Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the first betas of upcoming iOS 17.4 and iPadOS 17.4 updates to public beta testers, allowing non-developers to test the software ahead of its release. The public iOS 17.4 and iPadOS 17.4 betas come a week after Apple released the betas for developers. Apple has also re-released the first beta of iOS 17.4 for developers with a new 21E5184k build number, which is the same build number used for the public beta.

iOS-17.4-Feature-Orange.jpg

Public beta testers can get the beta by opening up the Settings app, going to the Software Update section, tapping on the "Beta Updates" option, and toggling on the iOS 17 or iPadOS 17 Public Beta. Signing up on Apple's beta testing website is required.

The iOS 17.4 and iPadOS 17.4 betas introduce a whole slew of changes for users in the European Union, allowing for alternative app stores and alternative payment methods.

There are new options for choosing a default browser, NFC has been opened up to banks and other financial institutions, and browsers aren't mandated to use WebKit.

Along with these changes, the update also brings new emoji characters, Podcast transcripts, tweaks to Safari, hints of what we can expect from the next-generation CarPlay, and more.

Full details on what's included in iOS 17.4 beta 1 can be found in our features guide.

Article Link: Apple Seeds First iOS 17.4 Public Beta With EU App Ecosystem Changes, Re-Releases Dev Beta

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Does that mean the whole world gets bloaty software on their phones to accommodate EU code?

My knee-jerk reaction is to say no, but it would be interesting to compare build numbers between different regions. They are at least going to have to support two different code paths now. At the very least it’s a fork. But since they implemented all these new APIs, it’s actually hard to say without more information.

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
Does that mean the whole world gets bloaty software on their phones to accommodate EU code?
Eventually likely since the whole world of regulators seems bound and determined to break Apple up into little pieces. They didn’t manage to do it with Microsoft those many years go but now Apple has a bullseye on their back. Get ready to see Apple turned into a run-of-the-mill OEM with nothing special to offer. And as this is MacRumors a certain crowd will also say Apple already offers nothing special.

CyberGene

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2011
I’m tempted to install it but I’m wondering if there are already browsers that support this iOS beta and will use their own web-engine?

I have a Flarum based Internet forum that works great with all mobile browsers on the Android but is buggy with those in iOS and the Flarum devs have consistently tested and confirmed it’s just bugs in WebKit and nothing can be done on their side.

AUGUSTU5

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2022
I find it intriguing how many people oppose EU regulations, which actually simplify the way everyone can use their iPhones. => Do you want to install numerous tweaks and hacks that enhance the user experience? Absolutely! Or, would you prefer to install safe apps from developers who don't wish to give Apple 30% of their revenue? Certainly! Install bloatware from any random source? No! Remember, this is your choice, similar to how on a Mac, you have the *option* to only install apps from the App Store. But personally, I find that about 30-40% of my most-used daily applications on the Mac are sourced from outside the App Store.

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
I find it intriguing how many people oppose EU regulations, which actually simplify the way everyone can use their iPhones. => Do you want to install numerous tweaks and hacks that enhance the user experience? Absolutely! Or, would you prefer to install safe apps from developers who don't wish to give Apple 30% of their revenue? Certainly! Install bloatware from any random source? No! Remember, this is your choice, similar to how on a Mac, you have the *option* to only install apps from the App Store. But personally, I find that about 30-40% of my most-used daily applications on the Mac are sourced from outside the App Store.
That's the idea behind it, but in practice, apple has sabotaged the EU-regulation to a point where it's not going to work for developers. They even poisoned the well for old developers with their intallation tax - which, essentially would mean - if it holds up: No more free software on the app store.

Last edited:

AUGUSTU5

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2022
That's the idea behind it, but in practice, apple has sabotaged the EU-regulation to a point where it's not going to work for developers. They even poisoned ghe well for old developers with their intallation tax - which, esdentiall would mean - if it holds up: No more free software on the app store.
Yeah, their approach is one of malicious compliance, which will not go unpunished or unsanctioned. I think the *world* will see that.

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
Some folk would rather their own democratically elected government had a say on the matter, rather than have an unelected organisation make 27 countries minds up for them.

jdavid_rp

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2020
Eventually likely since the whole world of regulators seems bound and determined to break Apple up into little pieces. They didn’t manage to do it with Microsoft those many years go but now Apple has a bullseye on their back. Get ready to see Apple turned into a run-of-the-mill OEM with nothing special to offer. And as this is MacRumors a certain crowd will also say Apple already offers nothing special.
Damn with the pessimism. If the reason for iOS to be special were freedom limitations… It was not a perfect situation from the start lol

yabeweb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2021
That's the idea behind it, but in practice, apple has sabotaged the EU-regulation to a point where it's not going to work for developers. They even poisoned ghe well for old developers with their intallation tax - which, esdentiall would mean - if it holds up: No more free software on the app store.
Most of them are actually fake free, either you get a demo or a cripple down version anyway.

I prefers to see the price instead of a free tag and then pay to use after download.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.