Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
For all that is that good....third party hosting or this will never go anywhere. iCloud drive, photostreaming, icloud photos...this is a complete and total mess. How hard is it to allow for using dropbox, flickr, or onedrive. I have over 50GB of pictures currently on onedrive. No way would I even attempt to figure out how this app would try to handle that.

Maybe that can be done with the use of 3rd party extensions?

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
The new Photos.app creates it’s own library file. Compare its size to the original Aperture library.

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2015-02-05 um 19.54.41.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2015-02-05 um 19.54.41.png
    69.6 KB · Views: 580

Merode

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2013
Warsaw, Poland
I don't believe they're hiding photos somewhere deep in filesystem. It destroys privacy, as you can't really keep photos in password protected .dmg.

I guess it must be the way it used to be - all pictures cramped in Library directory/file.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
I thought Creative Butt was if you wanted the full Adobe suite of products? Is it not possible to purchase Lightroom as a separate license, outside of Creative Butt?

I haven't looked into it recently, but the last time I did, you are correct, it is still available as a stand alone (although Adobe makes it very hard to find on their website--they very much want you on a subscription).

But I have zero faith that it'll remain that way. It's not a question of 'if' they make Lightroom a subscription service, it's certainly 'when'.

imcquill

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2007
The new Photos.app creates it’s own library file. Compare its size to the original Aperture library.

If you right click it, is there a "show package contents" item, and if so, what type of files are in there?

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
I feel the same. I'm cautiously hopeful that it'll be good, but I can't imagine how it could be. My fear (and honestly, expectation) is that it'll be as much of a backslide in function and usability as Pages was when they gutted it. :(

Their bipolar commitment to professional users is something I really don't understand. It's always feast or famine with them, and not even consistent across the range of products. Why kill Aperture, but keep FCP and Logic? I mean I'm not complaining since I use Logic and am thankful they continue to update it, but it does feel now like the guillotine is looming.

If Apple was cash-strapped, I can see why they'd want to gut products which aren't returning enough revenue. But their pro products were always halo items. Why couldn't this new Photos app exist with and take from Aperture, the same way GarageBand receives some of Logic's pro features? Their attitude towards professional users continues to be opaque, confusing, and usually disappointing.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
I thought Creative Cloud was if you wanted the full Adobe suite of products? Is it not possible to purchase Lightroom as a separate license, outside of Creative Cloud?

Yes, you can buy Lightroom as a stand alone product with no subscription fee. Adobe has also announced that they will continue to offer this in the future with all new versions. You can also pick it up as a part of one of the Creative Cloud subscriptions.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Im glad they took extra time to work on it. I haven't been impressed with apple software quality control over the last few months.

mikecorp

Suspended
Mar 20, 2008
hmm

I'm quite sceptical. I like the Aperture app and the possibility to add plugins and closer photoshop integration. This looks like an Ok basic app, and many pros will move or moved to Lightroom. I hope they bring some smart features, filters and faster performance. Would be nice if the app would work on older macs too.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Professional Photographers: Photos is a platform for OSX, not just an app. The app is only the front end UI that Apple provides. Extensions are what will make this infinitely powerful for professionals. Imagine Pixelmator being able to natively tap into your Photos library and execute non destructive edits that will then become available to your library through Photos.app on your Mac, iPad and iPhone.

Other extensions will add power to those who need it. Need more fine tune control for your EXIF data? More automated importing? There'll be an extension for that. A whole ecosystem is going to pop up and it'll be a serious threat to Adobe's Photoshop/Lightroom monopoly.

Photo libraries are now supported at the operating system level. This is huge.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Their bipolar commitment to professional users is something I really don't understand. It's always feast or famine with them, and not even consistent across the range of products. Why kill Aperture, but keep FCP and Logic? I mean I'm not complaining since I use Logic and am thankful they continue to update it, but it does feel now like the guillotine is looming.

If Apple was cash-strapped, I can see why they'd want to gut products which aren't returning enough revenue. But their pro products were always halo items. Why couldn't this new Photos app exist with and take from Aperture, the same way GarageBand receives some of Logic's pro features? Their attitude towards professional users continues to be opaque, confusing, and usually disappointing.

Please send this to tcook@apple.com.

Thank you.

lvalenta

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2014
But they're not safe, right? It's possible for anyone who grabs your iPhone to permanently erase something off of your Mac, right?

Photostream was great in that it worked one way. With Photos, as far as I can tell there's no way to lock down a "master" version of your library where the synced edits and deletions can't get to.

Am I right? I really, really want to be wrong. Someone please tell me I'm wrong. I won't be able to use this software if I'm right and I think it looks nice.

EDIT: From an article: For those who are not comfortable with storing their photos in the cloud, the feature is optional. You can simply store your images locally on your computer and use the Photos app for managing your files and editing.

Ok, so that's one way out, but is there any way to get the benefits of syncing but still protect my Mac's versions from being erased?

Sigh. Really, I just miss photostream.

----------

It's not definitive, but in the video they show the albums in Photos and it really seems to me as if it had taken his iPhoto events and turned them into albums during import.
Don't worry - that's why Apple created "album" Recently Deleted photos in iOS (and now in OS X).

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
Professional Photographers: Photos is a platform for OSX, not just an app. The app is only the front end UI that Apple provides. Extensions are what will make this infinitely powerful for professionals. Imagine Pixelmator being able to natively tap into your Photos library and execute non destructive edits that will then become available to your library through Photos.app on your Mac, iPad and iPhone.

Other extensions will add power to those who need it. Need more fine tune control for your EXIF data? More automated importing? There'll be an extension for that. A whole ecosystem is going to pop up and it'll be a serious threat to Adobe's Photoshop/Lightroom monopoly.

Photo libraries are now supported at the operating system level. This is huge.

That's definitely good news.

eatrains

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2006
If you don't want to use iCloud Photo Library (and pay the monthly bill) can you still sync your library to an iOS device like you could with iPhoto/iTunes?

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
The Recode article states that metadata can't be added to photos. Does this mean that the tags from iPhoto will be lost? That's the main way I search for photos.

lvalenta

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2014
The Recode article states that metadata can't be added to photos. Does this mean that the tags from iPhoto will be lost? That's the main way I search for photos.
No, they stay.. I hope Apple is going to work on metadata edit..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.