Apple Says New Mac Pro and Pro Display XDR Are Coming in September [Updated]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 10, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple at WWDC 2019 last week unveiled its long-awaited redesigned Mac Pro along with a new Pro Display XDR. At the time, Apple said both products will be available to order in the fall, without providing a more specific timeframe.

[​IMG]

Apple has since updated its website following the end of WWDC, however, revealing that the new Mac Pro and Pro Display XDR are "coming in September." This date is listed on Apple's homepage in an overlay that pops open after clicking on "notify me" under each product, although only in the United States.

This date has yet to be listed outside of the United States, while the main Mac Pro page and other marketing materials still say "coming in the fall," so this may or may not be an error. We've reached out to Apple for comment.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The all-new Mac Pro is an absolute powerhouse with up to 28-core Intel Xeon processors, up to 1.5TB of ECC RAM, up to 4TB of SSD storage, up to AMD Radeon Pro Vega II Duo graphics with 64GB of HBM2 memory, and eight PCIe expansion slots for maximum performance, expansion, and configurability.

The new design includes a stainless steel frame with smooth handles and an aluminum housing that lifts off for 360-degree access to the entire system. The housing also features a unique lattice pattern, which has already been referred to as a cheese grater, to maximize airflow and quiet operation.

[​IMG]

Apple's Pro Display XDR is a 32-inch 6K monitor with a P3 wide color gamut and true 10-bit color support, 1,600 nits of peak brightness, a 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio, and a super-wide, off-axis viewing angle.

The new Mac Pro will start at $5,999, while the Pro Display XDR will start at $4,999 with an optional $999 stand.

Update: Apple's homepage now says the new Mac Pro and Pro Display XDR are "coming this fall." It's unclear if the "September" timeframe was simply a mistake or prematurely-revealed information. We've yet to hear back from Apple.

Article Link: Apple Says New Mac Pro and Pro Display XDR Are Coming in September [Updated]

2. haruhiko, Jun 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2019

haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

3 more months for us to sell our kidneys.

(Okay, okay, I know that this product is not for us and is for the real pros :p)

3. BvizioN, Jun 10, 2019

BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

iPhone XI keynote confirmed for September In case there was ever a doubt ;)

4. Macpro2019 macrumors member

I’m ready! Just the desktop...not the monitor.

5. iBungie macrumors regular

Time to start building up savings and credit status! With my experience of currently using a maxed out 2010MP the investment will be for an upgradable machine that will likewise be a useful tool for years to come.

6. hetrigger macrumors regular

hetrigger

Oh, goodie...I can save up for the new iPhone instead of spending $10-12K plus!!! Yay me!

7. MacFather, Jun 10, 2019

MacFather macrumors 6502a

MacFather

Great news for tens of dozens of people who will actually buy these. A vast majority of the creative individuals like video editors, musicians, photographers and graphic designers is priced out of the Mac Pro market.

8. centauratlas macrumors 65816

centauratlas

Much as I would like this, the price is just outrageous for a reasonably equipped machine. :)

9. -DMN- macrumors newbie

-DMN-

U.S site does not display the release date for me...Anyone else??

10. bigserve100 macrumors newbie

started saving my money already. $66 / day * 3 months. just cant eat or go out at all.

11. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

For people who this Mac Pro is aimed to, the price they pay is quite affordable. No kidney drama!

12. dmille6 macrumors newbie

i just look forward to some of this technology trickling down to the more consumer models over time. I've got all i need for now.. I'm also curious to see what the next step for the macbook pro will be.

13. itsmilo macrumors 68020

itsmilo

Well I just hope the stand won’t be delayed due to high amend and I need to use the display on my lap instead

14. alphaswift macrumors regular

You can always go the cheaper route and hire someone to hold up the monitor for you while you work.

15. Baymowe335 macrumors 601

There are more Pros and companies with money than you think. Look for nice Mac growth when the numbers are reported.

16. reubs macrumors 68000

What’s the justification for the $999 monitor stand? I understand that if you’re spending almost $10000 on a monitor and computer together, another $999 isn’t a killer. But there’s nothing else special with that stand, right, other than being designed specifically for that monitor?

17. Macpro2019 macrumors member

Yeah but i gotta feed that person some cookies.

18. Jerion macrumors member

I wish I actually did the kind of high-end work that actually benefits from this beast. Unfortunately, nobody in my office, let alone the building, (though maybe the next building over) has a workload anywhere near intensive enough to convince IT to make one appear.

19. Zwhaler macrumors 604

Zwhaler

It's going to be a lot more than that. Remember who the Mac Pro is for: corporate purchasers and wealthy creatives. The former is primarily who it was designed for, and who can easily afford it.

20. projectle macrumors 6502a

That assumes someone (including Apple) releases new MPX modules. If not, you’re in the same boat as with the Trash Can which /also/ had upgradeable dual GPUs, but a new one never came out. You could just upgrade to the top tier which kept its price 5 years later because it was still the current sku.

21. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

I need to stock up on several blocks of cheese for this...

22. thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

Good news, I thought I'd have to wait longer!

23. LordVic macrumors 603

Wait...

ITS not even ready for sale now!?

what the hell has Apple been doing for the last 5 years.

24. Baymowe335 macrumors 601

Yeah, Disney isn't saying, "Wow, these are expensive."

First of all, professional equipment isn't cheap and those who buy it understand that. Go price an XDR comparable display and workstation. Apple actually is presenting tremendous value in this space. The $999 stand is the only questionable piece.

Secondly, money isn't the only determining factor for buying something, particularly when you have it. All cars are transportation, but BMWs, Benz, Ferrari, Porsche, etc deliver on metrics people care about.

25. Speedy2 macrumors 65816

I've worked for quite a few wealthy companies with very skilled workforces. None of them would even think of getting such a machine, because none of them did high-end video/music editing. I think the market for the new Mac Pro is very limited.