Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saldin

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2012
That is why Apple is making sure 10.8.3 is stable and as a result, everybody is complaining about it.

You can't have it both ways...

Apple can very well keep squashing bugs and holding the release of 10.8.3 forever, but someone has to put his foot down, say enough's enough and ship the danged thing already. Remember Duke Nukem Forever?

Last edited:

Twimfy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2011
UK
I get why people would be bothered by start up times but why do shut down times matter to people so much?

Is everyone working right up until the last second before the worlds most important meeting or something?

If it's a Macbook, close the lid and put it to sleep.

If it's an iMac go off and do something else???

I feel like the latest Beta is pretty good but what I really want to see is performance improvements in the Mac AppStore app. I always find it horrendously slow to respond even on a very fast connection.

I kinda wish software updates had never been integrated with the AppStore.

Last edited:

cbs20

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2013
I get why people would be bothered by start up times but why do shut down times matter to people so much?

Is everyone working right up until the last second before the worlds most important meeting or something?

If it's an iMac go off and do something else???

I feel like the latest Beta is pretty good but what I really want to see is performance improvements in the Mac AppStore app. I always find it horrendously slow to respond even on a very fast connection.

I kinda wish software updates had never been integrated with the AppStore.

Slow shut downs suck when you are trying to boot to Windows via Bootcamp. So, ultimately it makes your boot up time incredibly slow for Windows when you are waiting for OS X to shutdown.

wlossw

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada

If it's an iMac go off and do something else??

This is 100% correct. I guess the people that are upset reboot their macs dozens of times per day... So waiting must be infuriating? Otherwise I can't think of any reason why shutdown times are relevant.

RedGeminiPA

macrumors member
May 17, 2009
Altoona, PA
If to you "let it go" means "still whine about it months later". But whatever...

It appears you're the one who's making a big deal about it. Who's whining? You.

I just stated an obvious FACT about the predictability of Apple's product naming.

It's now time for YOU to let it go...

You're not in kindergarten anymore. You don't have to keep harping over an irrelevant topic like you're trying to convince everyone here how mature you are.

If you can't grasp the basic basis of a comment, you really have issues.

ItWasNotMe

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2012
This is 100% correct. I guess the people that are upset reboot their macs dozens of times per day... So waiting must be infuriating? Otherwise I can't think of any reason why shutdown times are relevant.

Because, I don't want to hang around and see if it did...

For example
1. I don't want to hang around to see if "Mail cancelled the shutdown"
2. Or have to wonder whether Time Machine is in a state where it won't ever let the system shutdown (where ever is defined as finding out the next morning its still stuck on the white screen of half-life) and so have to pull the power cord.
3. Etc.

Nor, per earlier in thread do I want to go through stopping all processes, dismounting all the disks,... isn't that what Shutdown itself is supposed to do?

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
It appears you're the one who's making a big deal about it. Who's whining? You.

I just stated an obvious FACT about the predictability of Apple's product naming.

It's now time for YOU to let it go...

You're not in kindergarten anymore. You don't have to keep harping over an irrelevant topic like you're trying to convince everyone here how mature you are.

If you can't grasp the basic basis of a comment, you really have issues.

Hilarious stuff, thanks for the comic relief. Cheers.

lee27

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2012
I don't have any of those apps installed. Shutdown still can take 25 seconds, even if I'm not connected to internet. (When you are offline no iCloud syncing occurs anyway). So it's still inconsistent. Not that I have any problems with 25 sec shutdowns. I don't mind.

On my iMac, From shutdown to boot, only takes 22 seconds.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Installed 1 hour ago and as far as i can see:

- Scrolling in apps like Safari is now very smooth on rMBP (This hasn't been so in past 10.8.3 Beta Builds) :)
- Boot and Shutdown times are blazingly fast :)
- Wifi seems stable :)

I think this (12D76) is the best Beta Build (Maybe it's compiled without debugging -> GM?).

An hour? Give it some time to grow horns.

My shutdown times are still between 5 and 25 seconds on rMBP and latest beta doesn't effect that either.

See?

For Shutdown times:
Try to quit following apps from the Menu Bar before shutting down:

I get a shutdown time of constantly 4-5 seconds then... I think we should not blame apple for this behavior as Mac OS X is waiting for these apps to correctly close (and perform a "last sync").

The fallacy in your logic is that Snow Leopard running these very same apps does not suffer the same sluggishness during shutdown. (ergo… the fault lies with OSX - check the console logs).

Don't you have to shut down before you start up? If so then at some point you'll have to get past the long shut down time first. :D

It's a macbook - the battery sucks and "sleep" still requires power. Some of us need every bit of juice between "stops". Even that extra 5% saved over the course of a day can make all the difference.

IKAR0S

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2012
Changelog anyone?

Any kind soul is capable of posting the full changelog since 10.8.2, please?
Thanks in advance :rolleyes:

geircito

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2013
The documentation inside Boot Camp Assistant app say:
What you need
- An installation disc with the 64-bit version of Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Pro, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8, or Windows 8 Pro.

Sadly, when trying to download Windows Support software through Boot Camp Assistant, the download starts, but after a while a popup window comes with the message "This Mac only supports Windows 7. Do you want to continue?". I have a MacBook Pro late 2011 (the latest 17" available; MacBookPro8.3).
Of course I'm already running Windows 8 Pro on my MacBook Pro, using Windows 7 Support software.

Hopefully this will be corrected when 10.8.3 goes public.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
I'm not sure what they did in this beta, but mission control is really fast now. It may slow down with a few more windows, but it seems quicker than it used to be.

ghosthaunt11

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2013
Because, I don't want to hang around and see if it did...

For example
1. I don't want to hang around to see if "Mail cancelled the shutdown"
2. Or have to wonder whether Time Machine is in a state where it won't ever let the system shutdown (where ever is defined as finding out the next morning its still stuck on the white screen of half-life) and so have to pull the power cord.
3. Etc.

Nor, per earlier in thread do I want to go through stopping all processes, dismounting all the disks,... isn't that what Shutdown itself is supposed to do?

Do you want to know what I think would be a good feature of OS X? It could give users the option to easily program OS X so that when it shuts down or reboots, it will force quit applications automatically if they fail to quit within a certain period of time.

Mr. Wonderful

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2009
Is OpenGL still stuck at 3.2? Is there any indication 10.8.3 -4 or 10.9 is going to support OpenGL 4 (4.2)?

Last build, a user stated some extensions for OpenGL 3.3 were added. Haven't heard about this build.

From what I've read, 3.2 and 3.3 essentially backports a lot of the features of 4.0, which would be a big gain for developers. I'm no expert on such things, however.

It might make sense that Apple is working to advance OpenGL again alongside of the release of new Mac support for Quadro cards given that they might be wanting to work toward 4.0 support and the GPU-acceleration features that comes with it.

ultraspiracle

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
I can confirm, Shutdown and Boot times are blazingly fast. :)

That's the best thing I've heard so far (for my personal qualms with the OS). You guys with a rMBP or SSD know what I mean, and it's only apparent with 10.8.2. HDD users may or may not see the reboot issue, SSD ppl. definitely noticed it.

Wonder if the "fan spike" issue on the Retinas has been addressed with this release?

Shirke

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2013
I'M excited about the 10.8.3 update that is coming out! Can you please tell me when! I am pressing the software update button 10 times a day trying to get the update. Please! When?

devastato

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2013
I'M excited about the 10.8.3 update that is coming out! Can you please tell me when! I am pressing the software update button 10 times a day trying to get the update. Please! When?

No, we can't tell you.I'm sorry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.