Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erniefairchild1

Suspended
Jan 28, 2017
You guys are just as bad, you are doing the same thing. Two sides of the same coin. Either be productive or you are just making noise. If you truly want those people to stop, just ignore it. It's one thing to respond to someone's comments directly its another thing to invite the drama. Please stop <big heart emoji here>
You're just as bad, you are doing the same thing. Two sides of the same coin. Either be productive or you are just making noise. If you truly want those people to stop, just ignore it. It's one thing to respond to someone's comments directly its another thing to invite the drama. Please stop <big heart emoji here>

See how that works?

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011
I think it says a lot more about the critics here when they automatically assume the worst of Apple, and for hopping on the bandwagon.

So many forum members losing their collective minds just because the old keyboard *might* not fit the new iPad. All sorts of names being hurled around. That sounds like the worst case of concern trolling if I ever saw one.

Apple shouldn’t need to clarify anything.

If this were an isolated incident you might be right but it isn't. There are some quite disgusting planned obsolescence schemes Apple has pulled in the past.

The problem is the more egregious it gets, the more a brand and trust gets eroded. Brand trust is important, it's a large part of the relationship between Apple and its users.

Imagine if potentially each iPad model requires you to buy a new $300 keyboard each time? That's why you see vocal frustrations from users, because it's expected that Apple could pull this sort of thing.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
But what about all those who were up in arms when it was assumed that it wouldn't be compatible? What about their outrage? And what about all those that don't even own one and still felt the need to fill the forum with complaints?
To be fair it was likely disappointment not outrage. There was hope that a $350 accessory would fit an iPad for more than one generation. And when Apple showcased the new iPad Pros along with the Magic Keyboard there was no mention of lack of compatibility. Your comment does nothing more than just stir the pot unnecessarily.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
And that’s why I ignored that Verge article members here were using as an answer to everything.
Apple Insider had an article too. And then posted another one saying Apple should allow you to trade-in your old keyboard for a discount on a new one. I still think this would be a good gesture on Apple’s part.

erniefairchild1

Suspended
Jan 28, 2017
You're just as bad, you are doing the same thing. Two sides of the same coin. Either be productive or you are just making noise. If you truly want those people to stop, just ignore it. It's one thing to respond to someone's comments directly its another thing to invite the drama. Please stop <big heart emoji here>

See how that works?
Aw, I got dislikes from hissy-fitters.

The point stands that it's silly to advise others to ignore posts that you don't want to encourage, and then go and respond to posts you, yourself, don't want to encourage.

The MacRumors elitists and negators are becoming confused!

• Disagree
Reactions: verdi1987

parada6

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2020
In my opinion, an M1 air is a way better choice here. Coming from a owner of both air and iPad Pro.

if you need a permanent desktop setup just get air, if you need mobility why bother with an external keyboard case?

• Disagree
Reactions: erniefairchild1

erniefairchild1

Suspended
Jan 28, 2017
To be fair it was likely disappointment not outrage. There was hope that a $350 accessory would fit an iPad for more than one generation. And when Apple showcased the new iPad Pros along with the Magic Keyboard there was no mention of lack of compatibility. Your comment does nothing more than just stir the pot unnecessarily.
Did Apple mention that iPhone 5s cases would not be compatible with iPhone 6 cases? Did Apple mention that iPad 2 accessories wouldn't work with iPad Air accessories? I don't recall them making a big splash about that. Perhaps because..it's a different product. It's great if it's compatible with the previous generation's accessories, but there is no reasonable expectation/assumption that it will. How long should previous accessories be supported for? 1 year, 2 years, 3 years, 10 years? Who decides that? You? Oh, of course, naturally it's you. I bet I know who you voted for, Mr. Know-it-all.

• Disagree

erniefairchild1

Suspended
Jan 28, 2017
If this were an isolated incident you might be right but it isn't. There are some quite disgusting planned obsolescence schemes Apple has pulled in the past.

The problem is the more egregious it gets, the more a brand and trust gets eroded. Brand trust is important, it's a large part of the relationship between Apple and its users.

Imagine if potentially each iPad model requires you to buy a new $300 keyboard each time? That's why you see vocal frustrations from users, because it's expected that Apple could pull this sort of thing.
Wait till this winner hears about other companies...

Are you a paid attacker, or do you really believe in what you wrote?

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
It struck me as unlikely the entire time that an increased thickness of 0.5 millimeter would make the combination old Magic Keyboard and M1 iPad Pro unworkable. And I was thinking this because I have a dBrand Skin on the back of my 2018 iPad Pro and it fits the Magic Keyboard without the slightest problem. Yes, a dBrandSkin is not 0.5 mil thick, but it's not nothing either.

