Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jezbd1997

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
Melbourne - Australia
I get lots fewer beach balls on Sierra when compared to El Capitan but I have noticed Sierra does not play with VMWare Fusion as well and it takes far longer to boot. A full system restart (OS X and 2 VM's: 1 for XP and one for Win10) with opening Word/Excel/XCode/Mail/Word(Win10)/preview/Safari can take me 15-20 minutes while El Capitan took about 5-10 minutes.

Old 2009 iMac with 1TB mechanical HD and 16GB RAM. Looking forward to new iMac options....
If you stuck with an older OS it would obviously run better. You can still reinstall an older system
[doublepost=1488933079][/doublepost]
I really wish that Sierra could be as much efficient and stable as El Capitan was.

El Cap was much better on ram managing
I'm on Sierra 10.12.1 (wanting to keep the battery time remaining indicator in the menu bar on my 2015 Air) and it's plenty more stable than El Capitan ever was. That was the most problematic release of mac os EVER.
I might end up updating to a later version of Sierra (or 10.13)

adib

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2010
Singapore
IMO ... nightshift is not such an important feature.... particularly for a non-mobile operating system.
The vast majority of workforce don't look at their computer screens at night so this doesn't benefit them.

Apple should spend their effort improving other areas of OSX.

a. The "vast majority of workforce" are on Windows. Independent people work during non-regular hours.
b. The languishing of Mac Pro and Mac Mini shows that macOS is now primarily a mobile operating system.

briloronmacrumo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2008
USA
EL Cap and Sierra are design for Solid State Hard Drives (SSD)
My view is El Cap and Sierra are much more complex, disk intensive OS versions than the older OS X releases ( such as 10.6 Snow Leopard ), so they REQUIRE an SSD to even be tolerable. As a Mac developer, I often boot 10.6 from a hard drive and the boot time is FASTER than my boot time of El Cap/Sierra with an SSD ( both on the same iMac ).

My point is all this "El Cap was designed for SSD" might have some truth to it but in my view the OS's complexity and increased size was saved by SSD's speed and the "planning" is mostly marketing spin.

Reactions: adib

crescentmoon

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2016
Denver
For my uses, I wish there was some way to divorce sierra's OS from the iOS integration. iOS just uses up space and energy....

tmoerel

Suspended
Jan 24, 2008
Night Shift, Shanghainese and cricket scores? This is about the least exciting macOS update I can remember.

Cricket scores...because more than 1 billion people follow cricket. There is more people following cricket than there is people following American Football!

robjmurphy

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2004
East Anglia, UK
Does anyone notice battery remaining time in iStat Menus not changing? My MBP 13" TB is stuck at 20:00 ;) If only. Was working before b5, how accurately is anyone's guess - I couldn't be bothered to record it.

[UPDATE] - Ignore - it's working again now. Must have been a temporary glitch. Phew!

Last edited:

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
"cricket scores" - They need to appeal to India as they are doing for China, revenue, revenue, revenue. That is all that matters now. A profitable company at the cost of image.

Appealing to India? And then talking about "cost to image"? Wow. You need to reboot the antiquity out of your brain.

If you think it is about IPL, which is Indian Premier League, it is a bouquet of cricketers from around the world. This "appeal" is not at all directed at India. But yes, some people and the mindset regarding India just does not change.

Reactions: Jayderek

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
"cricket scores" - They need to appeal to India as they are doing for China, revenue, revenue, revenue. That is all that matters now. A profitable company at the cost of image.

"At the cost of image?" What "image," exactly? The image that Apple only caters to white Americans who watch the NFL? guess what? There's a big world out there, and other countries use other languages, watch other kinds of sports, and *gasp* even look different!

Reactions: Jayderek and dmnc

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I wish they would fix interface glitches on certain hardware. I've had highlight issues present (in only Coda) on my 2013 MacBook Air for two years now. Panic has had a bug filed with them, but Apple has likely felt that it's not important enough to fix. It affects me all day, every day. Do I have to buy new hardware just to fix this one issue? That's a bit ridiculous when things worked fine up until the bug was introduced.

Reactions: xgman

bkaus

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2014
Wow, this was the longest to update patch release in a long time!

Nightshift doesn't work (not available) on my mac-mini with an external monitor.

Search in the settings search box brings me to the display screen, but no options.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
a. The "vast majority of workforce" are on Windows. Independent people work during non-regular hours.
b. The languishing of Mac Pro and Mac Mini shows that macOS is now primarily a mobile operating system.

Nothing you said is statistically bearing fruit. The macOS/OS X install base continues to expand, but keep running off at the notion you have facts. Neither the Mac Pro nor the Mac Mini have ever been the targets of Apple's base users: iMac/MacBook users.

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
On full screen
Ah. So yeah, you're still talking about the reading list. I've been using Safari full screen on my laptop for... I don't even know. Three years? Four? Haven't closed that window in at least a couple, and I've never even noticed it does that.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Woo! Just devs though not public yet. Hopefully later today lol.
Hopefully in an hour.
Don't worry, I just installed it and I couldn't really find anything new on the surface. It seems that most changes are internal.
It does feel a little faster overall.

UPDATE:
Settings now have a nice breakdown of iCloud storage usage, and you can manage it in a very granular way. You are now able to delete individual files or folders from iCloud from the Settings App.
I'm sure there's more to discover.

Last edited:
Reactions: CmdrLaForge
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.