front of the stores in the freezing cold for hours (something I have done). And this has been very successful - the lines have decreased dramatically. Now they have a hot phone and very limited supply and they make an announcement that they will have some in the stores but you better show up early to get one. They know most won't get one opening day on the pre-order and they know we'll show up at the stores and wait in hopes of getting one. This is a game they're playing with all of us hard core fans who want one on opening day. I think all of the phones should be available for pre-order and on opening day they should announce that all have been sold out so people don't waste their time in line. I think few people can take the day off to stand in line in the potential cold (or rain) - but more can and would want to wake up at place an order at home.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.