Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CBlakeston

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008
Looking forward to the public release. If this has been seeded to apple employees as the story suggests I'd expect we'd see the public release in the next week or two!

Dordt

Nov 13, 2012
Netherlands
Temperature

I installed 12D76 yesterday on my Macbook Air Mid 2012.
I notice an temp increase about 10 degrees C (now 77) doing only Eye Tv, Safari 6.0.3. browsing (no flash etc). Normally under 10.8.2 using these progs it was about 63 degrees C.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
I installed 12D76 yesterday on my Macbook Air Mid 2012.
I notice an temp increase about 10 degrees C (now 77) doing only Eye Tv, Safari 6.0.3. browsing (no flash etc). Normally under 10.8.2 using these progs it was about 63 degrees C.

So are they "getting it right" this time? ;)

Point is: the more you change, the more dependencies you risk messing with. The fact that 10.8.3 is taking a long time to launch does NOT necessarily mean it will be much more stable than other OS X versions...especially considering that Apple's focus nowadays is way away from OS X. Probably their development team is 1/20 of iOS's these days.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
Hoisted with his/her own petard!!!!!

Actually I wasn't

It's quite obvious that there have been issues reported back that Apple have considered showstoppers.

Apple have responded correctly by not releasing something that would have these issues.

But no release is perfect. There will be issues that are not found on Beta testing or on Apple's internal QA. Or they will have been found but will have been confirmed as a minor issue in Apple's opinion or an edge case.

And notice my use of the word perhaps in my original post (it is an unedited post).

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
In proportion, I think 10.8.3 can ALREADY be considered the longest-running beta ever - and why? Because, if I am not mistaken, 10.4.9 was just a bug fix launched when Leopard was already around.

This time we don't have 10.9 out for the masses, so the effect of this slow development cycle can be felt much more strongly now - 10.8 is THE current OS X version and people ARE waiting for substantial system-level corrections.

10.4.9 was out before Leopard. Also 10.4.10. 10.4.11 came the day before 10.5.1 came out though.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
It's quite obvious that there have been issues reported back that Apple have considered showstoppers.

Apple have responded correctly by not releasing something that would have these issues.
These "showstoppers" would surely have been fixed in the first two betas. After all, 10.8.2 has been out in the public for a while now. The subsequent 10 or so betas leads me to believe Apple has introduced more issues in each release or... they simply can't get these showstoppers corrected. All a guess of course but the lapse of "time" does not necessarily suggest caution on Apple's part.

Personally, I think the 2 people left on the OSX team are also responsible for fetching Tim Cook's dry-cleaning and also the landscaping on the Cupertino campus. Hence the delay. (And since Petunia season is just around the corner I predict a final release next Tuesday).

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
It looks we won't see this being released for a while.

Makes me think we wont see OS X 10.9 until WWDC. ML got a preview in Feb.

sigh

sshhoott

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
People who are saying that Apple allocates only a fraction of their team to OS X and puts most of the team for developing for iOS: Is there any evidence of this anywhere on the internet?

Would be great if you can find that, as, I, myself would like to know how many resources Apple really allocates for OS X. For me, this is probably one of the biggest factors in purchasing the next Mac because it shows what direction the company is heading in. I would expect premium software from a premium machine.

vea1083

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2011
So another week begins...

Well, another week begins and we again play the 10.8.3 release date guess game. I am under the impression that we will see the release either tomorrow, Tuesday, or Wednesday. Although, I am inclined to believe Apple will make a release on Tuesday because it will mark one week after the 12th Beta.

I can't wait to see what stability fixes 10.8.3 will bring to my Mac.

DMH3006

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2011
Been using it on my MBP 2010 13' and it seems to work very well,while from time to time the animation isn't very smooth,the memory usage is definitely way better as usually safari would just eat active and inactive memory and now it keeps it at a low 300MB-400MB of RAM.

Also around 25s-28s to shutdown and between 55s-1m to boot and be ready to use(although its still somewhat laggy for 10s-20s afterwards) and this using an 5400rpm HDD.

Last edited:

Verloc

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2009
Been using it on my MBP 2010 13' and it seems to work very well,while from time to time the animation isn't very smooth,the memory usage is definitely way better as usually safari would just eat active and inactive memory and now it keeps it at a low 300MB-400MB of RAM.

Only took 2+ years, if true. Way to go, Apple! :rolleyes:

swissmann

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2003
The Utah Alps
It's got to be this week right? (I've been saying that for about 6 weeks now). Anyone want to place their vote:
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
At least another week

I'm guessing Wednesday but wouldn't mind it Tuesday (6 weeks ago).

epelba01

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2013
I would like to see it today. It has been a long time coming. I want my wake on lan to start working again. It has not worked since 10.7.2 and from what I have read 10.8.3 finally fixes it.

Come on Apple release it already.

ghosthaunt11

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2013
It's got to be this week right? (I've been saying that for about 6 weeks now). Anyone want to place their vote:
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
At least another week

I'm guessing Wednesday but wouldn't mind it Tuesday (6 weeks ago).

I vote today, which is Tuesday.

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011
i dont think it will be out today because its already past when they typically do updates which is 10:00 am PST.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.