Apple Seeds First OS X 10.10.5 Beta to Public Beta Testers

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A few days after seeding OS X 10.10.5 to developers for testing, Apple has released the first OS X 10.10.5 beta to public beta testers. With only a few months until the public release of OS X 10.11 El Capitan, OS X 10.10.5 may be one of the last significant updates to Yosemite.

The new beta can be downloaded from the Software Update mechanism through the Mac App Store on Macs enrolled in the Apple Beta Software Program. The pre-release software's build number is 14F6a, the same as the OS X 10.10.5 beta seeded to developers earlier this week.

It also appears that the first OS X 10.10.5 beta is now showing up in Software Update for developers who were unable to see the pre-release software following its release on Tuesday.

OS X 10.10.5 beta includes stability, compatibility and security improvements.

OS X 10.10.4, the current version of OS X Yosemite, was publicly released on June 30 with multiple bug fixes and under-the-hood performance improvements, including the removal of the problematic Discoveryd process.

Article Link: Apple Seeds First OS X 10.10.5 Beta to Public Beta Testers

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
The United States of America
Cue the "on with El Capitan already" comments. For once I actually agree with those types of comments. No device that supports Yosemite is being dropped for El Capitan, so it's not like this will be the final release for any machines. But more stability and bug fixes are always good.

Edit: Someone beat me to it.

melgross

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2004
New York City
Ooh! I just love the commitment the article has about their certainty that this "may be one of the last significant updates to Yosemite."

Could they be any more specific?

Reactions: Digger148

bondsbw

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2006
I wonder just how many folks on the public beta haven't already downloaded 10.11, but are willing to try 10.10.5?

Seems like it would be a very small number.

NiCk-

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2007
I wonder just how many folks on the public beta haven't already downloaded 10.11, but are willing to try 10.10.5?

Seems like it would be a very small number.
I have a first gen 15'' rMBP and I haven't switched to El Cap because from what I read it's still not better than Yosemite in terms of performance or stability .. So, I don't mind waiting since I'm not really interested in El Cap's new features and I'm very satisfied with 10.10.4/10.10.5 (so far) anyway :)

SgtPepper12

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2011
Germany
I wish I could say I don't care, because El Cap is around the corner, but the days of being able to throw the latest release on my devices without worrying are kind of over. I'd say at least since Mountain Lion it has become very advisable to wait for the *.1-release. I don't really care much about iOS, because the device is just not very crucial to my workflow, but with OS X it usually takes a while until everything is running as it's supposed to after a major release.

Reactions: navaira

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
Perhaps you would care to elaborate a little. OS X Yosemite 10.10.4 is rock solid stable whereas El Capitan is riddled with bugs.
Really? I have absolutely no issues with El Capitan, and it runs far smoother than Yosemite or even Mavericks ever did.

I think most people running it have a few minor issues (mainly with apps that have yet to be updated), but it is far from "riddled with bugs".

LuckyBubba

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2015
Agreed, regular users and people bothered by daily bugs should NOT beta test.

I'm a public beta tester and I submit "Feedback" daily. I enjoy helping apple squash bugs and replace missing features - I feel as though I use my computer differently than most testers "Mortgage Industry" and hope to submit problems others wouldn't have noticed.
So, the reason I'm a beta tester is: I wan't to help make sure that the public has the best possible experience in their apple product, and I like to play with new features!

El Capitan is only in its infancy and riddled with Bugs whereas Yosemite fully matured with 10.10.4

I can never understand why people would prefer Beta software over established software

Reactions: Joewilliamsca

jezbd1997

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
Melbourne Australia
Really? I have absolutely no issues with El Capitan, and it runs far smoother than Yosemite or even Mavericks ever did.

I think most people running it have a few minor issues (mainly with apps that have yet to be updated), but it is far from "riddled with bugs".
I have used El capitan and Spotlight kept crashing, there's lots of other little issues I came across

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
I wish I could say I don't care, because El Cap is around the corner, but the days of being able to throw the latest release on my devices without worrying are kind of over. I'd say at least since Mountain Lion it has become very advisable to wait for the *.1-release. I don't really care much about iOS, because the device is just not very crucial to my workflow, but with OS X it usually takes a while until everything is running as it's supposed to after a major release.
*.1 release??? Lately try *.3 or *.4 release before you get something stable

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.