Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
I'm still smarting about Aperture and its non-future as a 'professional' app running on 'professional' hardware.

I don't think I want to even bother trying this - it'll end in disappointment in a couple of years.

I feel the same. I'm cautiously hopeful that it'll be good, but I can't imagine how it could be. My fear (and honestly, expectation) is that it'll be as much of a backslide in function and usability as Pages was when they gutted it. :(

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Meh...i'm increasingly less enthusiastic about Apple software in general nowadays.

*shrug*

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
I can finally kiss goodbye to iPhoto which was crap but don't think ill be ditching Lightroom anytime soon.

Here hoping they will now rewrite iTunes from the ground up.

djcgeez2189

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2015

photos app would be nice but i won't touch Yosemite again until they confirmed the wifi is working its been a mess since i upgraded my 2013 retina macbook pro 15" which is a real bummer because i liked it a lot but having a $2700 laptop that can't connect to the internet is a waste to me so its mavericks until they get their head on straight.

viorelgn

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
Romania
Would love an article about Photos, what is included? Face detection? How did the migration go? How will backup beside cloud work? Does editing/revert back work seamless with iPhone etc? Panorama editing also? How are videos organised?

kagharaht

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2007
Geez you guys, relax a little. Aperture will still be around for quite awhile. Photo App, like all things Apple starts off with will be light on the features but generally solid with the foundations. I'm sure within the next few quick releases features will be added to the App. :)

mryingster

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2013
California
Are there still events?

Can someone who has been able to try it answer this question? I read the articles on the verge, but nothing was specifically mentioned about events. They do mention grouping by year, collection, moments, and there are clearly also albums.

If event's no longer exist, that will make it hard for me to upgrade, as I rely on event titles for searching and organizing my photos.

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
this doesn't sound very dif than iPhoto from the description. i really just want a barebones app that connects to my photo stream on my iPad and iPhone so the images are always available on the mac. I def don't see myself storing my terabyte of photos in an app like this... plenty happy with just using the mac file system to organize those...

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
I haven't tried it out, but I am guessing that

• A lot of the features from iPhoto or Aperture are stripped and people will be complaining about how their workflows are broken because of the changes
  • It won't smartly resolve the duplicates coming from the photos from your iPhone (with iCloud Photo Library enabled) which you previously imported into iPhoto
  • It's either iCloud Photo Library or it won't sync
  • You can't specify where the library is stored on your Mac, so you'll have to save everything on your internal drive
  • It won't work with Time Machine (They deliberately removed Time Machine support in iPhoto since Lion anyway)

DOES IT STILL HAVE THE "FACE" FUNCTION IN IPHOTO??? Yes i am yelling

From Apple's marketing images, it still has it.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
Geez you guys, relax a little. Aperture will still be around for quite awhile. Photo App, like all things Apple starts off with will be light on the features but generally solid with the foundations. I'm sure within the next few quick releases features will be added to the App. :)

I dunno... Pages has been out how long now, with how many updates and it still hasn't regained the ability to do some pretty basic word processing tasks that it used to do without issue. For example, it still can't do facing pages. Really? A publication platform can't do facing pages? *really*?

And yeah, I watched the Verge review. It's as I feared. Great for basics, not great for anyone who wants to take their photos past simple point and shoot memories.

When it came to photos, Apple totally shafted the Pros. At least Videographers and musicians got awesome software. We got... this.

Thanks, Apple.:(

viettanium

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
Vietnam
10974281_10152816049032663_5093730683675230663_o.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.