Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the first beta of an upcoming OS X 10.11.4 El Capitan update to developers for testing purposes, just over one month after releasing the second OS X El Capitan update, OS X 10.11.2. OS X 10.11.3 is also in testing and has been provided to developers and public beta testers.

The new OS X 10.11.4 beta can be downloaded through the Apple Developer Center.

os_x_10_11_4_beta_1.jpg

It is not known what improvements the fourth update to OS X El Capitan will bring, but like prior updates, it's likely to focus on security enhancements, performance improvements, and bug fixes to address issues have been discovered since the release of OS X 10.11.2 and were not able to be included in the OS X 10.11.3 beta.

We'll update this post with any changes that are discovered in the beta.

Article Link: Apple Seeds First OS X 10.11.4 El Capitan Beta to Developers

Reactions: appledefenceforce

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I guess El Capitan will be the first OS in years to go beyond the .5 mark. If that means stability will be up on par with 10.5 and 10.6 releases, then this would be quite astonishing for Apple in 2016.

I prefer the "old" times, a new OS every 1 ½ to 2 years. OS X used to be more stable after the 10.x.5-6 versions.

fix mail, fix mail, fix your stinking mail application Apple.

kthanx

Dream on.:p
Joking aside, I agree, although I don't have too much trouble with Mail it's an Application which SHOULD work well.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
I guess El Capitan will be the first OS in years to go beyond the .5 mark. If that means stability will be up on par with 10.5 and 10.6 releases, then this would be quite astonishing for Apple in 2016.

Apple might just feel shockingly surprised at themselves if they achieve SL level refinement. I saw a professor's MBP, maybe 2008, and I reinstalled SL on it and boy that thing feels so much faster than my Late 2011 MBP 15 with 10.11.2. It is all in the UI. As Steve used to say, Boom.. Boom.. versus today's Booommm... Boooooommmm...

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Maybe Apple is afraid of making a new OS that is as fast and stable as Snow Leopard, because they know a looot of people won't upgrade until they release a new stable one again in 5+ years. :p

RamGuy

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
Norway
Any idea if they might consider to introduce the "Night Swift" from iOS 9.3 BETA into Mac OS X as well? I know we have f.lux already, and I'm using it for all it's worth but I love to have things like this within the operating system itself.

Reactions: boston04and07

EiriasEmrys

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2010
fix mail, fix mail, fix your stinking mail application Apple.

kthanx

Not sure what issues your experiencing with Mail, but I've used it on a daily basis since Snow Leapard for over 5 accounts and only lion gave me issues. Mavericks and El Capitan have been super stable/problem free for me. Check your settings? Maybe I'm just lucky.

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
Apple might just feel shockingly surprised at themselves if they achieve SL level refinement.

10.6.8 is still the gold standard for Mac OS stability and refinement. :cool: Of course it didn't hurt that Snow Leopard was touted from the very beginning as "no new features, just improving on what is already there". And that is almost exactly what they did. :apple:

I really miss that mindset.:(

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
Not sure what issues your experiencing with Mail, but I've used it on a daily basis since Snow Leapard for over 5 accounts and only lion gave me issues. Mavericks and El Capitan have been super stable/problem free for me. Check your settings? Maybe I'm just lucky.

3 accounts, (1 imap, 1 exchange, 1 iCloud)

Mail, appears---: then magically disappears. Again, and again.
Attachements, corrupted- Often.
on and on and on....
Open Postbox, no problems exhibited. same on airmail.

Mail is not supposed to be troubleshooted to actually work. Believe me, for 2 years, I have all but given up... and yes I have started from scratch on 2 occasions. many people will agree that mail sucks, while others will say; no problems here.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
10.6.8 is still the gold standard for Mac OS stability and refinement. :cool: Of course it didn't hurt that Snow Leopard was touted from the very beginning as "no new features, just improving on what is already there". And that is almost exactly what they did. :apple:

I really miss that mindset.:(
Snow Leopard was stable, but it was slower than Leopard in many areas. They rewrote Finder from scratch using Cocoa but even though it gave them cool features like "put back", it made Finder a lot slower than it was before. Carbon Finder was ultrafast.

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
I'm running the .3 beta, and it's great. I don't know about instability or Mail or any of the other bugaboos, and I also have installed El Cap on an early 2008 iMac and watched its speed double.

Yes, linux is faster, but it makes up for that by doing less and being much less accessible to the average user.

Erdbeertorte

Suspended
May 20, 2015
3 accounts, (1 imap, 1 exchange, 1 iCloud)

Mail, appears---: then magically disappears. Again, and again.
Attachements, corrupted- Often.
on and on and on....
Open Postbox, no problems exhibited. same on airmail.

Mail is not supposed to be troubleshooted to actually work. Believe me, for 2 years, I have all but given up... and yes I have started from scratch on 2 occasions. many people will agree that mail sucks, while others will say; no problems here.

I gave up too, already in Yosemite. Never tried it anymore since I have Airmail.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.