Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple at WWDC 2019 last week unveiled its long-awaited redesigned Mac Pro along with a new Pro Display XDR. At the time, Apple said both products will be available to order in the fall, without providing a more specific timeframe.

september-MacPro-2.jpg

Apple has since updated its website following the end of WWDC, however, revealing that the new Mac Pro and Pro Display XDR are "coming in September." This date is listed on Apple's homepage in an overlay that pops open after clicking on "notify me" under each product, although only in the United States.

This date has yet to be listed outside of the United States, while the main Mac Pro page and other marketing materials still say "coming in the fall," so this may or may not be an error. We've reached out to Apple for comment.

mac-pro-coming-in-september-lightbox.jpg

pro-display-xdr-coming-in-september-lightbox.jpg

The all-new Mac Pro is an absolute powerhouse with up to 28-core Intel Xeon processors, up to 1.5TB of ECC RAM, up to 4TB of SSD storage, up to AMD Radeon Pro Vega II Duo graphics with 64GB of HBM2 memory, and eight PCIe expansion slots for maximum performance, expansion, and configurability.

The new design includes a stainless steel frame with smooth handles and an aluminum housing that lifts off for 360-degree access to the entire system. The housing also features a unique lattice pattern, which has already been referred to as a cheese grater, to maximize airflow and quiet operation.

apple-pro-display-xdr-mac-pro.jpg

Apple's Pro Display XDR is a 32-inch 6K monitor with a P3 wide color gamut and true 10-bit color support, 1,600 nits of peak brightness, a 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio, and a super-wide, off-axis viewing angle.

The new Mac Pro will start at $5,999, while the Pro Display XDR will start at $4,999 with an optional $999 stand.

Update: Apple's homepage now says the new Mac Pro and Pro Display XDR are "coming this fall." It's unclear if the "September" timeframe was simply a mistake or prematurely-revealed information. We've yet to hear back from Apple.

Article Link: Apple Says New Mac Pro and Pro Display XDR Are Coming in September [Updated]

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
What’s the justification for the $999 monitor stand? I understand that if you’re spending almost $10000 on a monitor and computer together, another $999 isn’t a killer. But there’s nothing else special with that stand, right, other than being designed specifically for that monitor?

Jerion

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2016
I wish I actually did the kind of high-end work that actually benefits from this beast. Unfortunately, nobody in my office, let alone the building, (though maybe the next building over) has a workload anywhere near intensive enough to convince IT to make one appear.

Reactions: 5105973

projectle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2005
Time to start building up savings and credit status! With my experience of currently using a maxed out 2010MP the investment will be for an upgradable machine that will likewise be a useful tool for years to come.

That assumes someone (including Apple) releases new MPX modules. If not, you’re in the same boat as with the Trash Can which /also/ had upgradeable dual GPUs, but a new one never came out. You could just upgrade to the top tier which kept its price 5 years later because it was still the current sku.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
It's going to be a lot more than that. Remember who the Mac Pro is for: corporate purchasers and wealthy creatives. The former is primarily who it was designed for, and who can easily afford it.
Yeah, Disney isn't saying, "Wow, these are expensive."

First of all, professional equipment isn't cheap and those who buy it understand that. Go price an XDR comparable display and workstation. Apple actually is presenting tremendous value in this space. The $999 stand is the only questionable piece.

Secondly, money isn't the only determining factor for buying something, particularly when you have it. All cars are transportation, but BMWs, Benz, Ferrari, Porsche, etc deliver on metrics people care about.

Speedy2

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2008
It's going to be a lot more than that. Remember who the Mac Pro is for: corporate purchasers and wealthy creatives. The former is primarily who it was designed for, and who can easily afford it.

I've worked for quite a few wealthy companies with very skilled workforces. None of them would even think of getting such a machine, because none of them did high-end video/music editing. I think the market for the new Mac Pro is very limited.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.