Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
Must be getting very close to public release. Also noticed the start of some of the third party apps that integrate into TV beginning to do updates.

Or there's a horrific bug in beta 4!

One or the other.
[doublepost=1480782903][/doublepost]
No.

There have been some rumblings that like 9.3 last year, 10.3 could bring some iPad features.

Why intro new features mid iOS cycle? That makes no sense on a yearly cycle as it would take the gloss from iOS 11.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Or there's a horrific bug in beta 4!

One or the other.

Why intro new features mid iOS cycle? That makes no sense on a yearly cycle as it would take the gloss from iOS 11.
And yet they did it with releases like iOS 9.3, for example.

LordJerms

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2016
can y'all keep me posted on battery life? i'm stuck on 10.1 wit the iphone 7 plus cause this is the software that drains my iphone least.

Brammy

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2008

This.

The September release of iOS tends to be phone-oriented, while the mid-cycle iOS is iPad features. At least I *hope* that's the case again this year.

alayal

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2015
There is a new feature in notifications with the previous in messages wallet or mail.

Attachments

• IMG_1130.PNG
    IMG_1130.PNG
    43.6 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_1129.PNG
    IMG_1129.PNG
    121.6 KB · Views: 133
Reactions: andresro14

gk712

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2013
anyone else having this issue??? :

Since the last few betas (beta 5 too): when I receive an email in the stock app it disappears from the notifications center when I unlock the phone via TouchID or PassCode but remains unread in email.app.

any ideas how to fix this issue?

alayal

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2015
anyone else having this issue??? :

Since the last few betas (beta 5 too): when I receive an email in the stock app it disappears from the notifications center when I unlock the phone via TouchID or PassCode but remains unread in email.app.

any ideas how to fix this issue?

mine are fine, check your Notification options for all the accounts in mail

gk712

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2013
mine are fine, check your Notification options for all the accounts in mail
i did... everything activated ... should work, but still disappear from lockscreen after unlocking... don´t know why!!!

Digital Dude

macrumors 65816
100 more Emoji! That is how it is better and that's the extent of Apple's innovation these days.

Sad to say that I agree with you. I used to defend Apple and their decisions but those days are gone.
[doublepost=1480888808][/doublepost]
I really hope they have finally fixed the iCloud Notes Sync issue instead of focusing on stupid emojis and other useless junk.

Yeah, the Apple software engineer 'hair force one' loves his little emojis. Seemingly, the 16-year old kids must really like them.

Reactions: bingeciren

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Sad to say that I agree with you. I used to defend Apple and their decisions but those days are gone.
[doublepost=1480888808][/doublepost]

Yeah, the Apple software engineer 'hair force one' loves his little emojis. Seemingly, the 16-year old kids must really like them.
Yeah, it's not like anything else got changed and added and fixed and the emojis are just one small update.

soundslikeaudio

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2014
Well, that might be ok for someone that doesn't have a very large collection of CD's that want ripped and added to your phone. iTunes is the only means to do that. I am not going to pay apple again for songs I have already purchased or new songs I purchase on the OUT DATED CD platform. Also, I am giving apple any of my money to back those up in the cloud either, especially before I take my phone into the apple store for work to be done one it. I already paid for hard drive space on my computer, why would I want to give more money away to apple? But, I get your point as well, for me iTunes is needed and for the rest of my family as well.

Couple of questions about this quote. I'm not sure how old you are, but I've bought music on three different physical media types. Vinyl, cassette, and CD. Each time I wanted that music in a different format, I either had to figure out a way to transcode from one to the other, or I bought the record again in the new format I know needed to use. The comment, "I'm not going to pay apple again for songs I've already purchased or new songs I purchase on the OUT DATED CD platform". Since you're buying CD's, you can't be paying Apple AGAIN for anything, Apple doesn't sell CD's so therefore you never paid Apple for any of that in the first place. I couldn't bring an LP I bought at Peaches and ask Tower to give me the CD. Also, you are openly saying you're well aware that you're buying an outdated format that Apple does not sell or make any money from, and therefore are forced to use iTunes, which is the same as buying only cassette tapes today for a car that only has a CD player, and somehow concluding this is your car manufacturers fault. In fact, your car company is going to tell you that you need to buy the CD or handle the format shift on your own time and send you on your way, not make something that can help you move over to the new format.

As to paying Apple to back up, a) music not purchased from iTunes is not backed up, its against the licensing terms offered by the RIAA, so no one from apple is asking for your money to back up something that cannot legally be back up through iCloud, since again, you chose to purchase this from someone other than apple. So while you paid the RIAA for that song, you haven't paid apple a dime, and they have no obligation to backup your data for you for free. Not sure what you do for a living, but I doubt you do it for free. And b), you said yourself the songs are on the drive. Under what circumstance would you pay apple to backup files you already have saved on another storage device?

Finally, as someone who has an approx 26,000 song library, a lot of it ripped from LP or alternate mixes I've done over the years etc, they have exactly the service for people like us. iTunes Match is designed for exactly your use case. They have freed the Iphone from iTunes. But server space and bandwidth isn't free, so they charge $25 a year for it. I know I'll spend more than that re-buying those records if I were to say have a flood or house fire, so I'd pay $25 a year for the backup features alone, ignoring its other advantages. I suppose what was meant was "free the Iphone from depending on iTunes (which will cost Apple money in engineering time, licensing, storage, and bandwidth), and do it for free".

