Apple Seeds Eighth Beta of macOS Sierra 10.12.4 to Developers and Public Beta Testers

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 20, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today seeded the eighth beta of an upcoming macOS Sierra 10.12.4 update to developers and public beta testers, four days after seeding the seventh macOS Sierra 10.12.4 beta and two months after releasing macOS Sierra 10.12.3.

The eighth macOS Sierra 10.12.4 beta is available for download through the Apple Developer Center or the software update mechanism in the Mac App Store for those who have previously installed a beta.

[​IMG]

macOS Sierra 10.12.4 brings iOS's Night Shift mode to the Mac for the first time. First introduced on iOS devices with iOS 9.3, Night Shift is designed to gradually shift the display of a device from blue to yellow, cutting down on exposure to blue light. Blue light is said to disrupt the circadian rhythm and is believed to interrupt sleeping patterns.

Night Shift can be activated through the Displays section of System Preferences, where a setting to have it come on at sunset and turn off at sunrise is available. Night Shift can also be toggled on manually through the Notification Center or via Siri.

The 10.12.4 update focuses mainly on Night Shift, but also includes dictation support for Shanghainese, cricket scores for Siri, improved PDFKit APIs, and iCloud Analytics options.

Few outward-facing changes have been discovered in macOS Sierra 10.12.4 outside of the first beta, as Apple has been working on bug fixes and improvements ahead of a public release. With the eighth beta out and the short interval since the last seed, we are getting closer to the end of the beta testing period and are likely to see a public release soon.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Eighth Beta of macOS Sierra 10.12.4 to Developers and Public Beta Testers

2. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

My life is so lame, that this is the most exciting thing to happen to me all day.

3. GubbyMan macrumors regular

GubbyMan

Eight betas! Can I trust them and download the stable version as soon as it is released or should I wait and see if there are any major bugs that could brick my MacBook? :rolleyes:

4. theitsage macrumors 6502a

Hoping for new Macs tomorrow. There are changes to drivers and kext files for Polaris GPUs.

5. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

You might want to hold off until stable version 6.0 before installing.

6. jameskachan macrumors member

I've been having issues with AirDrop, hopefully thats fixed in this issue.

7. thadoggfather macrumors 603

thadoggfather

How much polish does the f.lux knockoff, I mean macOS Night Shift feature need?

:p

8. now i see it, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017

now i see it macrumors 65816

Not to worry. There'll be an endless stream of betas until you reach old age

9. lostczech macrumors newbie

The recent 15" MacBook Pro uses Polaris

10. lunarworks macrumors 6502a

Online store's going down "for maintenance" tomorrow morning. I wouldn't be surprised if there's something, even if minor.

11. brianvictor7 macrumors 6502a

brianvictor7

That is a LOT of betas! When I was in the beta tester program for 2014-2016, I don't remember seeing more than 5 versions of an update before the official roll-out.

12. Crazy Badger macrumors 6502a

Crazy Badger

Only updated to 7 this morning :eek:

Mail and Calendar apps have been pretty unstable throughout for this dot release.

13. crescentmoon macrumors member

crescentmoon

You must be living near Rottenchester....

14. MacFever macrumors regular

MacFever

Nightshift is all good... but when will we get a full dark theme option through out the MacOS.

for example :

dark-mode.png

15. macintoshmac macrumors 6502a

macintoshmac

Reminds me of Ubuntu.

16. dyrer macrumors member

dyrer

17. nortonandreev macrumors regular

nortonandreev

Even the major updates don't have so many betas... o_O

18. dannys1 macrumors 68000

dannys1

Urghh

19. aeshaettr_ macrumors member

aeshaettr_

I wish....

20. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

** interesting considering the timing. I wonder if they purposefully left out any identifiers for new hardware until they are to be released... I guess we'll know in 24 hours.

21. zantafio macrumors newbie

I don't have storage space to install the beta, can someone check if they finally fixed Mail refusing the delete or move mailboxes via AppleScript?

This worked fine in El Capitan and broke with MacOS:

tell application "Mail"

set x to make new mailbox with properties {name:"test"}

delete x

end tell

22. acedout macrumors 65816

You're forgetting iOS7. Not that unusual. How many would you expect for an OS with a completely new file system?

23. csurfr macrumors 6502

Did I miss the inclusion of the file system in 10.12.4?

When I was running the PB, I didn't notice it...

24. imran5720 macrumors member

imran5720