Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mystery hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2021
What are they using to determine the identifiable region?
  • iCloud account region
  • App Store region
  • Billing address
  • GPS location
  • SIM/eSIM country
  • Wireless router country code
  • Device region and language setting
  • Serial number / IMEI

nsklaus

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2020
i've just discovered ipad high cpu usage when using pencil.
(15mn of use = 10% drop on ipad battery, that's quite bad)
apple always add new features and never fix the problems they introduce.
i bet in this new build they haven't fixed much of those .. bad apple.
hype over hype, pay premium, get substandard software stack.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Some folk would rather their own democratically elected government had a say on the matter, rather than have an unelected organisation make 27 countries minds up for them.
The “unelected organisation” are voted for proportionally by each member countries citizens, during the elections. Each country has a specific amount of mp’s.
Then, when or if the EU want to make a law, each elected member state government decides to either agree or veto the vote. If even one country vetos the vote, the law as it stands, wouldn’t pass.

Just thought I would mention it as you clearly don’t know how it works, or you can google it to find out. Either way, don’t just make stuff up and post it as fact. 👍

SanderEvers

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2010
Netherlands
Oh, it's not unelected, there are EU elections on June 9th. In fact, the EU workings are more democratical than most countries.

Except that's not true. The EU Council (which makes the rules including the DMA) is not elected by the citizens. The EU parliament is. And they (the EP) only get to vote on regulations created by the EC.

So the EU is only indirectly a "democracy". As a citizen you don't have any way to get the EU to make or change any legislation.

Last edited:

DaPhox

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2019
Oh, it's not unelected, there are European parliament elections on June 6th-9th. In fact, the EU workings are more democratical than most countries.
There isnt a thing called ”more democratical”. Its simply undemocratic.

mthomas184

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2016
Cupertino
The only thing I wish we would get in the US is ACTUAL browsers. I cant stand using Safari but not being able to add extensions to the likes of FireFox on iOS is a dealbreaker. Come on Apple

MrSkoTA

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010
My knee-jerk reaction is to say no, but it would be interesting to compare build numbers between different regions. They are at least going to have to support two different code paths now. At the very least it’s a fork. But since they implemented all these new APIs, it’s actually hard to say without more information.
Software identifies your region on setup and then presents your choices to you based on your region. So the code is in there.

Reactions: CarAnalogy

31 Flavas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2011
That's the idea behind it, but in practice, apple has sabotaged the EU-regulation to a point where it's not going to work for developers. They even poisoned the well for old developers with their intallation tax - which, essentially would mean - if it holds up: No more free software on the app store.
Correct me here, but the install fee doesn't apply for apps listed in Apple's own app store.

bsolar

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2011
Except that's not true. The EU Council (which makes the rules including the DMA) is not elected by the citizens. The EU parliament is. And they (the EP) only get to vote on regulations created by the EC.

So the EU is only indirectly a "democracy". As a citizen you don't have any way to get the EU to make or change any legislation.

First of all, the EU Council is composed by the heads of state of the State Members, which are democratically elected as the State Members are democratic countries themselves. This means the EU Council is a democratic representation of the State Members' citizens.

Second, representative democracy is the only form of democracy which exists in practice, with various degrees of semi-direct power given to citizens, but typically it's the representatives that either propose or vote legislation, not the citizens themselves.

As with basically any representative democracy, a citizen that wants something done needs to elect the right representatives. In the case of the EU Council by electing their own head of state, in the case of the European Parliament by electing their parliament representatives.

Details aside, at a fundamental level how is this different from any other democratic country exactly?

Last edited:

Tr55

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2021
What people here are avoiding is the real intent of the EU regulations.

Yes the EU is intent of increasing competition and access in markets but the underlying mission is to kneecap foreign companies in the EU.

Europe is not a good environment for entrepreneurship, at every stage you will be hobbled by regulations, unions activism, taxation and such like.

Europe does not have good competition because the big domestic players are both protected and hobbled, they cannot compete with US and even Japanese and Chinese companies on fair terms.

