Apple Seeds First OS X 10.10.5 Beta to Public Beta Testers

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 16, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    A few days after seeding OS X 10.10.5 to developers for testing, Apple has released the first OS X 10.10.5 beta to public beta testers. With only a few months until the public release of OS X 10.11 El Capitan, OS X 10.10.5 may be one of the last significant updates to Yosemite.

The new beta can be downloaded from the Software Update mechanism through the Mac App Store on Macs enrolled in the Apple Beta Software Program. The pre-release software's build number is 14F6a, the same as the OS X 10.10.5 beta seeded to developers earlier this week.

It also appears that the first OS X 10.10.5 beta is now showing up in Software Update for developers who were unable to see the pre-release software following its release on Tuesday.

OS X 10.10.5 beta includes stability, compatibility and security improvements.

OS X 10.10.4, the current version of OS X Yosemite, was publicly released on June 30 with multiple bug fixes and under-the-hood performance improvements, including the removal of the problematic Discoveryd process.

Article Link: Apple Seeds First OS X 10.10.5 Beta to Public Beta Testers

2. maplingstorie, Jul 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2015

maplingstorie macrumors 6502

lol. no one cares anymore. El Capitan ftw!!! surprised that el capitan's beta was better than the first yosemite beta.

3. lifeisepic macrumors 6502

lifeisepic

ooooh nice will try later and see if my apps work.

4. 5aga macrumors 6502

5aga

glad to know there will be at least one more patch

5. PowerBook-G5 macrumors 65816

PowerBook-G5

Cue the "on with El Capitan already" comments. For once I actually agree with those types of comments. No device that supports Yosemite is being dropped for El Capitan, so it's not like this will be the final release for any machines. But more stability and bug fixes are always good.

Edit: Someone beat me to it.

6. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68020

bladerunner2000

False.

Lot's of people care. Try working in the corporate world.

7. smokesletsgo macrumors regular

8. melgross macrumors 6502

Ooh! I just love the commitment the article has about their certainty that this "may be one of the last significant updates to Yosemite."

Could they be any more specific?

9. Guy Clark Suspended

Guy Clark

El Capitan is only in its infancy and riddled with Bugs whereas Yosemite fully matured with 10.10.4

I can never understand why people would prefer Beta software over established software

10. Guy Clark Suspended

Guy Clark

Perhaps you would care to elaborate a little. OS X Yosemite 10.10.4 is rock solid stable whereas El Capitan is riddled with bugs.

11. bondsbw macrumors member

I wonder just how many folks on the public beta haven't already downloaded 10.11, but are willing to try 10.10.5?

Seems like it would be a very small number.

12. NiCk- macrumors regular

I have a first gen 15'' rMBP and I haven't switched to El Cap because from what I read it's still not better than Yosemite in terms of performance or stability .. So, I don't mind waiting since I'm not really interested in El Cap's new features and I'm very satisfied with 10.10.4/10.10.5 (so far) anyway :)

13. SgtPepper12 macrumors 6502a

SgtPepper12

I wish I could say I don't care, because El Cap is around the corner, but the days of being able to throw the latest release on my devices without worrying are kind of over. I'd say at least since Mountain Lion it has become very advisable to wait for the *.1-release. I don't really care much about iOS, because the device is just not very crucial to my workflow, but with OS X it usually takes a while until everything is running as it's supposed to after a major release.

14. Rusty33 macrumors 6502

Rusty33

Well, perhaps for some of us...:oops:

15. jezbd1997 macrumors regular

MOST people care about Yosemite, it is the current and most stable operating system. El Capitan is full of bugs...

16. jezbd1997 macrumors regular

10.10.4/5 are very stable, 10.11 is full of bugs, smoother graphics, but the bugs are the issue...

17. jezbd1997 macrumors regular

It's 'today', El Capitan isn't ready today with the amount of bugs it has

18. Tubamajuba macrumors 68020

Really? I have absolutely no issues with El Capitan, and it runs far smoother than Yosemite or even Mavericks ever did.

I think most people running it have a few minor issues (mainly with apps that have yet to be updated), but it is far from "riddled with bugs".

19. LuckyBubba macrumors member

LuckyBubba

Agreed, regular users and people bothered by daily bugs should NOT beta test.

I'm a public beta tester and I submit "Feedback" daily. I enjoy helping apple squash bugs and replace missing features - I feel as though I use my computer differently than most testers "Mortgage Industry" and hope to submit problems others wouldn't have noticed.
    So, the reason I'm a beta tester is: I wan't to help make sure that the public has the best possible experience in their apple product, and I like to play with new features!

20. k1121j macrumors 6502a

k1121j

i hope they fix browsing network folders on attached drives

21. jezbd1997 macrumors regular

I have used El capitan and Spotlight kept crashing, there's lots of other little issues I came across

22. TheTissot11 macrumors regular

Hope this version indeed fixes some issues with Finder unlike 10.10.4.

23. maplingstorie macrumors 6502

they said the same for Yosemite during the beta days

24. Four oF NINE macrumors 68000

Four oF NINE

After going with public beta on Yosemite, I'm waiting for general release with El Cap.

25. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

*.1 release??? Lately try *.3 or *.4 release before you get something stable