Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paul_a

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2020
But The Verge said they know for a fact it wouldn't work. ??? Highly doubt The Verge would knowingly post something anti-Apple... Apple must be wrong on this one.

sean+mac

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2020
Canada
There were some recent price drops on the 'old' magic keyboard design. Bet they've all disappeared...
Just had come to comment myself and just saw it on Amazon USA for $50 off (USD$299), which for me me becomes CAD$82 cheaper – as the listed price exchange rate was already inflated. Of course import shipping costs/hassle to Canada would cut into some of that.

At that price, still not quite hitting the cost vs. personal value proposition for me, especially as I find it quite bulky on the move (from having looked at it in store a few times.) but I'll admit for like 20 minutes on-and-off I've tempted by the white one with my upgrade order tomorrow. Ultimately, at least while still in pandemic mode, the keyboard case is overkill for my always at home needs so it is a no go on the Magic Keyboard. But with last gens getting a price cut and still fitting good enough it seems, I'll be keeping my eyes open in the future for a deal as it seems a good compact package for longer travel.

Upgrading from the 2018 model, just use the folio cover and bluetooth keyboards today. Works well.

Grohowiak

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2012
But what about all those who were up in arms when it was assumed that it wouldn't be compatible? What about their outrage? And what about all those that don't even own one and still felt the need to fill the forum with complaints?
Complaining about other people complaining is not the way my dude / dudette.
Life's awesome!

On another note I think I'll finally upgrade my 2018 12.9 pro. The new one should last me a long time.

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
from Apple: "Due to the slightly thicker dimensions of this new iPad Pro, it's possible that the Magic Keyboard may not precisely fit when closed, especially when screen protectors are applied."

That is very odd wording: "it's possible that the Magic Keyboard may not precisely fit...". They have access to the old Magic Keyboard. Have they not tested to see how the new iPad Pro 12" fits with the old Magic Keyboard? Why the word "may"? It either does or doesn't fit well.

Are they trying to say something like this:
1. The old Magic Keyboard fits fine with the new iPad Pro 12" as long as you do not add stickers or screen protectors on its surface.
2. The old Magic keyboard does not fit well if the surface of the new iPad Pro 12" is adulterated.

*shrug*
They are saying the hinge will barely close at best due to the new thickness.

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC

The new 12.9-inch M1 iPad Pro is 0.5mm thicker than the previous-generation version, which has led to fears that it won't be compatible with the older Magic Keyboard. Apple is offering a new Magic Keyboard that offers a perfect fit, but Apple says you can still use your existing 2020 Magic Keyboard with a 2021 iPad Pro.

Magic-Keyboard-Side-Anlge-Red.jpg

In a Magic Keyboard support document, Apple says the first-generation Magic Keyboard is "functionally compatible" with the fifth-generation iPad Pro, but due to the thickness of the tablet, it's "possible" the keyboard won't precisely fit when closed.Apple says that the fit issue will be exacerbated if a screen protector is put on the iPad Pro, but it sounds like iPad Pro owners who have a Magic Keyboard already and don't want to shell out another $349 for an updated version can continue to use their existing keyboards.

We'll find out more about how the older Magic Keyboard fits the new 12.9-inch iPad Pro when the iPad Pros are released or when reviews come out. Note that this issue only impacts the 12.9-inch model as the 11-inch iPad Pro is the same size and is fully compatible with the original Magic Keyboard.

For those who are concerned about the slight fit issue, Apple has a new version of the Magic Keyboard available for the 2021 iPad Pro, which comes in white for the first time in addition to black.

(Thanks, Chris!)

Article Link: Apple Says New 12.9-Inch iPad Pro is 'Functionally Compatible' With Older Magic Keyboard, But Fit May Be Imperfect When Closed
Crap! I just sold mine at a $200 loss! (Well, it was slightly damaged. Plus, I needed an excuse to update to the white version.)