Will be interesting to hear/see the first reports when the new iPads are out there ...
The only caveat I would say is that the SKIN or screen protector probably doesn’t go fully to the edge of the ipad and the crux or problem may be right at the hinge area and width (since it’s the most rigid part) and that MAY be where even this slightest increase may show itself. For now, I may still go with a 2021 and just don’t close the MKB. I know, I know that’s not the way it’s designed but for me thats the way it is mostly used. On a desktop, lap, not really in closed clamshell at all.

I’ll just add the for those who have put “five sheets of paper” on their 2018/20 models and tried it out, I don’t really find that a valid test. Sure, the five sheets may be .5 mm thick overall, technically, but the paper also compresses easily and probably down to half that with the slightest pressure. In the case of the new 2021 ipad, it’s NOT going to compress at all and if it’s the hinge or keys nearest that hinge that have some sort of problem with .5mm extra thickness that may be where apple says its not “fully compatible, but functional”. Just a thought.

Last edited:

erniefairchild1

Suspended
Jan 28, 2017
Maybe if your iPhone 11 case were $350.
The cost is relative to the utility and worth of the device or accessory in the use case at hand. I think it's reasonable to expect an accessory to work with the correlated generation of device it's designed for, and it's up to you if the accessory is worth the price. And if it's expensive, I would hope it's quality and would last a while. But that worth is in the context of that device. There is no reasonable expectation that the same accessory will be compatible with the next generation. What is Apple more significantly altered the dimensions of the iPad? Presumably you'd be happy then, because of course you never would've even thought I it might be compatible...Oh, no, you'd still be miserable.

My Magic Keyboard still works beautifully with the generation of iPad I bought it for. It was worth the financial investment.

Freeangel1

Suspended
Jan 13, 2020
I bought the BRYDGE.
No way $350 and may not be compatible with future iPad Pro's.
you can make it fit in a BRYDGE and for half the price of the SO CALLED magic keyboard.
yeah. magic on the wallet.

erniefairchild1

Suspended
Jan 28, 2017
I bought the BRYDGE.
No way $350 and may not be compatible with future iPad Pro's.
you can make it fit in a BRYDGE and for half the price of the SO CALLED magic keyboard.
yeah. magic on the wallet.
The cost is relative to the utility and worth of the device or accessory in the use case at hand. I think it's reasonable to expect an accessory to work with the correlated generation of device it's designed for, and it's up to you if the accessory is worth the price. And if it's expensive, I would hope it's quality and would last a while. But that worth is in the context of that device. There is no reasonable expectation that the same accessory will be compatible with the next generation. What is Apple more significantly altered the dimensions of the iPad? Presumably you'd be happy then, because of course you never would've even thought I it might be compatible...Oh, no, you'd still be miserable.

My Magic Keyboard still works beautifully with the generation of iPad I bought it for. It was worth the financial investment.

• Disagree

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Eh, the erosion in trust of the brand on MacRumors isn’t really keeping them up at night. :) As I posted elsewhere, everyone here could boycott all Apple products and Apple wouldn’t even notice.

Reactions: erniefairchild1

sirdir

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2006
given the fact the current keyboards fits so tightly that it always leaves an imprint line on my screen I'm not sure I'd be confident to put an about 2k iPrad Pro 2021 into that keyboard.

Reactions: JDGwf

erniefairchild1

Suspended
Jan 28, 2017
Eh, the erosion in trust of the brand on MacRumors isn’t really keeping them up at night. :) As I posted elsewhere, everyone here could boycott all Apple products and Apple wouldn’t even notice.
If there's one problem with many of the people on MacRumors message boards, it's that they have an unreasonably inflated sense of self-importance.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but this place is a cesspit of negativity against Apple. The ones behaving as if they are the most reasonable people in the history of humankind are the worst. No one cares about any of our opinions, just chill and enjoy the rumors.

Krizoitz

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
Apple should offer a 1 for 1 trade in. Disappointed with this news. Money grab Apple. Use some of your profits and personal bonus‘s to help. So bad.
Apple sold a device and an accessory that worked together.
Apple never promised it would work with all future models. The iPad form has changed numerous times. If you bought this assuming it would work with each future release that’s your fault not Apples.

erniefairchild1

Suspended
Jan 28, 2017
Apple never promised it would work with all future models. The iPad form has changed numerous times. If you bought this assuming it would work with each future release that’s your fault not Apples.
Oh my gosh, an intelligent life form. Please, stay with us, don't pull an ET.

What you said x100.

erniefairchild1

Suspended
Jan 28, 2017
I assume none of these people ever invested in an iPod nano. With the severe changes between generations of that one, they would be in mental institutions by now.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
All I can say is why somebody who just bought an iPad Pro last year, when to replace it with the new one?
Because they want one? Some folks like to have all the newest stuff and if they want one and can fund the purchase, they’ll probably get one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.