Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I don't understand what is up with Apple design at times...

The iPad mini is a device LOVED for usage in portrait mode.

Did they just think nobody would notice the jelly?
Particularly as it's a change from previous iPad Mini's that didn't have portrait mode jelly?

Just such a bad bad idea to even let this change get off the initial drawing board design table.

Moonlight

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2002
Los Angeles
The issue is caused by the hardware design. The screen refreshes along the short edge rather than along the long edge. (And that short edge is very short on the mini.) This is a function of how the display electronics are layed out. It can’t be changed without a redesign of the hardware. The MacRumors article is misleading in that respect.
Good explanation, thank you. What I am wondering is why some don't have that issue and some do? Because even just the few comments on this post by owners of it have both opinions.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Good explanation, thank you. What I am wondering is why some don't have that issue and some do? Because even just the few comments on this post by owners of it have both opinions.

Some aren't sensitive to it and apparently don't notice it.

Apple has confirmed this is on every Mini 6 - there are none that "don't have it"

It's a matter of perception by the user

Okasian

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2017
If this is “normal behaviour for LCD screens” then the issue would have occurred on all previous iPads as they are also LCD screens.

If it is such that the iPad mini is only affected, then it is not “normal behaviour” and therefore a defective batch that needs to be replaced.

Which is it?

The iPad mini marketing material for the ‘Liquid Retina Display’ as-advertised on their website is the same as other iPad models - as of 28/09/2021.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
If this is “normal behaviour for LCD screens” then the issue would have occurred on all previous iPads as they are also LCD screens.

This apparently is the first iPad to have changed the orientation of the screen refreshing so that jelly is seen in Portrait vs Landscape. It's much more noticeable in Portrait mode.

(perhaps there were early ones that did this too, but not recently)

mateo124

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
Sounds like a software fix won't be in the works because it's not software related. Glad everyone is still within their return period.
It is most certainly not software related. In theory, software could be used to compensate for the issue, but it would add latency to scrolling. Ultimately the problem lies with Apple switching the display's orientation (or refresh direction, rather) and I'm sure they will have learned from their mistake when the next iteration arrives.

_Spinn_

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2020
Wisconsin
Sure this might happen on other LCDs but if it more pronounced on the Mini then it sounds to me like there is either a problem or Apple picked a bad LCD for the Mini.

Reactions: Jovijoker

AJTC

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2012
I used to get this on my first gen iPad Air in portrait orientation. I hated it. I’m surprised it wasn’t an issue this big back in 2013.

davidako

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2021
MacRumors are giving people false hope with their unsubstantiated claim that it's worse on some mini 6's than others. There is no evidence that is the case.

The only difference is some people are less affected by it. In the forum threads multiple people have claimed their mini 6 doesn't have jelly scroll but then they post a video and it's blatantly there.

Moonlight

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2002
Los Angeles
Some aren't sensitive to it and apparently don't notice it.

Apple has confirmed this is on every Mini 6 - there are none that "don't have it"

It's a matter of perception by the user
What they confirmed is it is on EVERY LCD iPad, but it looks like it is in portrait this time instead of landscape. Makes sense that some see it and some don't. More "see it" when twitter and youtube point it out as a problem.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
What they confirmed is it is on EVERY LCD iPad, but it looks like it is in portrait this time instead of landscape. Makes sense that some see it and some don't. More "see it" when twitter and youtube point it out as a problem.

It's more than that - I spent 30 mins at a store with a Mini 6 yesterday.
If one sees it -- it's pretty bad.

If one doesn't see it (or care about it) - no issue!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.