Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released the fourth beta of macOS Sierra, the newest operating system designed for the Mac, to developers. macOS Sierra beta 4 comes two weeks after the release of the third beta and almost two months after the software was first unveiled at Apple's 2016 Worldwide Developers Conference.

Developers can download today's beta update through the software update mechanism in the Mac App Store or through the Apple Developer Center.

macossierrabeta-800x450.jpg

macOS Sierra is a significant update bringing Siri to the Mac for the first time, allowing users to conduct voice searches to quickly find files, look up information, and more. New Continuity features offer an "Auto Unlock" option for unlocking a Mac with an Apple Watch and a Universal Clipboard for copying something on one Apple device and pasting it on another.

Deeper iCloud integration makes files stored on the desktop or the Documents folder of a Mac available on all of a user's devices, and Photos features deep learning algorithms for improved facial, object, and scene recognition. There's a Memories feature for displaying photo collections, and Messages has rich links, bigger emoji, and "Tapback" response options.

Apple Pay is coming to the web in macOS Sierra, with payments authenticated through an iPhone or Apple Watch, and new features like multiple tabs, Picture in Picture multitasking, and optimized storage are also available.

During the beta testing period, Apple will tweak and refine the features introduced in macOS Sierra. In macOS Sierra beta 4, Apple has introduced new emoji promoting gender equality and introduced a new look for many existing emoji with new textures and design tweaks.

macOS Sierra is currently available to developers and public beta testers, and it will see a wider public release this fall. For full details on all of the new features included in macOS Sierra, make sure to check out our macOS Sierra roundup.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Fourth Beta of macOS Sierra to Developers

Cam Johnson

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2015
UT
Also 2.12 GB for me. 2012 MBA. So far I've found all the previous betas to be pretty stable for me. That being said, I just do the basics on this machine like iTunes, word, excel, and web browsing.

Supertaff

macrumors member
May 20, 2014
will wait until a few people have tried this. Beta 3 locked me out of my MacBook and I had to go back to El Cap with a full reinstall. Wouldn't go past the log in screen, no matter what I did

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Hope, the 17" come back. I just don't understand, why the bezels can't be thinner when it's never gonna be a touchscreen.
The 17" is a niche product at this point. Most people don't want the hassle of carrying around a laptop of that size. Ditto for touchscreens, the hassle with those is fingerprints all over the screen and a sore arm after extended use.
Anyone noticed the download speeds have been improved or am I just high?

screen-shot-2016-08-01-at-1-20-44-pm-png.642978
The download speed is decent, but my internet speed isn't quite that fast :D

Avieshek

Suspended
Dec 7, 2013
India
Find OLED stuff!!
Quantum Dots Display is better and they are working on it as the next big thing in display.
[doublepost=1470072584][/doublepost]
The 17" is a niche product at this point. Most people don't want the hassle of carrying around a laptop of that size. Ditto for touchscreens, the hassle with those is fingerprints all over the screen and a sore arm.

'm sure, with 7000-series aluminium, newer generation internals with 10nm fabrications, leaner bezels like the iPhone (since you won't hold it like an iPad) as well as newer generation of Gorilla Glass with OGS (One Glass Solution) displays would do all the enough improvements that was last launched in 2011.

Last edited:

ajay96

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2013
New York, NY
The 17" is a niche product at this point. Most people don't want the hassle of carrying around a laptop of that size. Ditto for touchscreens, the hassle with those is fingerprints all over the screen and a sore arm after extended use.

Screen Shot 2016-08-01 at 1.04.52 PM.png

Even better here. :p

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX

my speed went from 3 minutes, downloaded 1/4 of the file then went to an hour and a half.

Reactions: Avieshek

antmarobel

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2009
Brasília
Don't if you people have problems with the two clicks on any icon (folder or files). Most of time it does not work even if I click 2, 3, 4 times...Hope they fixed that bug with this new version.

Loismustdie1

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2015
Hope, the 17" comes back. I just don't understand, why the bezels can't be thinner when you'll never hold it like an iPad.

I'm not sure what this has to do with Sierra, but you should give up on that dream. Apple killed that line and it is never coming back.

Reactions: mdelvecchio
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.