Bottom line this is is also thinly veiled protestionion, we will see this behaviour dramatically ramp up soon in the car industry. China is knocking.

bsolar

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2011
What people here are avoiding is the real intent of the EU regulations.

Said "real intent" is pure speculation and even so, ultimately irrelevant. What ultimately matters is not "intent", it's results.

Would you consider the DMA "good regulation" if it were enacted with "good intent"? If it turns out to produce "good results", would it matter whether it was enacted with "bad intent" or not?

P_Watt

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2018
I have been on iOS 17.4 dev beta for a week and another release download detected.

Did they re-release the dev beta too? Doesn’t state beta 2 just beta.
Public beta 1 and developer beta 2 are the same build 21E5184k

P_Watt

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2018
What are they using to determine the identifiable region?
  • iCloud account region
  • App Store region
  • Billing address
  • GPS location
  • SIM/eSIM country
  • Wireless router country code
  • Device region and language setting
  • Serial number / IMEI
according to 9to5 Mac…
IMG_0226.png

Reactions: mystery hill

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
Some folk would rather their own democratically elected government had a say on the matter, rather than have an unelected organisation make 27 countries minds up for them.
If only the where elected… oh wait they are. The council is made up of the heads of state… who are elected. The parliament is directly elected… and the commission is appointed by parliament exactly how a normal parliament appoints their ministers and prime ministers

Tr55

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2021
Said "real intent" is pure speculation

Speculation hiding in the open.

and even so, ultimately irrelevant. What ultimately matters is not "intent", it's results.

Results like the cookie prompt?

Would you consider the DMA "good regulation" if it were enacted with "good intent"? If it turns out to produce "good results", would it matter whether it was enacted with "bad intent" or not?
Hmmm, which response from me do you like best?

The end justify the means.

or

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

I prefer the latter here.

kave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2012
Sweden

Apple today seeded the first betas of upcoming iOS 17.4 and iPadOS 17.4 updates to public beta testers, allowing non-developers to test the software ahead of its release. The public iOS 17.4 and iPadOS 17.4 betas come a week after Apple released the betas for developers. Apple has also re-released the first beta of iOS 17.4 for developers with a new 21E5184k build number, which is the same build number used for the public beta.

iOS-17.4-Feature-Orange.jpg

Public beta testers can get the beta by opening up the Settings app, going to the Software Update section, tapping on the "Beta Updates" option, and toggling on the iOS 17 or iPadOS 17 Public Beta. Signing up on Apple's beta testing website is required.

The iOS 17.4 and iPadOS 17.4 betas introduce a whole slew of changes for users in the European Union, allowing for alternative app stores and alternative payment methods.

There are new options for choosing a default browser, NFC has been opened up to banks and other financial institutions, and browsers aren't mandated to use WebKit.

Along with these changes, the update also brings new emoji characters, Podcast transcripts, tweaks to Safari, hints of what we can expect from the next-generation CarPlay, and more.

Full details on what's included in iOS 17.4 beta 1 can be found in our features guide.

Article Link: Apple Seeds First iOS 17.4 Public Beta With EU App Ecosystem Changes, Re-Releases Dev Beta
Anyone heard when epic games will release Fortnite as a sideloadable app? I have kids using samsung devices now and they rather not.

kave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2012
Sweden
Oh, it's not unelected, there are European parliament elections on June 6th-9th. In fact, the EU workings are more democratical than most countries.
I never signed up for a totally pointless move of all the whole brussels staff to strasbourgh just to please the french. EU is more or less France dictating everything, much like the US in every other organization on a global scale.

• Haha
Reactions: Lyrics23 and hop

NagasakiGG

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2017
No changes so far, neither in App Store itself nor Browser selection.

Swiss location, German iPhone, Swiss and German number, German AppleID

NagasakiGG

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2017
If your location is CH, you won’t be getting it anyway. Mine is shown as DE and I got the prompt when it restarted after the update
I know, but how does it determine which region I’m on? I know many people who live in DE and work in CH. That must go nuts then? Also I purchased my iPhone at Mediamarkt Germany, so except IP address and GPS, it the signs are more for Germany than for Switzerland (German number, German AppleID, purchased in Germany)

Reactions: CarAnalogy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.