Apple Seeds Fifth Beta of macOS Catalina to Developers

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 31, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today seeded the fifth beta of macOS 10.15 Catalina for testing purposes, a little over two weeks after seeding the fourth macOS Catalina beta and more than a month after the new Mac operating system update was first unveiled at the Worldwide Developers Conference.

The new macOS Catalina beta can be downloaded using the Software Update mechanism in System Preferences. As with all new betas, macOS Catalina should not be installed on a primary machine because it is early release software and has bugs.

[​IMG]

macOS Catalina eliminates the iTunes app, splitting it into Music, Podcasts, and TV apps. The Apple Music and Apple Podcasts apps are available now, while the Apple TV app is coming later this year.

The three new apps offer similar functionality to iTunes, but are split up by feature. iOS device management is still available on the Mac, but it's now done through the Finder rather than iTunes.

With a new Sidecar feature, you can turn your iPad into a second display for your Mac with just the click of a button. The Apple Pencil works with Sidecar, so you can turn your iPad into a drawing tablet in apps like Photoshop and Illustrator.

Your Apple Watch can be used to approve security prompts for passwords and other info in macOS Catalina, and Macs with a T2 chip now support Activation Lock, making them more secure. There's a new Find My that brings the Find My Mac app to the Mac for the first time and even lets you track your devices when they're offline, or, in the case of notebooks, closed.

Screen Time is available on the Mac as well as iOS devices, and Project Catalyst, a new Apple initiative, will let developers easily port their iPad apps over to the Mac to increase the number of Mac apps available.

There's a new Photos interface that surfaces your best photos organized by day, month, or year, there's a new start page in Safari, Mail has new tools for muting email threads and blocking senders, and the Reminders app has been overhauled. 32-bit apps no longer work in macOS Catalina, which is something to be aware of before installing the beta.

For more details on macOS Catalina, make sure to check out our macOS Catalina roundup.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Fifth Beta of macOS Catalina to Developers

2. tethead macrumors 6502

tethead

I'm hopeful the extra days before releasing this means they will have fixed the extremely long update times some of us had on b4. As mine took around 40 hours last time (!!), I will hold off until some of you who had issues last time around verify that it's all fine now.

3. dsampley macrumors 6502

dsampley

Downloading now. For me, this go round has been pretty stable.

4. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

5. Chris The Bipolarbear macrumors regular

Chris The Bipolarbear

I am updating my 2013 iMac just now once downloaded will time how long it takes and get back to you up date is 2.98gb

6. brett402 macrumors newbie

brett402

I hope this fixes the issue where I can't sync my iPod or iPad because "there is not enough memory available" and therefore I can't sync my photo albums from my mac. anyone else having this issue?

7. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

This better fix the ridiculous installation hang ups. I’ve been reading up to 36 hours for install time in the Catalina forum and PB2 installation hang is what caused me to roll back to Mojave.

8. RipNoCellular macrumors newbie

2,98 gig on iMac, 3,41 gig on MacBook Pro 13 inch 2018 tb

9. chrisdazzo, Jul 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2019

chrisdazzo macrumors 6502a

chrisdazzo

Fingers crossed that Music playlists/libraries and Photos libraries issues are fixed. I'd love to install earlier this time around.

*frantically backs up with Time Machine*

Edit: Build 19A526h, previously 19A512f, so 14 major builds ahead I guess? 8 additional minor builds (from a), or 2 (from f)?

10. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68030

PBG4 Dude

Time is a stripper, doing it just for you.

Dig your user icon. :)

11. retrospek macrumors 6502a

retrospek

Just hope Music now works - as all I had previously was 'Loading Music Library' all the time.

12. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

Hopefully this will fix the App Store issues.

13. Ludatyk macrumors 68000

Ludatyk

I haven’t ran into App Store issues... what are you referring to?

14. azentropy macrumors 68020

azentropy

Hopefully PB follows shortly. The last one freezes my 2015 13 MBP when trying to sleep.

15. R3k macrumors 6502a

Cant log in, cant run updates, etc.

16. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

I can't sign on, and can't update apps. Been going on for 4 betas.

And it's interesting that this is only happening for some people.

17. kissmo macrumors 6502a

I usually played with Betas, now I am happy I didn’t especially on Catalina.
    iPad pro 11 is the only device on beta for me... I can’t take anymore the frustrations of PBs...

18. R3k macrumors 6502a

Keep us updated, i was having same issue. So you were having it with DEV Beta 4? So if the next Public version is the same as DEV Beta 4, then I will continue to wait (I went back to Mojave).

19. Chris The Bipolarbear macrumors regular

Chris The Bipolarbear

Update once downloaded took 22 minutes to install

20. MauiPa macrumors 6502

Strange. What wireless do you have, smoke signals? Seriously though, my update was fast, I am in Public beta, not developer, not sure why that should impact it.

21. waquzy macrumors 6502a

waquzy

22. MauiPa macrumors 6502

sounds like you made the right choice. Catalina has been pretty clean and stable for me, I only reported 2 bugs, and everything essential works just fine.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 31, 2019 ---
    Has anyone else had trouble with Bluetooth Audio on Catalina? I cannot get sound out of powerbeats3 and AirPods, both of which work fine on my iPhone and Apple Watch. Bluetooth Explorer reports error in libdispatch. Hoping its fixed in this beta

23. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

Hopefully I can install this one. Beta 4 always gave me the prohibitory symbol when it rebooted during installation.