Transferring formats cost time and money. Apple has made both options available to you: continue using iTunes at no cost to you but you've got to do your due diligence, or for a small fee we will backup and re license music that YOU BOUGHT FROM SOMEONE ELSE. Apples not hustling you for money for "backups" or for music you already purchased, you seem to be expecting them to do something that costs them money, for free, when they've engineered two different ways to do exactly that, one of which is totally free.

I don't often jump into these discussions, but the attitudes expressed in this post are absurd. Columbia house didn't come upgrade all my cassettes to CD for me, and I'm still transferring LP's in real time from phonograph to USB. Either do your due diligence, or use the affordable service that exists to help you with exactly that. Don't act like apple has you by the balls.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
The TV app is available on iOS devices and the Apple TV, and in iOS 10.2, the "Videos" app has been replaced entirely with the new "TV" app, which will now serve as the iOS TV and movie hub.

And why doesn't anyone mention at all that the new TV app is only available in US?

Moorepheus

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
Niagara Falls, NY
Couple of questions about this quote. I'm not sure how old you are, but I've bought music on three different physical media types. Vinyl, cassette, and CD. Each time I wanted that music in a different format, I either had to figure out a way to transcode from one to the other, or I bought the record again in the new format I know needed to use. The comment, "I'm not going to pay apple again for songs I've already purchased or new songs I purchase on the OUT DATED CD platform". Since you're buying CD's, you can't be paying Apple AGAIN for anything, Apple doesn't sell CD's so therefore you never paid Apple for any of that in the first place. I couldn't bring an LP I bought at Peaches and ask Tower to give me the CD. Also, you are openly saying you're well aware that you're buying an outdated format that Apple does not sell or make any money from, and therefore are forced to use iTunes, which is the same as buying only cassette tapes today for a car that only has a CD player, and somehow concluding this is your car manufacturers fault. In fact, your car company is going to tell you that you need to buy the CD or handle the format shift on your own time and send you on your way, not make something that can help you move over to the new format.

As to paying Apple to back up, a) music not purchased from iTunes is not backed up, its against the licensing terms offered by the RIAA, so no one from apple is asking for your money to back up something that cannot legally be back up through iCloud, since again, you chose to purchase this from someone other than apple. So while you paid the RIAA for that song, you haven't paid apple a dime, and they have no obligation to backup your data for you for free. Not sure what you do for a living, but I doubt you do it for free. And b), you said yourself the songs are on the drive. Under what circumstance would you pay apple to backup files you already have saved on another storage device?

Finally, as someone who has an approx 26,000 song library, a lot of it ripped from LP or alternate mixes I've done over the years etc, they have exactly the service for people like us. iTunes Match is designed for exactly your use case. They have freed the Iphone from iTunes. But server space and bandwidth isn't free, so they charge $25 a year for it. I know I'll spend more than that re-buying those records if I were to say have a flood or house fire, so I'd pay $25 a year for the backup features alone, ignoring its other advantages. I suppose what was meant was "free the Iphone from depending on iTunes (which will cost Apple money in engineering time, licensing, storage, and bandwidth), and do it for free".

Transferring formats cost time and money. Apple has made both options available to you: continue using iTunes at no cost to you but you've got to do your due diligence, or for a small fee we will backup and re license music that YOU BOUGHT FROM SOMEONE ELSE. Apples not hustling you for money for "backups" or for music you already purchased, you seem to be expecting them to do something that costs them money, for free, when they've engineered two different ways to do exactly that, one of which is totally free.

I don't often jump into these discussions, but the attitudes expressed in this post are absurd. Columbia house didn't come upgrade all my cassettes to CD for me, and I'm still transferring LP's in real time from phonograph to USB. Either do your due diligence, or use the affordable service that exists to help you with exactly that. Don't act like apple has you by the balls.

First, thanks for the BOOK, I needed some light reading to start my day. I have listened on all those platforms as well, owned on all those platforms as well. However, times are different, we didn't have iPods to copy our songs to back then. I do recall, if I had a LP, I could copy it to a Cassette tape, in fact, I have done that before, so I would not have to buy the "Cassette" version of THRILLER to play in my car...lol, crap, I even recorded from live radio stream onto a cassette tape. I have even listened on an 8 track tape player in my beat up 72 Plymouth Newport in my first car...lol. So, the abilities, even back then, to copy songs from one media type to another were there and I tried to use them when I could. As for the comment about the "OUT DATED CD", it was meant as sarcasm. Hard to express that in text. And what I meant by Paying Apple again, I was referring to iTunes Match, I know Apple doesn't sell CDs. My point was all the "APPLE" tax we pay to do the things that iTunes on our PC/MAC allows us to do already. I don't want to pay APPLE anything else, period, for things I have already paid for. However, with that said, I have purchased songs from iTunes, the quality of which I thought sucked. I so disappointed in the quality, that I went and bought those songs on CD so I could have a better quality of those songs. Even if iTunes Match was free, I doubt I would use it, ok, maybe I would, but from my experience, music I get from iTunes just doesn't match the quality I can rip from my own CD.

And here is where I leave it. You like things the way you like it and I like things the way I like it, let it be that way. I am not, in any way taking away what you like or dislike about APPLE. I just stated my opinion, if you don't like it, that's fine, not forcing you too, just like I hope you don't force me to like yours.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.