• Haha
Reactions: Unregistered 4U

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
There are things Apple can and should control and things that they can't or arguably shouldn't. With something like watch bands, there is no reason why any watch changes couldn't accommodate the existing bands, and we therefore should expect Apple to maintain compatibility. Cases are more complicated. We can fairly expect Apple not to arbitrarily make an existing case incompatible with a new model, but I think most people understand that the fit of cases may be impacted by design changes in a new model or by technological changes that require dimensions to change. Here, we all knew the iPad Pro's dimensions were likely to change as a result of the different screen technology, but it sounds like Apple did what they could to make the changes as minimal as possible. To me, it's not "blind worship" to view that as a good compromise.

Last edited by a moderator:

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
Tim Apple: Let’s release a new keyboard that’s a better fit for the iPad Pro and tell customers they have to buy a new one to use with their iPad Pro = ?

Many Customers: I think I will hold off pre-ordering as this will be a no go for me as I am no way paying another $350 for a keyboard case.

Tim Apple: It’s looking like many customers are not going to pre-order due to their magic keyboards not fitting… right we better release a statement fast before this effects sales.

STATEMENT RELEASED

Many Customers: Listing old iPad for sale.

OLD IPAD SOLD AND 4 WEEKS LATER

Many Customers: Oh wow I got my new iPad Pro today but my keyboard isn’t closing properly ?, I better order a new magic keyboard cause I have already sold my old iPad.

Tim Apple: ? ? ?

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
You guys are just as bad, you are doing the same thing. Two sides of the same coin. Either be productive or you are just making noise. If you truly want those people to stop, just ignore it. It's one thing to respond to someone's comments directly its another thing to invite the drama. Please stop <big heart emoji here>
Difference is, there was absolutely nothing official in the original report, but that didn't stop people to jump on the "Apple-sucks-bandwagon". ?‍♂️

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
This is good news. It would have been nice if Apple said this a week ago when everyone was speculating the worst.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
from Apple: "Due to the slightly thicker dimensions of this new iPad Pro, it's possible that the Magic Keyboard may not precisely fit when closed, especially when screen protectors are applied."

That is very odd wording: "it's possible that the Magic Keyboard may not precisely fit...". They have access to the old Magic Keyboard. Have they not tested to see how the new iPad Pro 12" fits with the old Magic Keyboard? Why the word "may"? It either does or doesn't fit well.

Are they trying to say something like this:
1. The old Magic Keyboard fits fine with the new iPad Pro 12" as long as you do not add stickers or screen protectors on its surface.
2. The old Magic keyboard does not fit well if the surface of the new iPad Pro 12" is adulterated.

*shrug*
Good point. One would assume they tested and know.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
You mean a week ago on the day the iPad Pro was announced? SMH
At least when the rumors were first floating around that it wouldn’t be compatible. A little birdie could have easily leaked something to John Gruber or some other Apple-centric media.

Maconplasma

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2020
At least when the rumors were first floating around that it wouldn’t be compatible. A little birdie could have easily leaked something to John Gruber or some other Apple-centric media.
You're being 100% unreasonable to expect a company to respond to rumors before they even announce a product. This is exactly why some people hate Mac users because of their entitlement. Besides what does it matter? Are you out of any money? Is anyone out of any money? NO. Because nobody has ordered an iPad Pro. You got an early enough notice. Let it go.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
You're being 100% unreasonable to expect a company to respond to rumors before they even announce a product. This is exactly why some people hate Mac users because of their entitlement.
I’m not sure what you’re talking about. The rumors of the keyboard incompatibility came out after the product was announced. Anyway it seems Apple is on the record now either because of the complaints or to protect themselves from liability if someone uses the old keyboard and it damages the new iPad.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
But what about all those who were up in arms when it was assumed that it wouldn't be compatible? What about their outrage? And what about all those that don't even own one and still felt the need to fill the forum with complaints?

No worries, mate. There's still the "missing" hole in AirTags. Certainly worthy of a five minute juvenile feet-stomping sky is falling Apple sucks moan-n-whine outrage.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

I think it says a lot more about the critics here when they automatically assume the worst of Apple, and for hopping on the bandwagon.

So many forum members losing their collective minds just because the old keyboard *might* not fit the new iPad. All sorts of names being hurled around. That sounds like the worst case of concern trolling if I ever saw one.

Apple shouldn’t need to clarify anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.