Apple Seeds First Beta of iOS 12.4 to Developers

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 15, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today seeded the first beta of an upcoming iOS 12.4 update to developers, a few days after the launch of iOS 12.3, a major update that introduced Apple's revamped TV app.

Registered developers can download the new iOS 12.4 beta from Apple's Developer Center or over-the-air once the proper configuration profile has been installed from the Developer Center.

[​IMG]

As a 12.x update, the new software may include more significant features than the smaller 12.x.x updates. iOS 12.4 will mark the the fourth major update to iOS 12 after iOS 12.3, which introduced a redesigned TV app with Apple's new Channels feature for subscribing to and watching third-party subscription content right in the TV app.

We don't yet know what we can expect to see in iOS 12.4, but we'll update this post as soon as we download the software and discover what's new. It's likely that this beta includes some Apple Card-related features, as the Apple Card is set to launch in the summer.

iOS 12.4 may be one of the last updates to the iOS 12 operating system as Apple transitions to iOS 13, which is expected to be introduced at WWDC in June.

Article Link: Apple Seeds First Beta of iOS 12.4 to Developers

2. DeutscheMark macrumors regular

DeutscheMark

3. tigertazz macrumors 6502

tigertazz

Unlikely!
    That’s been rumoured for ios13

4. benroberts3 macrumors member

I bet the big focus on this will be Apple Card. It's highly unlikely they will be working on Apple TV+ and Apple Arcade software for iOS. That has to be internal server-side work for now and will be introduced with iOS 13

5. DeanLubaki macrumors 6502

DeanLubaki

Can't you let me dream?

6. nutmac macrumors 68040

Since Apple Card is scheduled for summer 2019 launch, iOS 12.4 will focus primarily on Apple Card.

WWDC only a month away, so all other features (not fixes) are likely destined for iOS 13 (fall 2019).

7. timi22 macrumors newbie

So in June will be 2 simultaneously different iOS beta versions to download? iOS 12.4 and iOS 13, will I be able to choose which one I want to download? Because I don’t think so...

8. Kaibelf macrumors 68020

Kaibelf

I think Arcade is scheduled for the fall time frame, so probably iOS 13.1? Apple Card though makes sense as these are starting to appear.

9. Polaroid macrumors 6502a

Same as every year lol

10. Mattheush macrumors newbie

Same as in 2015. Final 8.4 and beta 9.0

11. Futurix macrumors 6502

Futurix

Apple is not going to introduce major UI feature in minor point release of iOS.

12. matteuk macrumors member

So nothing is new? What is the point in constantly releasing updates with absolutely nothing new. Please Apple slow it down.

13. nutmac macrumors 68040

This isn't new. Apple has offered major iOS beta (e.g., iOS 11) along with minor ones (e.g., iOS 10.3.4). You install different beta profile.

iOS 13 developer beta will be released on June 3 so if iOS 12.4 focuses only on Apple Card, it's entirely possible for it to be released before iOS 13 public beta (most likely hitting on June 25). iOS 12.3 was a 6 week beta.

14. lunarworks macrumors 68000

Every ****ing beta.

15. otternonsense macrumors 65816

otternonsense

A bit surprised that the last three iOS updates are all .x and no .0x iterations, even though the improvements or additions to them are negligible (other than the TV app and some emojis).

16. ghostface147 macrumors 68030

ghostface147

17. jonblatho macrumors 6502a

jonblatho

If betas for two releases are available simultaneously, if you’re a registered developer, you will have access to (for example) the iOS 12.4 beta profile and iOS 13 beta profile. Ever since they started encouraging beta OTA profiles, I'm pretty sure they've always changed the profile for each major iOS release (i.e., you would have to remove the iOS 11 beta profile before installing the iOS 12 profile to install the iOS 12 beta).

18. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

I figured, with Apple Card coming soon there’s probably some under the hood things they need to change.

19. nutmac, May 15, 2019
    Last edited: May 15, 2019

nutmac macrumors 68040

Beyond Apple Card, I wish iOS 12.4 would implement STIR/SHAKEN caller ID authentication feature, identifying verified numbers so that I can answer the call more confidently.

EDIT: With STIR/SHAKEN, verified numbers can be whitelisted against Call Blocking & Identification apps. For instance, calls from your utility company maybe blocked by apps like Hiya due to spoofing by scammers. But the same legitimate number will get through with STIR/SHAKEN.

20. CKohkah macrumors 6502

3 weeks until iOS 13. I think I’ll just wait.

21. matt_apple macrumors newbie

matt_apple

22. jonblatho, May 15, 2019
    Last edited: May 15, 2019

jonblatho macrumors 6502a

jonblatho

Apple does a decent job of following semantic versioning in the A.B.C format (with its own twist). When major, API-breaking changes are made, bump the major version number A by 1 and set B and C to 0. When new functionality is added or functionality is changed which doesn’t involve breaking changes to existing API, bump the minor version number B by 1 while retaining A and set C to 0. For releases that are just bug fixes, bump the patch version number C by 1 while retaining A and B.

Apple's only difference versus the semantic versioning specification for iOS is that when the patch version number is 0, it's omitted. The semantic versioning specification dictates that all three version numbers are included even if the patch version number is 0.

23. iGeneo macrumors regular

iGeneo

Bug fixes and minor tweaks at this point. Slow it down? By all means no, tweak away and fix the little nuances. if you want "new functionality" just wait for the full versions

24. nutmac macrumors 68040

I agree also, but I wonder if that means Apple will offer early access to Apple Card to beta participants. We won't be able to test the functionality otherwise.